All Things Amir Coffey Thread - UPDTAED: A Gophers Commit!

Are these guys a "package" deal?

I don't think there's been any indication that they're a package deal of any kind.

What is the latest on Amir's commitment timeline? It seems that there hasn't been much action lately. I read on a Texas oriented blog that Minnesota is a heavy favorite for Amir, although I haven't heard anything indicating this from the Minnesota crowd. Any speculation about an early commitment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffey and Curry (insert food joke here) are friends?

I'm actually starting to think we might get these two guys. Coffey, Curry, Ponds, Hurt. Could be two great classes in a row- that's how you win championships!

I'm actually starting to think we might get these two guys. Coffey, Curry, Ponds, Hurt. Could be two great classes in a row- that's how you win championships!

We can only take 4 in this class if someone one the roster today leaves, correct? Open scholarships would be Joey King, Carlos Morris, and Jarvis Johnson?

That would be quite amazing and one hell of young core to work with.

We can only take 4 in this class if someone one the roster today leaves, correct? Open scholarships would be Joey King, Carlos Morris, and Jarvis Johnson?

You are correct. I remember Ryan James tweeted to expect Pitino to recruit likehe has 4 open scholarships.

You are correct. I remember Ryan James tweeted to expect Pitino to recruit likehe has 4 open scholarships.

It's the prudent thing to do. If this were indiana Tom Crean would recruit like he had 5 or 6 open scholarships.

If I were Tom Crean, I'd recruit 7 or 8 guys as well but tell them not to sign until I figured out where I was working next year.

I see he just kicked another kid off the team yesterday (3rd guy this summer). What a great guy and great program.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

I hope his kid does, too!

per Marcus: Top 2016 target Amir Coffey bonds with Minnesota players on official visit

But Coffey’s father, Richard, said the most significant lasting impression came from how Coffey interacted with the Gophers’ players, especially fellow Minnesotans such as freshman walk-on guard Stephon Sharp, junior center Reggie Lynch and senior forward Joey King.

Sharp and Coffey were former teammates at Hopkins and grew up playing basketball together.

“The visit went extremely well,” Richard Coffey said. “The players really got along well with Amir. He’s been back over there twice since the visit hanging out with the players. I told (assistant coach Ben Johnson) they did a great job with Amir. You should be proud.”

The Texas visit Sept. 18 is still scheduled right now. The Longhorns are the biggest competition to the Gophers for Coffey in my opinion, but I think the chances of Pitino landing the top senior in Minnesota is very high. I wouldn’t be surprised if he made a decision this month.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...nds-with-minnesota-players-on-official-visit/

Go Gophers!!

Things are looking up :) A commitment from Coffey would give us that much more to sell to get Ponds and Curry.. Could be an exciting September! That's cool that he'd have someone he grew up with on the team in Sharp

Damn. We are in epic let down or epic celebration territory. No in between.

Reid-gate 2.0

I think it's a different situation than with Reid. With Stanford, you have one of the best academic institutions in the country, and that was very important for the Travis family, which is totally understandable.

Texas basketball, while they have a good coach and good facilities, will always take a huge backseat to Football in terms of support. Not to mention the loyalty Minnesota has shown Amir during his ACL injury. While other programs had taken a wait and see approach or completely backed off, Minnesota has kept his recruitment steady.

While other programs had taken a wait and see approach or completely backed off, Minnesota has kept his recruitment steady.

Huh?

Substaniate that claim vs Texas? Texas has offered and shown interest prior to seeing Amir play any sort of basketball since his injury and offered during his first tournament back. Shaka may or may not have been talking to Amir while at VCU, neither of us know this, and he may or may not have been talking to Amir since he got to Texas. The only thing we know is Amir played hoops on August 2nd for the first time since his injury, he got an offer from Texas on August 2nd. Hardly what I would define as a wait and see approach.

Huh?

Substaniate that claim vs Texas? Texas has offered and shown interest prior to seeing Amir play any sort of basketball since his injury and offered during his first tournament back. Shaka may or may not have been talking to Amir while at VCU, neither of us know this, and he may or may not have been talking to Amir since he got to Texas. The only thing we know is Amir played hoops on August 2nd for the first time since his injury, he got an offer from Texas on August 2nd. Hardly what I would define as a wait and see approach.

You just answered the question yourself. If Shaka was interested before August 2nd, why not offer him? Looks like he was waiting to see what Amir looked like, hence the wait and see approach.

Shaka's style is not up tempo per se, but is rather tight D, keep guys fresh, apply more smothering D and create turnovers. Amir's style much more suited to the Gopher's 2016-19 espresso Coffey offense.

So you're saying they offered twice? I don't understand this.

Huh?

Huh?

Did you even read your post? So Texas offering less than a month ago, on the day he actually plays for the first time is not waiting? What would have been waiting? Offering after he flys home from his visit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it don to just the Gophers and Texas? This would really be a bigger blow to lose to Texas after they offered so late in comparison to us. Reed was offered by Stanford much earlier in the process.

Don't be twits.

All that matters is that we're in great shape for Coffey to select the Gophers. Coffey and Hurt would be an excellent start to Pitino's 2016 class.

Top Bottom