All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I swear, NFL GMs are the dumbest front offices among the 4 major U.S. sports. NBA and MLB teams would've traded Hunter without hesitation.

Why wouldn't you trade a player when you're going nowhere for a great draft pick, especially when that player is near his physical decline?

Wouldn't you rather have a guy with the potential to start for your team for 8-10 years, with a low salary for 4 years, than keep an older veteran having a great year for 8 weeks?

Shouldn't you make that trade every day of the week? If the pick busts, all it cost you was 8 weeks of high level play from 1 player. That's well worth the risk of drafting another Cine.
That's a really good point about MLB and NBA GMs.

And yes, the best teams build thru the draft.

From an Article in stage Athletic about what their best reporters learned at the combine about each team’s priorities -

Defense is the focus for Minnesota. Yes, there is a serious possibility the team swings massively for a quarterback. In general, though, the Vikings’ decision-makers are mindful of the talent void on the defensive side of the ball. Edge rushers Danielle Hunter and D.J. Wonnum are impending free agents. Linebacker Jordan Hicks is, too. The cornerback depth is depleted. All levels need help, and the Vikings are going to use the draft to throw as many darts at the unit as possible.

Give me D please

I was saying that when it happened. Frigging brutal. Might have gotten a low first. For sure, a second.

You had geniuses like Mlps saying we could win it all and make a run. You have to keep him.

Now Mlps doesn't care for hunter as he doesn't take over games.

This board is the best. LMAO

And had we traded him, maybe we lose another game and are drafting 6th. Just think, a second round pick and drafting 6th. Can't make it up.
I swear, NFL GMs are the dumbest front offices among the 4 major U.S. sports. NBA and MLB teams would've traded Hunter without hesitation.

Why wouldn't you trade a player when you're going nowhere for a great draft pick, especially when that player is near his physical decline?

Wouldn't you rather have a guy with the potential to start for your team for 8-10 years, with a low salary for 4 years, than keep an older veteran having a great year for 8 weeks?

Shouldn't you make that trade every day of the week? If the pick busts, all it cost you was 8 weeks of high level play from 1 player. That's well worth the risk of drafting another Cine.

I have brought this up before, but don't the Vikings get a compensatory Draft Pick if he does sign somewhere else (ie 3rd Rounder)? If that's the case then the "8 week gamble" does not seem that bad.

I am skeptical that they were offered a low 1st Rounder.

It's also possible that the Owners directive to the GM was to go all out to try to make the Playoffs in 2023.

I have brought this up before, but don't the Vikings get a compensatory Draft Pick if he does sign somewhere else (ie 3rd Rounder)? If that's the case then the "8 week gamble" does not seem that bad.

Depending on how much another team signs him for, we could get a compensatory pick as high as at the end of the 3rd Round.

I think a late 1st or 2nd wasn't out of the question. I thought trading him was a "no brainer" but who knows...maybe we tried and didn't like the offers?

It's also possible that the Owners directive to the GM was to go all out to try to make the Playoffs in 2023.
You may be right, but for sure a second rounder. All kinds of teams making a playoff drive would have wanted him. Minimum, a second round pick.

The Beas gave up a 2nd rounder for Montez Sweat, so I doubt anyone was coming in with a first rounder for Hunter. More than likely it would have been a 3rd rounder and we'll get a Comp Pick if he does sign elsewhere

Depending on how much another team signs him for, we could get a compensatory pick as high as at the end of the 3rd Round.

I think a late 1st or 2nd wasn't out of the question. I thought trading him was a "no brainer" but who knows...maybe we tried and didn't like the offers?
Or the Wilfs said "NO", try to get a Wild Card. No idea. Seems plausible though.

It was reported in The Athletic this is exactly why he wasn’t traded.

Or the Wilfs said "NO", try to get a Wild Card. No idea. Seems plausible though.
True...it's all speculation from the greatest minds. 🙂

I have no real idea exactly how compensatory picks are awarded. Are there limits to how many a team can get each year? We could potentially lose Kirk, Hunter, Harry and Hicks to fairly substantial FA deals.

The same Ownership that has been in charge for 19 seasons of failure.
So you’re upset with them for tying to win?

It didn’t work out, but they didn’t pack it in either.

Is he your doppelgänger?

• th

So you’re upset with them for tying to win?

It didn’t work out, but they didn’t pack it in either.

Is he your doppelgänger?

• th
No actually I am not, it was more a back handed call back shot at Mpls Gopher who seems to think the Wilfs are the guiding light of Owners.

As for doppelganger, both Giamatti and I love us some In N Out.

True...it's all speculation from the greatest minds. 🙂

I have no real idea exactly how compensatory picks are awarded. Are there limits to how many a team can get each year? We could potentially lose Kirk, Hunter, Harry and Hicks to fairly substantial FA deals.
I won't pretend to understand it either, but from this google search it does appear multiples are possible. It also depends on how many the Vikings sign (if any), as that would make sense there is an offset.

At the deadline, the Vikings were 4-4 and had just won their 3rd straight game. Maybe they thought about it in those two days after Cousins got hurt but who knows.

I think people on the outside also don't understand the element of the "locker room". You start trading away your best players while in the playoff hunt and you could easily lose the locker room.

The NFL trade deadline too early IMO. It's after week 8 (not even halfway through the season). That would be the equivalent of MLB having their deadline in mid-June.

At the deadline, the Vikings were 4-4 and had just won their 3rd straight game. Maybe they thought about it in those two days after Cousins got hurt but who knows.

I think people on the outside also don't understand the element of the "locker room". You start trading away your best players while in the playoff hunt and you could easily lose the locker room.

The NFL trade deadline too early IMO. It's after week 8 (not even halfway through the season). That would be the equivalent of MLB having their deadline in mid-June.
I think it's opposite, the MLB Trade Deadline is too late. I'm not big on less than half season rentals swaying who ultimately wins the Championship.

NHL is really ridiculous.

So Jeremy Fowler put out this tweet that the Vikings are one of the teams that may be interested in Justin Fields.

"After asking around, I expect Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Las Vegas and Minnesota to be on Fields' radar"

which led to some all-time great comedy this morning - PA going berserk on his show about the possibility of Fields replacing Cousins as the Vikings' QB. I thought he might actually start crying on the air. I've seen mourners at a funeral who were less distraught.

I think it's opposite, the MLB Trade Deadline is too late. I'm not big on less than half season rentals swaying who ultimately wins the Championship.

NHL is really ridiculous.
Fair. But with an early trade deadline in the NFL, we can't expect teams to make a lot of moves then (adding or trading away). A lot more teams are still in the hunt only 8 weeks in.

It's easy to say now that the Viking should have moved Hunter.

So Jeremy Fowler put out this tweet that the Vikings are one of the teams that may be interested in Justin Fields.

"After asking around, I expect Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Las Vegas and Minnesota to be on Fields' radar"

which led to some all-time great comedy this morning - PA going berserk on his show about the possibility of Fields replacing Cousins as the Vikings' QB. I thought he might actually start crying on the air. I've seen mourners at a funeral who were less distraught.
PA = Diva

The raw energy from Ogee's meltdown and outrage would light up all of Las Vegas for at least three (3) days.

More Defensive Tidbits from The Athletic (we’ll likely cave to replace 6 to 8 starters, so we’re not remotely close to being A Contender. Winning is only 26 and will likely receive a big old 💰-

How many new defensive starters do the Vikings need?

Begin the thought experiment on the defensive line. Minnesota’s two starting edge rushers in 2023, Danielle Hunterand D.J. Wonnum, are impending free agents. Meanwhile, defensive tackle Jonathan Bullardis certain to hit the market. You could argue that Minnesota could upgrade Harrison Phillips’ spot, too. And we haven’t even reached the second level.

The off-ball linebacker has at least one obvious hole, as veteran Jordan Hicks also will be a free agent. Ivan Pace Jr.showed countless flashes, but even he might fit best as a situational pass rusher.

Then there’s the secondary. The Vikings could benefit from an upgrade at one outside cornerback spot: Akayleb Evans’ position. Safety is less of a need, but Harrison Smith’s retirement could leave another hole.

A conservative projection could leave the Vikings needing to find six new defensive starters. The worst-case scenario could mean eight. Any pre-draft or free-agency projection should begin here. The Vikings will likely allocate most of their nine draft picks to this unit. Expect them to pursue experienced free-agent options as well and to spend most of their non-quarterback and non-extension money on these positions.

Other quick hitters (love hearing about Flores’ input in the D draft process)​

• Kicker Greg Joseph is a free agent. The Vikings have the third-lowest field goal percentage over the past two seasons and the fourth-worst extra-point percentage. Expect Minnesota to explore external options.

• Defensive coordinator Brian Flores is spearheading the draft efforts defensively. His opinion mattered last offseason, and this year he’s shouldering the vision for the defense’s direction.

• One team source thought aloud about 2025 and the idea of having $100 million in cap space even after major extensions. That degree of flexibility hovers prominently in the minds of many within the team.

Top Bottom