All Things Amir Coffey Thread - UPDTAED: A Gophers Commit!

I like that comparison, but from what I have heard and seen, I would almost compare him to Terrence Jones of Kentucky. I would admit now that based on current rankings Coffey might be a better talent.

terrence jones? the 6-9 250 lbs PF? jones does have some good skills that i like but he is too good in the paint to have an amir coffey comparison, he reminds me of Mbakwe but with a superior handle and shot, coffey is only listed at 6-6 and is very skinny right now, i do feel hopkins this year is right up with apple valley and Dellasalle with amir, jacob wright and kamali chambers after 2 down years

terrence jones? the 6-9 250 lbs PF? jones does have some good skills that i like but he is too good in the paint to have an amir coffey comparison, he reminds me of Mbakwe but with a superior handle and shot, coffey is only listed at 6-6 and is very skinny right now, i do feel hopkins this year is right up with apple valley and Dellasalle with amir, jacob wright and kamali chambers after 2 down years

I wouldn't go that far, but they should be good.

The way I see it, the gophers have done well with Hopkins players, they seem to get the one's they want regardless of who is coaching the team.

We have Amir in the bag.....all we have to do is offer his HS coach a job on the Gopher staff. :p

Big Brock Bertram and Agile Amir Coffey were both left out of the updated ESPN class of 2016 top 25. ESPN and Scout are not on the same page with respect to Amir

no, Pitino strongly encouraged joe to transfer, he hated his game and felt it would't fit the system very well

I'm willing to bet Pitino did not say that. Pitino stated publicly on the caravan tour that he wanted Coleman to stay. It seems more likely that Pitino was brutally honest with Joe about what he saw as the strengths and deficiencies in his game, and what he needed to do in order to get playing time in his system. Joe, comfortably entrenched as a starter in Tubby's system, probably didn't like the idea that he might suddenly see his role reduced as an upperclassman unless he was able to make substantial improvements in certain areas of his game. So he transferred to a school where he'll probably slide right in as a starter again.

I have to admit, now that we're sitting here down at least one scholarship player and possibly two for the 2013-14 season, I wish we still had Coleman.

Big Brock Bertram and Agile Amir Coffey were both left out of the updated ESPN class of 2016 top 25. ESPN and Scout are not on the same page with respect to Amir

Brock shouldn't be anywhere near the Top 25. He has no game at all.

Brock shouldn't be anywhere near the Top 25. He has no game at all.
Brock 11pts and 8 rebounds per game average for Number ONE Apple Valley. Brock averaged a double double +2.7 blocks during the state tourney. Amir 8.4 ppg for hopkins

Brock 11pts and 8 rebounds per game average for Number ONE Apple Valley. Brock averaged a double double +2.7 blocks during the state tourney. Amir 8.4 ppg for hopkins

Cool story. Not hating on Brock because he is a good player, but he's nowhere near the prospect that Amir is. Not even close. You can't simply use stats to determine where someone should be ranked.

Cool story. Not hating on Brock because he is a good player, but he's nowhere near the prospect that Amir is. Not even close. You can't simply use stats to determine where someone should be ranked.
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths:
Bertram is a big body low post player that has great size, hands and post footwork. He runs the floor pretty well for his size as well. He has a nice post arsenal an is a pretty good area rebounder and makes a conscious effort to box out. Per ESPN . Myke the uninformed ...said Brock has "no game at all"

SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths:
Bertram is a big body low post player that has great size, hands and post footwork. He runs the floor pretty well for his size as well. He has a nice post arsenal an is a pretty good area rebounder and makes a conscious effort to box out. Per ESPN . Myke the uninformed ...said Brock has "no game at all"

How satisfying was it for you to type "SCOUT" in all caps again? I'm sure you've missed that.

I'm willing to bet Pitino did not say that. Pitino stated publicly on the caravan tour that he wanted Coleman to stay. It seems more likely that Pitino was brutally honest with Joe about what he saw as the strengths and deficiencies in his game, and what he needed to do in order to get playing time in his system. Joe, comfortably entrenched as a starter in Tubby's system, probably didn't like the idea that he might suddenly see his role reduced as an upperclassman unless he was able to make substantial improvements in certain areas of his game. So he transferred to a school where he'll probably slide right in as a starter again.

I have to admit, now that we're sitting here down at least one scholarship player and possibly two for the 2013-14 season, I wish we still had Coleman.

well he may not have encouraged him to transfer but he definitely did hate his game, i wanted Coleman to stay any way and would much rather have him over Malik, Malik is a nice pickup but Joe would have been here for 2 more years and is a local product, they both probably would have averaged 11-12PPG this year but coleman could have averaged 14PPG his senior year, and as for ESPN and Rivals not being on the same page as Scout for Coffey 247 does have him at #29

well he may not have encouraged him to transfer but he definitely did hate his game, i wanted Coleman to stay any way and would much rather have him over Malik, Malik is a nice pickup but Joe would have been here for 2 more years and is a local product, they both probably would have averaged 11-12PPG this year but coleman could have averaged 14PPG his senior year, and as for ESPN and Rivals not being on the same page as Scout for Coffey 247 does have him at #29

I harbor no ill will towards Joe. He is a top notch person and represented the U well. That said, he has holes in his game you can drive a truck through. Basketball-wise, a shooting guard who can't shoot belongs on the island of misfit toys with the boat that doesn't float. He needed and still needs to continue developing into a basketball player. I always thought he had the potential to, and I hope he still does. It's just that it's getting late for him to start developing some of these fundamental basketball skills.

True. Coffey also doesn't have the best PG in the nation tossing him dimes all night long.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/CoffeyShop_">@CoffeyShop_</a> a top-5 player nationally in 2016 will attend the U17 national team camp in Colo. Springs this weekend but not play. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/385834636359655424">October 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Amir is ranked 21st on rivals, to go along with his #29 ranking on 247 and #5 on scout

Amir is cleared and playing. He went four hours straight today at the D1 Minnesota / Hardwood Elite Combine. Looked good - didn't look like a guy who has been out of action for a couple of months.

Amir is cleared and playing. He went four hours straight today at the D1 Minnesota / Hardwood Elite Combine. Looked good - didn't look like a guy who has been out of action for a couple of months.

Want this kid, dad was a great Gopher, he could be as good if not better. Silky smooth, deceptively athletic and supremely skilled.

Top Bottom