All Things Bowling Green at Minnesota Post-Game Thread

Would just encourage you all to give it a click and an honest read. I really don't see much of anything wrong with what he said, though (as he notes) some of you certainly won't like bits of it.

https://247sports.com/college/minne...cons-PJ-Fleck-five-takeaways-recap-171694600/

1) Minnesota's offensive line needs to take a long look in the mirror​

2) The vanilla offensive game plan finally came back to bite Minnesota​

3) Tanner Morgan's worst game of his career​

4) Rob Wenger's special teams are an issue again​

5) Joe Rossi's defense deserved better​

I can't read any of the threads. Still pining away for those days of glory when we were feeling sorry for Colorado fans.

Worst part of this loss is we had a sold out student section on homecoming just ready to get behind this team and start a new era of fans.

And they shat the bed.
I said the same thing a couple hours ago. If you want the fans for big games, you need to give them a reason in the shit games. This was the worst loss in my opinion in PJ's time here. I knew they wouldn't get a 31 point spread, but this was absolute garbage.

I'll state the obvious. Today's result kinda reinforces the belief, by many, that 2019 was a fluke.

Really disappointing to see such a veteran team struggle when we were led to believe great things would happen.

The good news... Coyle won't be doing a coaching search anytime soon.

I'll state the obvious. Today's result kinda reinforces the belief, by many, that 2019 was a fluke.

Really disappointing to see such a veteran team struggle when we were led to believe great things would happen.

The good news... Coyle won't be doing a coaching search anytime soon.
Wait so the best season in 60 years wasn’t the regular? It was an anomaly?

Wait so the best season in 60 years wasn’t the regular? It was an anomaly?
Being they play more games now, I've never understood the big deal about most wins in 60 years.

Being they play more games now, I've never understood the big deal about most in 60 years.
Most has nothing to do with it.
Name a season better post 1968 regardless of number of win

Of course a season having 0 losses to teams outside the top 20 and going 2-2 against the top 20 is a fluke for a program that’s been awful

My opinion after a long day out of the house for this event? This program regressed 15 years in one day.

You've lost a sold out student section, walk up sales for the rest of the season and then some.

I no longer want to hear the accolades of our offensive line, Tanner Morgan, or our running game.

This was the worst effort I have seen in 45 years.

My opinion after a long day out of the house for this event? This program regressed 15 years in one day.

You've lost a sold out student section, walk up sales for the rest of the season and then some.

I no longer want to hear the accolades of our offensive line, Tanner Morgan, or our running game.

This was the worst effort I have seen in 45 years.
You must have missed getting stomped by South Dakota, NDSUx2, New Mexico State, etc

this isn’t a new thing. This is the worst game in 10 years, not 50

The Madison Thanksgiving game is losing steam here.

Course I'll still be ready to roll

Oof

I didn't see the game. I was at the Minnesota State Moorhead Vs. Upper Iowa match-up, but I was checking the score and wondering what the hell was happening.

I saw some highlights after getting home and it looked like Minnesota just could not get anything going on offense, despite having opportunities to capitalize? What a change from last week, honestly one would have expected the Colorado one to be the game where we lose a close, low-scoring game while this was supposed to be the blowout.

Again, I didn't see the game, so I'm not fully sure what all happened, but I think things need to get figured out with B1G conference play coming up.

Fleck after the game: "This is 100% on me."

You know what that means - squat! It means squat if they don't try something different.

If what you're doing doesn't work, and you keep doing it, you're going to keep failing.

Change. Adapt. Try something new. At least give the impression you're willing to try something new.
All of this, Fleck can say this is 100% on me but it is meaningless unless changes occur. When you have played four football games, and you are telegraphing and showing the same tendanciies game after game that are not succeeding you need to change. Count me in the camp that would like to see Simon take over the play calling.

Is it too soon to give up on winning the B1G West?

Nope. The B1G West is the land of misfit toys. Iowa and Wisconsin are so bad on offensive they'll struggle to score. I think Illinois is out of it but everyone else has a legit shot right now.

Nope. The B1G West is the land of misfit toys. Iowa and Wisconsin are so bad on offensive they'll struggle to score. I think Illinois is out of it but everyone else has a legit shot right now.
You’re in it until you have 3 conference losses IMO

winner of division might have 2

Today's result kinda reinforces the belief, by many, that 2019 was a fluke.
Well .... they could've easily lost to SDSU, Fresno, Georgia Southern, and/or Penn State.

Maybe 8-4 regular season is indeed the ceiling for our mean, and we just hit the randomness jackpot in 2019.

Not sure what to think about that.

Why did the Gophers lose?
1- The Bowling Green Defensive Coaching Staff thoroughly out coached our offensive coaching staff. We had no clue where their stunts and blitzes were coming from.
2- Made absolutely NO SENSE for Fleck to go for it on 4th and 1 from our own 29 WHEN leading. Differentiated it from when he went for it against tOSU when we were in danger of being blown out early. If we punt at that point of this game, there is a chance this game would have ended 10-7 home team. I thought our defense was good, I think BG has a very nice short passing game.
3- Morgan was terrible, but a little bit in his defense, our receivers were not getting open, and when they did, they weren't always looking back for the ball so Morgan couldn't really throw it to them.
4- I don't think it was a bad or dumb play but just bad luck on the roughing the punter penalty.
5- Matt Naranjo's 77 punt totally flipped the field when the Gophers still had a 3-0 lead.

There's more reasons, but these stood out to me.

The good news about the present situation is that Indiana and Wisconsin games are very winnable after what we saw today.

The B1G looks pretty mediocre after PSU/Iowa. 8-4/9-3 is still a possibility.

Spent the day w grandkids so missed out on all the fun. Just checked the stats and Morgan had 59 yards passing on the day with two intercepts. This was following a half against colorado when he has zero passing yards. Connor rhoda would be proud. As much as I like Morgan for his inspiration and play during 2019, this is 2021 and we have got to get the QB position fixed or we can kiss this season goodbye. Purdue is looking for payback for the last game we played in west Lafayette.

Why did the Gophers lose?
1- The Bowling Green Defensive Coaching Staff thoroughly out coached our offensive coaching staff. We had no clue where their stunts and blitzes were coming from.
2- Made absolutely NO SENSE for Fleck to go for it on 4th and 1 from our own 29 WHEN leading. Differentiated it from when he went for it against tOSU when we were in danger of being blown out early. If we punt at that point of this game, there is a chance this game would have ended 10-7 home team. I thought our defense was good, I think BG has a very nice short passing game.
3- Morgan was terrible, but a little bit in his defense, our receivers were not getting open, and when they did, they weren't always looking back for the ball so Morgan couldn't really throw it to them.
4- I don't think it was a bad or dumb play but just bad luck on the roughing the punter penalty.
5- Matt Naranjo's 77 punt totally flipped the field when the Gophers still had a 3-0 lead.

There's more reasons, but these stood out to me.

Nice list. I'll add that every time the offense seemed to have a nice play, which wasn't many, it was called back by penalty. Frustrating.

Need to pass more on early downs, can't be so predictable.

Unknown reason I'm optimistic it's blemish on season with potential remaining.

Bowling Green defeated Minnesota 14-10 today.

The Golden Gophers were favored by 30.5 points, tying the largest upset between two FBS programs since Texas State defeated Houston (-35) in 2012. https://t.co/LqC4J7sKAl

Top Bottom