All Things Bowl Game Speculation

The Orange Bowl is going to be pissed. They have to take 2nd best ACC and that's horrible.
That team then will play Alabama?

Oh boy...

Really interesting thread. pizzo had an unexpected take on the fate of Wisconsin.

Pays to be ranked highly in preseason polls. Helps at the end. Those polls are garbage BTW.

i'm pulling for Outback bowl. I'm definitely in to heading down there for that for sure!

Unless something weird happens I assume we are headed to Tampa

My prediction:
CFP - Ohio State
Rose - Wisconsin
Citrus - Penn State
Outback - Minnesota (Michigan could be selected here but they were here 2 years ago. Iowa is ineligible for this bowl since they were here last year)
Holiday - Michigan
Gator - Indiana (Iowa is ineligible for this bowl since they were in the Gator already during the 6 year period)
Pinstripe - Iowa
Redbox - Illinois (Michigan State is ineligible for this bowl since they were in Redbox last year)
Quick Lane - Michigan State
I think PSU went to the citrus last year, no? That makes it really unlikely they go this year. Rose can take Wisconsin, but in that case I'd bet money that Minnesota goes to the citrus and PSU the Outback. But I think it's far more like PSU goes to Rose and Wisconsin to Citrus where they've not been for a while IIRC...

Bowls are kinda funny that way. Sometimes you draw a slot up above what you thought, and at other times you get dumped a little. Still, a bowl is a bowl, and it is what you make of it.

I think PSU went to the citrus last year, no? That makes it really unlikely they go this year. Rose can take Wisconsin, but in that case I'd bet money that Minnesota goes to the citrus and PSU the Outback. But I think it's far more like PSU goes to Rose and Wisconsin to Citrus where they've not been for a while IIRC...
You are correct. PSU went to the Citrus last year. I will need to revise my picks.
Citrus will choose between MN and Michigan.
Outback will take Penn State
Holiday will take whichever team Citrus doesn't take

You are correct. PSU went to the Citrus last year. I will need to revise my picks.
Citrus will choose between MN and Michigan.
Outback will take Penn State
Holiday will take whichever team Citrus doesn't take
You think Rose goes to Wisconsin if they lose to OSU? 3 loss Wisconsin over 2 loss Penn State? Why would Gophers not get Outback?

You think Rose goes to Wisconsin if they lose to OSU? 3 loss Wisconsin over 2 loss Penn State? Why would Gophers not get Outback?
It's been 7 years since Wisconsin went to Rose, 3 for Penn State. I think Rose will like having a division champion. I certainly could be wrong. If that happens, then Citrus would be forced to bypass Penn State.
If Citrus takes Minnesota: Then Outback chooses between Michigan (there 2 years ago) or Penn State (there 9 years ago). Outback takes Penn State
If Citrus takes Michigan: Then Outback chooses between Minnesota and Penn State. I think they would want the name of PSU and since it has been 9 years, it wouldn't seem repetitive.

I’m fine with any of those mentioned, as long as the opponent is not Alabama or Auburn. Getting thrashed heading into the off-season would not be ideal.

What about rose bowl still assuming wisc loses next week??? That’ll be 3 losses vs our 2 and we got the longest drought
They've said they take the top rated team unless they're "clustered together" and there are other factors. If we'd lost a close game today, I'd say there's a small chance they would take us, as perhaps we'd still be 10th or 11th in the rankings vs 8 or so for Wisconsin. Now, I expect us to be 15th or so and it would be hard to justify taking us over Wiscy.

They've said they take the top rated team unless they're "clustered together" and there are other factors. If we'd lost a close game today, I'd say there's a small chance they would take us, as perhaps we'd still be 10th or 11th in the rankings vs 8 or so for Wisconsin. Now, I expect us to be 15th or so and it would be hard to justify taking us over Wiscy.
Hopefully 59-0 round 2 will drop Wiscy to a ranking that could be considered "clustered" with Penn St and Minnesota. I do think some people are discounting the chance of the Gophers going to the Rose Bowl. It is a small chance for sure but not impossible.

I’d actually rather get the Rose Bowl next season, as it’ll be part of the CFP. That’d be two birds with one stone in my opinion. To get there next year it’d help if we can start the year in the preseason top-25. Once you end seasons ranked and start the next one ranked, that really seems to help carry teams that next step further year to year when it comes to improvements in recruiting and making a run at the top 10 by season’s end.
I think Outback would be a nice bowl for us this season. Anything lower seems kinda disrespectful.

Really interesting thread. pizzo had an unexpected take on the fate of Wisconsin.

Pays to be ranked highly in preseason polls. Helps at the end. Those polls are garbage BTW.

i'm pulling for Outback bowl. I'm definitely in to heading down there for that for sure!
I am pulling for the Outback Bowl and believe the team this year deserves it. I stayed at the hotel in Clearwater in 2014 when the Gophs were at the Citrus Bowl but all the Outback bowl teams were there as the official hotel. (badgers were in it). It was a tropical destination for sure. Best beach sand my family and I have ever stepped foot in. Let’s go!

Hopefully 59-0 round 2 will drop Wiscy to a ranking that could be considered "clustered" with Penn St and Minnesota. I do think some people are discounting the chance of the Gophers going to the Rose Bowl. It is a small chance for sure but not impossible.
Unfortunately, Penn State would likely get picked then. They are #9 and there's no reason for them to drop, even if they looked poor against Rutgers, most will only look at the final score.

It's been 7 years since Wisconsin went to Rose, 3 for Penn State. I think Rose will like having a division champion. I certainly could be wrong. If that happens, then Citrus would be forced to bypass Penn State.
If Citrus takes Minnesota: Then Outback chooses between Michigan (there 2 years ago) or Penn State (there 9 years ago). Outback takes Penn State
If Citrus takes Michigan: Then Outback chooses between Minnesota and Penn State. I think they would want the name of PSU and since it has been 9 years, it wouldn't seem repetitive.
Does Citrus pick ahead of Outback? It used to be the other way around. If Citrus and Outback are the worst case.... ski U Mah PJ ...I like this discussion every December!

My money is on Outback. Fun bowl, but not one I’d travel for.

Wisconsin will not want the Rose bowl and they dont want them either. Back room politics will put Wisky in the Orange bowl and Psu will not go west. Its tv and the Rose bowl will want viewers. We are still in play for that. Osu wants #1 and will be succesful in crushing Wisconsin too.

Watching the end of the Auburn/Alabama game and I’ve got to be honest here. Playing either one of those teams is going to be extremely difficult. I’m hoping somehow we dodge them and get Florida or Georgia.

Well, considering Auburn lost to Florida and Georgia, I don't think they would be any easier.

Well, considering Auburn lost to Florida and Georgia, I don't think they would be any easier.
Well, it is a matchup issue. None of those 4 would be easy to play, but the Gophers defense matches up horribly with Auburn and Alabama. Both have way to many weapons on offense for the Gophers to try and corral. In addition to being a Gopher fan, I’m also a UGA fan. Fromm is in a funk and I think UGA is at least “beatable.” Their receivers are average at best so if you can contain their backs you have a chance. Also, Fromm isn’t going to tuck and run like Nix from Auburn, who is a great runner. Florida is very similar to UGA offensively.
Now, the defenses for UGA, Florida and Auburn are another story. Offense is going to have a tough time no matter who we play. All are better than what we’ve seen this year. UGA may have the best defense in the nation and Florida and Auburn are not far behind.

What I don't like about that bowl is that it is televised concurrently with the Citrus.

Same. It's very annoying that two pretty equal B10/SEC matchups would be on at the same time.

Top Bottom