All Things Bowl Game Speculation

To be honest, they weren't really deserving of the Citrus when they went either, but it was nice to peel that New Year's Day Bowl monkey off the back.

Yeah, we really weren't. Although we played a really tough schedule that year and we kept it close for 3 quarters, Missouri definitely was a better team than us that year.

Although Texas A&M is only 7-5 they are ranked #20 by Sagarin and their schedule is ranked #18 by the same source. That would still be a pretty tough opponent in the Outback bowl. They played 5 top 10 Sagarin teams although they didn't beat any of them. So, they didn't lose to anyone outside of the Sagarin top 10.

I’d love to play Auburn or Alabama.
It would be a letdown for me to play TN.
I don’t think we are deserving of the Rose.

Tennessee had a rough start but they've won 5 in a row and finished 5-3 in the SEC. I remember a young 6-6 Tennessee team demolishing Iowa in the Gator Bowl about 5 years ago.

A win over Tennessee would keep us in the top 15 and I'd take that. You're last game is always the most important.

Think Winfield, Johson, Coughlin, or Martin sit the game out?

I don't think any of these guys are first round picks. Johnson 2-4, Coughlin 3-5, Martin undrafted,
Winfield returns to Gophers

Obviously the combine will help in defining where these guys end up, but it is usually obvious first round picks that sit out. These guys all need more exposure to help their draft stock.

If they pick us for the Rose ? Bowl we deserve it! We won 10 games. We only lost 2.
CFB guys do not seem to factor head to head.
AND If the Rose Bowl can pick anybody let them pick us!

Rose Bowl shouldn't be us over Wisconsin, even if they get killed by OSU. No team should be punished for being beat in a conference championship game. It works if you're comparing to other teams who played in a conference championship, but outside of that it gets sketchy. Think of it like hockey overtime. You make it there? Good job, here's a point. You win? Awesome, here's 2 points.

Obviously there aren't negative points for hockey standings so the analogy isn't perfect, but you get the idea.

Yeah, we really weren't. Although we played a really tough schedule that year and we kept it close for 3 quarters, Missouri definitely was a better team than us that year.
On-sides kick and dropped long pass from Edwards was the difference in Citrus...

It would be the most Minnesotan thing ever to finally get a Rose Bowl bid after all of these years, and have 1/2 the fan base upset because we “don’t deserve it.”

I understand the sentiment, but if Wisconsin gets thrashed next week, there’s a good chance Penn State will be ranked higher. Someone needs to make the case that PSU deserves it over us. All 3 of these teams are probably going to be ranked in the 10-15 range after next week.

I Would Not Love to play Auburn or Alabama! Thats a very risky proposition, as a complete blowout would tarnish the Gophers nationwide. A win would definitely be a big plus, recruiting wise but how likely is that? Not very.

Sounds more and more like Tennessee at the Citrus Bowl.

Tennessee had a rough start but they've won 5 in a row and finished 5-3 in the SEC. I remember a young 6-6 Tennessee team demolishing Iowa in the Gator Bowl about 5 years ago.

A win over Tennessee would keep us in the top 15 and I'd take that. You're last game is always the most important.

Our band could play Rocky Top and our opponent wouldn't be offended.

What if I told you there was another team in the conference that only had two ~top 15 losses and beat PSU head to head?
I’d go with that team provided it did not get beat down at home.

I think I’m going to have to give it to the team who got outgained by Rutgers at home yesterday, and had 81 yards passing. Sorry, but the argument that Penn State is more deserving than us is hogwash. It’s much easier to make the case for Wisconsin, but if head to head records don’t matter, they have to be out of the conversation with 3 losses, including one to Illinois.

I don’t think we’re going to get it, but that’s how I see it.

What if I told you there was another team in the conference that only had two ~top 15 losses and beat PSU head to head?
Who is this other team? Iowa is not in the top 15, so it can't be the Gophers.

CFP Semi: OSU v. Clemson
Rose: Wisconsin v. Oregon
Citrus: Iowa v. Auburn
Outback: Minnesota v. Florida
Holiday: Penn State v. USC
Gator/Music City: Mich v. TX A&M
Pinstripe: Indiana v. Louisville or Wake
Redbox: Illinois v . Cal
Quicklane: Mich St v. Boston Coll.

PSU deserves the Rose Bowl. Their two losses were on the road against top 15 teams.
PSU was just there. In a cluster situation, there is a scenario where they don’t choose the highest non-CFP team.

“If the next-highest ranked team is in a ‘cluster’ of teams, meaning there is another team or teams from the same conference ranked within several spots of each other, the Tournament of Roses will select the team from that cluster that will result in the best possible matchup for the Rose Bowl Game,” said Rose Bowl Management Committee Chair Scott Jenkins.

In a cluster situation, the Tournament of Roses will take into account factors, in no particular order, such as: the last time a team played in the Rose Bowl Game, head-to-head results, regular season schedule, overall record, opponents played, past playoff or bowl appearances and performance, and historical matchups.

It should be noted that it is the strong preference of the Tournament of Roses, Pac-12 and Big Ten Conferences, that the highest-ranked available team in each conference be selected as the replacement team.

I hope it's Tennessee, not Auburn!
Why? You scared?

To me playing T-A&M or Tennessee is a huge downgrade. Bring on Auburn, Florida or Alabama, etc.

No one will pay attention to the game is we play A&M or Tennessee. Those teams are in the same class as Indiana and Illinois. Yuck.

Rose Bowl shouldn't be us over Wisconsin, even if they get killed by OSU. No team should be punished for being beat in a conference championship game. It works if you're comparing to other teams who played in a conference championship, but outside of that it gets sketchy. Think of it like hockey overtime. You make it there? Good job, here's a point. You win? Awesome, here's 2 points.

Obviously there aren't negative points for hockey standings so the analogy isn't perfect, but you get the idea.

Should teams be punished for losing to extremely mediocre Illinois teams. And then get curb stomped in their other two losses?

PSU deserves the Rose Bowl. Their two losses were on the road against top 15 teams.
Ha! You mean to the Gophers?

I don't get this "deserves" argument. The Rose Bowl was always the B1G consolation prize this year. MN, PSU, & WI are all equally deserving at this point. All have 2 losses, except both MN & WI have a win against one of the other two and are co-division champions. Seems to me like PSU is least "deserving".

Can you imagine the meltdown that would happen in Wisconsin if we were given the Rose Bowl over them.....it would be amazing to see.

If it was just us or Penn State a really strong case could be made that we should get the nod. In the 3 way tie of Wisconsin, Penn State and Minnesota I can see why Penn State is getting the nod from most of the experts. Does open up some interesting dynamics with where all the teams are ranked but just don't see it happening for us.

I will be shocked if when it is all said and done we end up in the Rose Bowl. Outback would not be a bad consolation prize.

The only possible way we could go to the Rose Bowl is if, for some reason, the Rose decides that it wants to invite Minnesota based on some combination of factors outside of just the rankings. Like, for example, if they thought having Minn in the game would sell more tickets, bring more people to town (hotels, restaurants, shows, etc.). The Big Ten would have to be OK with that.

I think it's just a bit too far to reach.

The Rose bow is already sold out. “Who would sell more tickets” won’t even be discussed.

Yes I'm sure tickets sell out every year, because of speculation alone. Maybe actual attendance would matter to them? Anyway, it's a far-fetched hope.

Top Bottom