All Things Amir Coffey Thread - UPDTAED: A Gophers Commit!

Coffey shows the maturity to play within the team system. It will be interesting to see how the team dynamics evolve next year. I could see Coffey coming off the bench and being the floor leader for the reserves - but he does need to get a lot stronger. with his frame, I'm not sure how much bulk he's going to add, but he does need to get a lot stronger.

He will also have to adjust his game some. The drives to the basket that work against HS opponents are going to be a lot harder to pull off against college-level opponents. He will need to show some type of outside shot, or at least a mid-range shot to be successful long-term in college.

Does anyone have knowledge of he was playing injured and if he was how bad the injury was effecting him?

Coffey shows the maturity to play within the team system. It will be interesting to see how the team dynamics evolve next year. I could see Coffey coming off the bench and being the floor leader for the reserves - but he does need to get a lot stronger. with his frame, I'm not sure how much bulk he's going to add, but he does need to get a lot stronger.

He will also have to adjust his game some. The drives to the basket that work against HS opponents are going to be a lot harder to pull off against college-level opponents. He will need to show some type of outside shot, or at least a mid-range shot to be successful long-term in college.

I'm not going to worry as much. Rodney williams Jr.'s highlights were mostly without the ball in his hands until a dunk or a blocked shot. Coffey's Highlights are always with the ball in his hands making a pass or driving around players. Coffey has several pull up jumpers in most of his highlight videos. unless those are all of the outside shots that ever went in I bet he'll be fine. I doubt his dad will let him enter college without at least an adequate jump shot.

Edit: point is if his low possibility is Rodney williams his freshman year I'd take it.

His earlier highlight films showcased a lot of outside shooting, especially 3 point shooting. He showed a lot of maturity, and definitely fits the example of a good team player. He was able to contribute in every facet of the game last night, and it was nice to see him put the team on his back a couple of times while attacking the basket and drawing fouls.

Does anyone have knowledge of he was playing injured and if he was how bad the injury was effecting him?

He was still recovering from an earlier in the year injury. Can't remember what it was.

He also took a good tumble during one of the earlier round games.

Was not at full strength.

He was still recovering from an earlier in the year injury. Can't remember what it was.

He also took a good tumble during one of the earlier round games.

Was not at full strength.

He had been dealing with turf toe for the majority of the season and he got undercut and took a hard hit to his tailbone in the state quarterfinals.

Hurt his tailbone in the quarterfinals and has been playing through turf toe since about halfway through the season. Novak said something in the postgame interview like a lot of people don't know how tough he is and what he had to play through this year but he just toughed it out and led this team.

He was on Mark Rosen's show last night with his coach and dad. He said he was going to hit the weights and work on his dribbling and shooting in the off season. Seemed like a quiet and humble kid in the interview.

With his athletic ability, build and "God Willing" play like Dad attitude, dude could really help bring Gophers for a ride. Question may soon be, "How long will he be here?"

With his injury history if he has a good year or two and can grab a high draft pick, he'd be crazy not to go.

He can be a super player for the Gophs if he's healthy, but I think his health should be a concern. He seems injury prone.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

I'm genuinely excited to see Amir progress as a Gopher. I hope he is a 4 year player selfishly, but would be fine if he stays less years because that means he is a really good player, and likey will take us places we've not been in a while.

The thing I've always thought that gives a guy like Coffey a leg up already on someone like Rodney is that he's a lot better coached. Novak is one of the best coaches in the state when it comes to defensive principles and the concept of spacing. Rodney had a huge learning curve on top of not having the greatest basketball IQ to start with. A lot of his impact had to do with just being a freak athlete, running and dunking on kids.

Coffey isn't that athlete, but he's a more complete player and more skilled. He should have a more developed basketball IQ, which should help him adjust quicker.

I'm not expecting Freshman of the Year out of the gate, but if Coffey can give the team 10-13 points, 3-5 rebounds and 2-3 assists on decent shooting percentages, I'd be pleased. That doesn't seem too greedy for a top-40 prospect does it?

The thing I've always thought that gives a guy like Coffey a leg up already on someone like Rodney is that he's a lot better coached. Novak is one of the best coaches in the state when it comes to defensive principles and the concept of spacing. Rodney had a huge learning curve on top of not having the greatest basketball IQ to start with. A lot of his impact had to do with just being a freak athlete, running and dunking on kids. Coffey isn't that athlete, but he's a more complete player and more skilled. He should have a more developed basketball IQ, which should help him adjust quicker. I'm not expecting Freshman of the Year out of the gate, but if Coffey can give the team 10-13 points, 3-5 rebounds and 2-3 assists on decent shooting percentages, I'd be pleased. That doesn't seem too greedy for a top-40 prospect does it?
That would be an amazing year for a freshman

And I'd take it!!

Coffey the anti Rodney

Coffey and Rodney appear to be on opposite ends as far as comparisons go. Rodney is a great athlete who was always behind when it came to basketball skills. Coffey is an ok division 1 athlete, but has great length, and very good dribbling and passing skills for a 6-7 player. He sees the game very well. He probably wont average over 17 ppg ever, but he will be very versatile as far as reb, assists, and defense are concerned. He would be great in any kind of a press also. He defers a lot as far as scoring goes even on his high school team. Hopefully he gets a tad more selfish as his career progresses.

My prediction for next year: 9ppg, 4 reb, 2.3 ass, 1.2 stls, 40% FG, 70% FT, 28% from 3.

The thing I've always thought that gives a guy like Coffey a leg up already on someone like Rodney is that he's a lot better coached. Novak is one of the best coaches in the state when it comes to defensive principles and the concept of spacing. Rodney had a huge learning curve on top of not having the greatest basketball IQ to start with. A lot of his impact had to do with just being a freak athlete, running and dunking on kids.

Coffey isn't that athlete, but he's a more complete player and more skilled. He should have a more developed basketball IQ, which should help him adjust quicker.

I'm not expecting Freshman of the Year out of the gate, but if Coffey can give the team 10-13 points, 3-5 rebounds and 2-3 assists on decent shooting percentages, I'd be pleased. That doesn't seem too greedy for a top-40 prospect does it?

Seems to me that there are few players with Coffey's height, handle, passing, and B-Ball IQ coming out of high school. Let's not put too much of a burden of expectations on him. However, his potential is really quite high.

His potential as a scorer aren't that high. He may always be a great team player. It's that drive to be great and take important shots that set the better players apart. Hopefully he plays 4 years and we see if he has that drive.

His game reminds me of Jalen Rose's game. Long, lefty, bball IQ, not super athletic, but smooth, crafty and always under control.

His game reminds me of Jalen Rose's game. Long, lefty, bball IQ, not super athletic, but smooth, crafty and always under control.

I went to two of Hopkins' games this year. Both games (& a couple times per game) Amir either dribbled out of control, bounced the ball awkwardly off his knee or foot, etc. In terms of ball-handling control for his size, he is far above average. But I wouldn't say he is always under control just yet.

Fair enough. In the state semi-final and final he did get a bit out of control a few times, so maybe the "always" is a bit strong. I guess my thinking is that he isn't flashy and seems to play with a good head on his shoulders, though not flawlessly.

per Marcus: Future Gopher Amir Coffey on injuries: 'Showed my perseverance'

Amir Coffey accomplished just about all of his basketball goals at the high school level.

He led Hopkins to a state championship this season. He was named Minnesota Mr. Basketball. He was recognized as one of the top 20 players in the nation by being selected to the Jordan Brand Classic.

“If you get picked for any of that, it’s a pretty cool thing,” Coffey said. “Those games take the best players in the nation, so to be selected for that is an honor.”

As he watched the Gophers struggle through a disappointing 8-23 season under third-year coach Richard Pitino, Coffey wished he was already there to help. But he was more encouraged than concerned.

“They lost a few close games this season, so it wasn’t like they were just horrible,” he said. “All the freshmen and sophomores were learning and working hard in practice every day. They definitely got better. I just hope to carry that on next year and put a better record out there for the fans.”

Fellow 2016 Gophers recruit Eric Curry talks weekly with Coffey during the season about what they want to accomplish in college. They grew close since meeting at a Nike camp in St. Louis as sophomores.

Curry, a 6-foot-9 forward from Southwest Christian in Arkansas, recently flew to Minnesota to spend time with Coffey during spring break. They played pickup games at Hopkins, getting a glimpse of what type of impact they could have together.

“We talk every other day about next year and what’s to come,” Coffey said. “So it’s pretty cool coming in with a top-20 recruiting class. Every time I talk with (Curry and Hurt) we’re excited about moving in, practicing. We’re going to do everything we can to help. We’re going to listen to Coach, work hard and get better. When the season comes, we’re just going to play our roles.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/3...ocial&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1459515415

Go Gophers!!

Not good that he doesn't remember our 2013 team.

So your gonna remember iowa made the tourney and won a game this year because i wont....why should it matter if he remembers that.... i couldnt tell you if the gophers made the tourney my freshman year of high school....honestly pretty worthless statement just seems like youre looking for a reason to bitch

So your gonna remember iowa made the tourney and won a game this year because i wont....why should it matter if he remembers that.... i couldnt tell you if the gophers made the tourney my freshman year of high school....honestly pretty worthless statement just seems like youre looking for a reason to bitch

Are you mad at Miles because you're the Pilipino national player he beat the crap out of?

The Jordan Brand classic is on ESPN2 tonight, so tune in and watch Amir!!!

Kept half an eye on the 2nd half of the Jordan Classic. Coffey seemed fairly quiet, I don't recall even seeing him score. He didn't seem to even touch the ball that much. The two plays I remember were both passes. He was driving to the bucket, went up in the air and then dumped the ball off to the big man past his defender for an easy dunk. The other, he got a pretty easy rebound and threw a 3/4 court pass for a transition dunk.

Shamorie Ponds seemed a little more interested in scoring.

Kept half an eye on the 2nd half of the Jordan Classic. Coffey seemed fairly quiet, I don't recall even seeing him score. He didn't seem to even touch the ball that much. The two plays I remember were both passes. He was driving to the bucket, went up in the air and then dumped the ball off to the big man past his defender for an easy dunk. The other, he got a pretty easy rebound and threw a 3/4 court pass for a transition dunk.

Shamorie Ponds seemed a little more interested in scoring.

Coffey finished with 9 points and 5 assists by my count. Anyways, who gives a crap. It's an all-star game. Fun to see him in it with the rest of all these blue-blood commits.

Top Bottom