All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Probably just me, but I think it's dumb to hold the HOF ceremony in direct competition with MLB games. Why not do it Thursday of All Star Break?

Twins fans represented well in Cooperstown.

My wife is from western NY so actually contemplated going but would have been at the expense of our yearly get together at my parents. Would have been a great experience.

Terrible at bat after terrible at bat. So hard to watch this team sometimes with their approach. Swing at a pitch that was never close to the strike zone. Then watch a fastball right down the middle on the next pitch.

Boyz need to refocus so the Phil’s don’t hang up Some more mammoth numbers

These last games don’t the giants and brewers plus the injuries just don’t make me optimistic. I mean I am usually a very persisting person, but even more so now.

These last games don’t the giants and brewers plus the injuries just don’t make me optimistic. I mean I am usually a very persisting person, but even more so now.
Three with the Phillies next. Likely looking at a 6 game losing streak and being out of a playoff slot by week's end.

Guardians lost again to the Padres.
Detroit at Cleveland next for a 4-game series, then it's Cleveland at Philadelphia.

so "out of a playoff spot" is unlikely.

why did the Twins lose today? in large part because Ryan had a bad inning, and because Jax and Alcala each gave up HR's. even with all the struggles for Twins hitters with RISP, they still scored 7 runs. that should be good enough to win, but the pitchers gave up 8.

Watching a bit of Dodgers and Sox and Ohtani crushed a 473 💣 earlier, tied for third longest this season. Soler hit one 478 this afternoon for the longest. Chicks dig the king ball, bu so do middle aged men.

They just flashed this stat regarding Ohtani

First bolster since 1900 to have
50 XBH
75 Runs
50 Walks
20 SB

In first 100 games with a team.

No straight DH has ever won an MVP, it would only be fitting, if he keeps producing at this level, that he’s the first.

Guardians lost again to the Padres.
Detroit at Cleveland next for a 4-game series, then it's Cleveland at Philadelphia.

so "out of a playoff spot" is unlikely.

why did the Twins lose today? in large part because Ryan had a bad inning, and because Jax and Alcala each gave up HR's. even with all the struggles for Twins hitters with RISP, they still scored 7 runs. that should be good enough to win, but the pitchers gave up 8.
They're currently half a game up on Boston/KC for the last WC spot, so it's pretty likely they won't be in a play-off slot at week's end. I did not mean their chances would be eliminated of course.

offered for amusement value -- The Athletic has a story on "The top 50 players who could be traded at the deadline." for each player, they list 3 teams that the player could potentially be traded to. this is basically just speculation - but Gleeman was one of the writers on the article, so presumably he has some knowledge of what the Twins are thinking.

players listed as possible targets for the Twins:
Vlad Guerrero Jr. (Blue Jays)
Pete Alonso (Mets)
Nathan Eovaldi, Texas
Yusei Kikuchi (Blue Jays)
Frankie Montas (Reds)
Luis Severino (Mets)
Jordan Montgomery (Arizona)

(thoughts - as well as Santana is playing, I question whether the Twins are really looking for another 1B/DH type. I'm more interested in the pitchers on the list.)

Probably just me, but I think it's dumb to hold the HOF ceremony in direct competition with MLB games. Why not do it Thursday of All Star Break?
I understand there are reasons for what they do (some of them can't really be moved), but regardless, you're going to make me go into a rant...

The NFL has become the NFL not by accident, but by absolute brilliant marketing. They own the news cycle the entire year by slowly dripping league activities. The MLB is the exact opposite; other than hot-stove in the offseason, they don't have much. In the span of the last week and a half, they've held the All-Star game, had the HOF inductions, had the draft, had regular season games, and have released the 2025 schedule. Talk about shooting your wad in one fell swoop. That's insane and in our age of constant news churn, beyond stupid. They need to hire some smart marketing people to revamp their league schedule.

The fact that the Twins were playing a game when Mauer was being inducted is so epically stupid you can't put it into words. AT THE VERY LEAST if you have a player being inducted, schedule it so "their" team plays after the induction. Schedule it so Mauer is doing his thing at 12:30, then start the game at 1:10. That way, fans can come to the stadium early, watch his induction on the big screen, then stay for the game. Win-win. Likewise, the Tigers could start their game 30-40 mins after Leyland has his ceremony. This really isn't that difficult or ground breaking. Or tie-in nationally broadcast games with the HOF. There were 4 guys this year. ESPN gets to broadcast Mauer's induction and then moves directly into the Twins/Brewers game. TBS gets to broadcast the Helton induction, then moves directly into the Rockies game, etc. Again, you can put a tiny amount of effort into making it a "big deal" instead of just a footnote. Or just make the inductions at say 6pm, directly in front of the Sunday night baseball broadcast, which features two of the teams represented by the HOF class. Then they can have interviews of teammates, etc. and talk about it all broadcast long.

Last edited:

offered for amusement value -- The Athletic has a story on "The top 50 players who could be traded at the deadline." for each player, they list 3 teams that the player could potentially be traded to. this is basically just speculation - but Gleeman was one of the writers on the article, so presumably he has some knowledge of what the Twins are thinking.

players listed as possible targets for the Twins:
Vlad Guerrero Jr. (Blue Jays)
Pete Alonso (Mets)
Nathan Eovaldi, Texas
Yusei Kikuchi (Blue Jays)
Frankie Montas (Reds)
Luis Severino (Mets)
Jordan Montgomery (Arizona)

(thoughts - as well as Santana is playing, I question whether the Twins are really looking for another 1B/DH type. I'm more interested in the pitchers on the list.)
Pitching please.

Mets are tied for the third wildcard in the NL as of this posting; unless they implode, they’ll be buyers, not sellers - mentioned during their telecast right before the break.

They have the highest payroll again this season. An epic wildcard run will make that distinction, more tolerable. Billionaires, don’t like to lose money either.

Miranda told Doogie that he should be ready to go later this week or early next week. could go to St. Paul to play a couple of games before rejoining the Twins.

Brock Stewart struck out the side in his last rehab appearance. velocity on fast ball was up from previous outing.

Connor Prielipp is officially off the IL and assigned to Fort Meyers.

Top Bottom