All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

Anything is possible but players are looking for stability on the long list of things we are already missing.
He's a one-and-done wherever he goes. Maybe he's that rare kid that comes through that wants to stay and play for the home fans in MN. Maybe wants to follow in Dad's footsteps. They do come along every once in a while, no matter who the coach or the system.

He's a one-and-done wherever he goes. Maybe he's that rare kid that comes through that wants to stay and play for the home fans in MN. Maybe wants to follow in Dad's footsteps. They do come along every once in a while, no matter who the coach or the system.
Said anything was possible but right now is not the time to be thinking of the U. He could verbal right now if he was certain. There are cases where kids know early and come on board even before junior year much less senior.

I thought Matt Hurt and Tre jones were one and dones regardless too maybe these dumb kids should not go to the bluebloods where they are a guy not the guy...?

Said anything was possible but right now is not the time to be thinking of the U. He could verbal right now if he was certain. There are cases where kids know early and come on board even before junior year much less senior.
I'm sure he's being told to look at all the blue bloods and the G League path by all those trying to get him on that path that will set him up better for his future, but maybe at the end of the day after weighing it all he still likes the Gophs. Wouldn't hurt for us to have a decent year coming up here.

I thought Matt Hurt and Tre jones were one and dones regardless too maybe these dumb kids should not go to the bluebloods where they are a guy not the guy...?
In my opinion they are not dumb. They are making a better choice when they factor in their own hopes and dreams, not yours or mine.

Stability, we're on year of 8 Pitino. That's basically lifetime contact here in mn
Players and families are seeing instability and severe failure. They are talking about it. Other teams are talking about it. These players all talk to each other. The parents talk, the other coaches talk.

Players and families are seeing instability and severe failure. They are talking about it. Other teams are talking about it. These players all talk to each other. The parents talk, the other coaches talk.

I'm aware. That was sarcasm

My concern is next move, people will be impatient and never ending cycle continues

Severe failure?? Hyperbole much?

Save me the response talking about your "top 4" expectations. I'd say programs experiencing "severe failure" dont put guys in the NBA in consecutive years.

Tre would have been if he didn't need hip surgery right after the season. Odds are he would have bombed the physical and really hurt his draft stock

Treyton Tnompson in the house. Currently rated #89 per Rivals

Tre would have been if he didn't need hip surgery right after the season. Odds are he would have bombed the physical and really hurt his draft stock
Nah. Marginal backup at best. Not as good as his brother by all accounts. Pretty good college player and a maybe pro. Draft stock hurt by his ability not his injuries,

Hahahah that’s laughable! The kid couldn’t hit a three in shoot around - NBA teams aren’t taking a PG who can’t shoot and isn’t an athletic freak at this point. He stayed because he had to not because he was injured

Well I guess the Oturu family is too stupid in the eyes of some geniuses to avoid playing of a severely incompetent coach and program. Tre Jones 14th and Tyus 8th in rivals rankings both turn down home team buy into the coach K hype...Oturu values family and friends enough to stay close and play for home state team. 247 had him ranked 50th.... Lets see how they compare in NBA draft status. Two much higher rated local kids Duke. or Oturu playing for severely bad coach and program...... Furthermore Since Pitino was Big Ten COY 4 years ago he must need to be examined for extremely early onset dementia to have digressed to a severely incompetent coach in such a short time and at such a young age.

Well I guess the Oturu family is too stupid in the eyes of some geniuses to avoid playing of a severely incompetent coach and program. Tre Jones 14th and Tyus 8th in rivals rankings both turn down home team buy into the coach K hype...Oturu values family and friends enough to stay close and play for home state team. 247 had him ranked 50th.... Lets see how they compare in NBA draft status. Two much higher rated local kids Duke. or Oturu playing for severely bad coach and program...... Furthermore Since Pitino was Big Ten COY 4 years ago he must need to be examined for extremely early onset dementia to have digressed to a severely incompetent coach in such a short time and at such a young age.
(y) Most excellent!!

Exactly! Neither of the Jones’ or Hurt benefitted from going to Duke! Coffey and Dan both overachieved their perceived time to the NBA. In my opinion it’s a wise move to stay and get the credit for carrying a potentially bad team instead of being a role player for an elite one

Exactly! Neither of the Jones’ or Hurt benefitted from going to Duke! Coffey and Dan both overachieved their perceived time to the NBA. In my opinion it’s a wise move to stay and get the credit for carrying a potentially bad team instead of being a role player for an elite one

As I posted in the Kerwin Walton thread--the last non-5 star to make the NBA and play significant minutes from UNC is Danny Green. He graduated high school 15 years ago...maybe there is something about a 4 star going to a lesser program and being the man instead of being a guy on a great team. At least in terms of NBA dreams.

He was projected 2nd round. He came back so he could try to win a championship and make himself into a first round pick.

With where Holmgren is rated, he'd be eligible for the Jalen Green treatment and sign with the G League developmental program for up to $500,000.

I can't see any way he spends a minute in college.

With where Holmgren is rated, he'd be eligible for the Jalen Green treatment and sign with the G League developmental program for up to $500,000.

I can't see any way he spends a minute in college.
He might decide to go to college to put up better tape. G-league is where big boys play. Imagine Holmgren vs Nick Ward.

As I posted in the Kerwin Walton thread--the last non-5 star to make the NBA and play significant minutes from UNC is Danny Green. He graduated high school 15 years ago...maybe there is something about a 4 star going to a lesser program and being the man instead of being a guy on a great team. At least in terms of NBA dreams.

Who's program is better? They've put guys in the league and that's what kids see. He sees Cam Johnson, he sees Marcus Paige, Joel Berry, Brice Johnson as four star guys who went to the league. Also kids are confident and believe in themselves, why wouldn't he believe he can go to UNC and light it up and get on the radar? If he didn't believe that I wouldn't want him.

Who's program is better? They've put guys in the league and that's what kids see. He sees Cam Johnson, he sees Marcus Paige, Joel Berry, Brice Johnson as four star guys who went to the league. Also kids are confident and believe in themselves, why wouldn't he believe he can go to UNC and light it up and get on the radar? If he didn't believe that I wouldn't want him.

I didn't say UNC wasn't a better program. I think he made the right choice for him. I'd do what he did, if I was in that position. My point was about UNC but it applies to a lot of blue bloods. Its hard to be showcased when you're surrounded by NBA lottery picks and former 5 star recruits, unless you're one of them.

Of the guys you mentioned:
Cam Johnson-Went to Pitt first where he had his career high in MPG
Marcus Paige (30th ranked player in his class)-5 games played in the NBA, less career minutes than Amir Coffey.
Joel Berry (30th ranked player in his class)-Hasn't played a minute in the association
Brice Johnson-21 games played NBA, 9 career minutes more than Amir, so far.

I didn't say UNC wasn't a better program. I think he made the right choice for him. I'd do what he did, if I was in that position. My point was about UNC but it applies to a lot of blue bloods. Its hard to be showcased when you're surrounded by NBA lottery picks and former 5 star recruits, unless you're one of them.

Of the guys you mentioned:
Cam Johnson-Went to Pitt first where he had his career high in MPG
Marcus Paige (30th ranked player in his class)-5 games played in the NBA, less career minutes than Amir Coffey.
Joel Berry (30th ranked player in his class)-Hasn't played a minute in the association
Brice Johnson-21 games played NBA, 9 career minutes more than Amir, so far.

It's not hard for me to believe that some of these guys may not want to be showcased and have all the light on them. Less pressure as just one of the crowd versus being "the" guy.

It's not hard for me to believe that some of these guys may not want to be showcased and have all the light on them. Less pressure as just one of the crowd versus being "the" guy.
Why would you leave and go play for a blue blood if that’s the case...

Why would you leave and go play for a blue blood if that’s the case...

I wasn't commenting on this case in particular. You would leave and play for the blue blood because no one knows who you are and you're one of the crowd. It's the opposite argument of staying home to be "the guy." I would concur that MOST high level players want the attention and to be "the guy" but not all.

Matthew Hurt would have looked good next to Oturu and Carr

Come on, where is your perspective? Severe failure is a president recommending Lysol injection as a coronavirus treatment.

In their opinion they got to play at Duke, in bigger games, on a national title contender, hall of fame coach, legendary program, national following. If you make the NBA anyway why would they not consider all things. Perhaps if Oturu went to Duke or Kentucky he would have been a top 5 pick. People are acting like coaching does not matter in building a winning team but every competitor knows it is the most critical piece in every program.

Come on, where is your perspective? Severe failure is a president recommending Lysol injection as a coronavirus treatment.
Well if we were going to cover my world political or ethical view college basketball would not be on the scale of my priorities. If it was not for the relationships, the experience in the game, the representation, the human interest observation i would not pay it any attention. But this is a college sports board. Most politicians have a winning % similar to ours. I want the teams leader to be better at his job.

Top Bottom