All Things Bowl Game Speculation

Let me get this straight: How is Auburn not as tough as Alabama? They beat Alabama for crying out loud! I would say they are both just as tough. As much as we are worried about Alabama, I would be just as worried about Auburn too.

Let me get this straight: How is Auburn not as tough as Alabama? They beat Alabama for crying out loud! I would say they are both just as tough. As much as we are worried about Alabama, I would be just as worried about Auburn too.
Agree. Auburn is the better team + Tua will not play

There is nothing good about losing in the short, medium or long run. The Iowa loss did not help the program, the Wisconsin loss did not help the program and a bowl game loss will not help the program. 11-2 is far better than 10-3. Go Gophers!!!

MN - Auburn seems almost a certainty now. About 90% of projections this morning with at least a couple claiming the SEC lineup has already been leaked with Auburn to Outback.

Two things:

1) I don't think we will have the option of facing Tennessee (or Texas A&M or Kentucky).

2) You speak of Alabama and Auburn like they are interchangeable. Despite Auburn's recent victory, I don't believe that they are (unless a bunch of players sit out for Alabama). Alabama has racked up 500 or more yards in 9 of their 12 games this season.

Have you looked at Alabama's schedule? They didn't beat a single ranked team all year. I am not trying to say they are not really good but they are not at the same level as they have been at during some of their title years.

We would absolutely be an underdog against them. But that doesn't mean we couldn't compete with them. Some are pointing to the final margin of the Wisconsin game. I don't believe for one second that Wisconsin is 20 points better then us. In crap conditions they played one of their best games of the entire season against us. If we went head to head 10 times I would bet the results would be pretty split right down the middle.

If we draw Alabama or Auburn it will be a great test for the team.

There is nothing good about losing in the short, medium or long run. The Iowa loss did not help the program, the Wisconsin loss did not help the program and a bowl game loss will not help the program. 11-2 is far better than 10-3. Go Gophers!!!

There is also nothing short, medium, or long term damaging by losing to a highly ranked team in a bowl game.

The important record was 10-2, getting to 11 wins would be nice but if we get paired with a good opponent and lose so be it. Would still rather try my hand against the best of the best as opposed to racking up an easy win against some middle of the pack team.

There is also nothing short, medium, or long term damaging by losing to a highly ranked team in a bowl game.

The important record was 10-2, getting to 11 wins would be nice but if we get paired with a good opponent and lose so be it. Would still rather try my hand against the best of the best as opposed to racking up an easy win against some middle of the pack team.

10-3 will be exactly what we did in 2003. No better, no more progam changing, no more popular with recruits, certainly the press and many fans will be pointing out for the next 11 months how we lost three out of four "once reality was restored when we started playing real teams". The Mrs and I will be there screaming our lungs out as we always do, either way. Go Gophers!!! Beat those yucky New England Patriots!!!

10-3 will be exactly what we did in 2003. No better, no more progam changing, no more popular with recruits, certainly the press and many fans will be pointing out for the next 11 months how we lost three out of four "once reality was restored when we started playing real teams". The Mrs and I will be there screaming our lungs out as we always do, either way. Go Gophers!!! Beat those yucky New England Patriots!!!

You mean you'll be watching your team lose in the Rose Bowl to Oregon? That first half must have had you excited last night

I would still argue that 11-2 with a win over a mediocre team is no more program changing then 10-3 with a loss against a high ranked team would be. It was a 10 win season, that is what people will remember. Now 11-2 with a win over Alabama or Auburn on the other hand...that would get some serious attention from fans, media, and recruits.

I am kind of curious where you feel we should be ranked because clearly 15 is way too high if we have zero shot of competing with teams ranked a few spots ahead of us.

You mean you'll be watching your team lose in the Rose Bowl to Oregon? That first half must have had you excited last night

Dang, and we already have three week reservations near Tampa!! Bummer!!

The won't reveal the Top 25 until 2 pm and sit for 2 and a half hours talking the two playoff games? We have three weeks for that crap!

Also, as for beer, my Father loves Outback's house/homemade brew.

I had a steak at outback once ... there's a reason I don't order steak at those places...

yes clearly more recruits haven't thought of Minnesota as a more popular destination after watching gameday and seeing fleck and the U of M brand highlighted. Nationally recruits definitely read our local media who write idiotic things about the gophers. Makes perfect sense.

Looks like the troll still has a lot of people fooled. They are not a “we.”

Looks like the troll still has a lot of people fooled. They are not a “we.”
For the record I'm a "you people".

I have been ever since I had a job where someone in HR responded to me calling me "you people".

Have you looked at Alabama's schedule? They didn't beat a single ranked team all year. I am not trying to say they are not really good but they are not at the same level as they have been at during some of their title years.

We beat only one ranked team this year and we needed three clutch interceptions to do it. We beat only two other FBS teams (GA Southern and IL) who were .500 or better.

Well, in the loss to Auburn, Alabama racked up 507 yards to Auburn's 354. That was with their backup quarterback. They must have made some big mistakes to lose game under those circumstances. If they can put up that kind of yardage against Auburn's defense, I don't think they would have trouble moving the ball against us.

We beat only one ranked team this year and we needed three clutch interceptions to do it. We beat only two other FBS teams (GA Southern and IL) who were .500 or better.

Well, in the loss to Auburn, Alabama racked up 507 yards to Auburn's 354. That was with their backup quarterback. They must have made some big mistakes to lose game under those circumstances. If they can put up that kind of yardage against Auburn's defense, I don't think they would have trouble moving the ball against us.

Wait, so you're telling me teams turn the ball over in football? Do the other teams have to apologize when they recover a fumble or make an interception?? Did Ohio State apologize for that Wisconsin punter dropping that punt?

Wait, so you're telling me teams turn the ball over in football? Do the other teams have to apologize when they recover a fumble or make an interception?? Did Ohio State apologize for that Wisconsin punter dropping that punt?
Lol, regarding the PSU game, we dominated the first half and with the ball around midfield Brooks fumbles. Had he not and we go down and score, we win that game by two scores. Turnovers happen.

Over the history of college football, many great seasons were achieved at the hands of favorable schedules. Nothing new.

yes clearly more recruits haven't thought of Minnesota as a more popular destination after watching gameday and seeing fleck and the U of M brand highlighted. Nationally recruits definitely read our local media who write idiotic things about the gophers. Makes perfect sense.
We were talking about wins and losses, nothing else, not game day, not Fleck, not out of area recruits, not the band, not the weather, not the cost of tea in China, etc.

Last edited:

I think the big difference between middle of the road teams and the top teams is the OL and DL. I don’t think we match up well in that area. Especially without the big guy not being able to play.

This thread has provided some prime examples of the mindset Fleck talks about needing to change in our fanbase.

Anyone scared of the prospect of playing Alabama or Auburn because we might lose is exactly what needs to change. If we want to see the program get to the point where it can compete with the best of the best then we should want those opportunities to go out and prove ourselves not fear them.

Are there some that really think there would be a massive difference in how this season is perceived based on the following scenarios:

10-3 - bowl loss to top 12 team in the country. 3 loses total all against ranked teams
11-2 - bowl win over unranked team

Of course the flip side to both those scenarios

11-2 - with a bowl win over a top 12 team in the country
10-3 - with a bowl loss to an unranked team

Call me crazy, but I would rather tee it up against an Alabama or Auburn and see what happens. If we lose we lose. I would be willing to bet the vast majority of players and coaches feel the same way.

I just don't want Alabama - not because of football reasons - but I think we get screwed in the media coverage / narrative. I want the media to be all about us as the feel good story. Not about how many Alabama players are going pro. And not about Suban whining.

Football wise - I am thrilled to challenge any of them. Just prefer to avoid the Alabama media BS.

Top Bottom