All Things Amir Coffey Thread - UPDTAED: A Gophers Commit!

I thought Utoff was a red shirt at WI and then wanted to transfer, not a late backout of the NLI. Bo made the stink about who he could transfer to, which caused the media to run over him for a week or so. A little different scenario than the Strib is pushing.

I thought Utoff was a red shirt at WI and then wanted to transfer, not a late backout of the NLI. Bo made the stink about who he could transfer to, which caused the media to run over him for a week or so. A little different scenario than the Strib is pushing.

Probably thinking of Ben Brust. I think he signed a LOI to Iowa to play for Lickliter, got released when Lickliter was fired, and flipped to Wisconsin.

You do realize he can back out even if he signed a letter of intent and schools can grant the player a release. It does not happen very often, but it does happen.
They can, but like in the case of Michael Beasley, the school can choose not to release him as well. I doubt they would do that, especially due to the family name. I also believe Utoff played a year at Wisco on top of redshirting

I meant to put a ?

I remember the same as you, I wasn't sure if he had enrolled or not yet.

You do realize he can back out even if he signed a letter of intent and schools can grant the player a release. It does not happen very often, but it does happen.

Yeah I am not questioning that. He definitely could. I'm merely commenting on the doubt that the Strib has put on Coffey. How many times can they imply that he or his family is thinking about backing out without an actual quote by literally anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to wonder (or at least I do) if Richard Coffey and Pitino are having off-line conversations about the state of the program. If I were him (Richard Coffey) I'd be a little freaked out by this whole episode and it would give me pause, especially given the state of the season. And from the sounds of it, he has a lot of influence with Amir. You wonder if that is why Pitino is hinting that there may be "more to come" in terms of reprimands - maybe Richard is indicating to him that he'd want Dorsey/all dismissed from the program. Of course this is all complete speculation, but I don't feel it's that far fetched.

Pitino isn't going to let a parent dictate which players are going to be on the roster. That's just ridiculous.

Pitino isn't going to let a parent dictate which players are going to be on the roster. That's just ridiculous.
No coach would. Any parent would have concern which I'm sure the coaching staff has listened to and addressed. There really isn't much of a story here and a whole lot of paranoia from Gopher Nation drummed up by the Trib.

Perhaps someone would be willing to make an guess about people speculating on conjecture?

You have to wonder (or at least I do) if Richard Coffey and Pitino are having off-line conversations about the state of the program. If I were him (Richard Coffey) I'd be a little freaked out by this whole episode and it would give me pause, especially given the state of the season. And from the sounds of it, he has a lot of influence with Amir. You wonder if that is why Pitino is hinting that there may be "more to come" in terms of reprimands - maybe Richard is indicating to him that he'd want Dorsey/all dismissed from the program. Of course this is all complete speculation, but I don't feel it's that far fetched.

So that his son can play on a worse team?

Looks like Coffey got hurt in the Hopkins-North game at State. He's left the game, but walked away on his own after hitting the floor hard after grabbing a rebound. More news to follow I'm sure...

Looks like Coffey got hurt in the Hopkins-North game at State. He's left the game, but walked away on his own after hitting the floor hard after grabbing a rebound. More news to follow I'm sure...

Back in the gm already

He's missed most of the first half, but he's back in the game now...

Went up and blocked the shot of a guy going for the layup and got undercut by the guy who shot it landing on his back. He probably missed half the 1st half but right when he came back in the game he had a real nice assist and a couple rebounds. I don't know that he was moving at full speed to start with dealing with the turf toe issue but he has been moving a little gingerly at times since coming back into the game after landing on his back.

Hopkins had a big lead so Coffey didn't play much at all in the 2nd half. He finished with 8pts, 5rebs, an assist, and a couple blocks.

Coffey had 16pts on 6-9 from the field, 1-3 from 3, and 3-3 at the free throw line. Also had 8 rebounds 3 assists and couple steals and blocks. Coffey also guarded Trent most of the night and did a pretty decent job on him even though Trent had 23pts it came on 9-28 shooting.

I love Coffey as a recruit and will be excited to watch him grow as a gopher and into a very good player but anyone who thinks he is going to be the best offensive player on the gophers next year or even a top 3 offensive player clearly has not watched him play and only goes by his national rank.

Right now he is not a very good offensive player. He scores a lot of points yes because Hopkins blows most teams out, and over half his points come from him leaking out and getting fast break 1-1 or 1-0 dunks and lay ups.

Give him a year or two to develop a consistent jump shot and get a little quicker and he very well could be a beast with the height and length he has, but reading numerous people on Gopherhole saying he will be the best offensive player next year is just blatantly false.

I love Coffey as a recruit and will be excited to watch him grow as a gopher and into a very good player but anyone who thinks he is going to be the best offensive player on the gophers next year or even a top 3 offensive player clearly has not watched him play and only goes by his national rank.

Right now he is not a very good offensive player. He scores a lot of points yes because Hopkins blows most teams out, and over half his points come from him leaking out and getting fast break 1-1 or 1-0 dunks and lay ups.

Give him a year or two to develop a consistent jump shot and get a little quicker and he very well could be a beast with the height and length he has, but reading numerous people on Gopherhole saying he will be the best offensive player next year is just blatantly false.
Agreed, but I think he will find a niche within the offense. Mason and Murphy I imagine will be our top two scorers. I think where Coffey makes us better next year is on defense

Coffey reminded me of a young Tashaun Prince. He's really thin and will need to hit the weight room to get ready for the B1G season, but he's a fluid player. He's going to get rag doll tossed in the B1G if he doesn't hit the weights.

Coffey reminded me of a young Tashaun Prince. He's really thin and will need to hit the weight room to get ready for the B1G season, but he's a fluid player. He's going to get rag doll tossed in the B1G if he doesn't hit the weights.

Overused analysis of Big 10 play.

We were also one of the worst rebounding teams in the league.
Coffey is a nice player, but he needs to get stronger.

We were also one of the worst teams in the league.

We were also one of the youngest teams in the league

We were also one of the least <insert random stat here> in the league

Along with 99% of all college basketball players. The good thing about Coffey is he has the frame to do it.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

The thing that has me intrigued is the basketball IQ of Coffey and Hurt. They are not physically imposing players at this point, but they each exude poise, patience and court vision combined with a lot of skill. Amir could have averaged 30 plus this year if he was a jerk, and they likely wouldn't have won it all.

Top Bottom