All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I understand there are reasons for what they do (some of them can't really be moved), but regardless, you're going to make me go into a rant...

The NFL has become the NFL not by accident, but by absolute brilliant marketing. They own the news cycle the entire year by slowly dripping league activities. The MLB is the exact opposite; other than hot-stove in the offseason, they don't have much. In the span of the last week and a half, they've held the All-Star game, had the HOF inductions, had the draft, had regular season games, and have released the 2025 schedule. Talk about shooting your wad in one fell swoop. That's insane and in our age of constant news churn, beyond stupid. They need to hire some smart marketing people to revamp their league schedule.

The fact that the Twins were playing a game when Mauer was being inducted is so epically stupid you can't put it into words. AT THE VERY LEAST if you have a player being inducted, schedule it so "their" team plays after the induction. Schedule it so Mauer is doing his thing at 12:30, then start the game at 1:10. That way, fans can come to the stadium early, watch his induction on the big screen, then stay for the game. Win-win. Likewise, the Tigers could start their game 30-40 mins after Leyland has his ceremony. This really isn't that difficult or ground breaking. Or tie-in nationally broadcast games with the HOF. There were 4 guys this year. ESPN gets to broadcast Mauer's induction and then moves directly into the Twins/Brewers game. TBS gets to broadcast the Helton induction, then moves directly into the Rockies game, etc. Again, you can put a tiny amount of effort into making it a "big deal" instead of just a footnote. Or just make the inductions at say 6pm, directly in front of the Sunday night baseball broadcast, which features two of the teams represented by the HOF class. Then they can have interviews of teammates, etc. and talk about it all broadcast long.
It really doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Fans can watch a speech a MLB Network replay, DVR or Google it and find the video on the Web.

The notion to watch it "live" seems so unnecessary.

It really doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Fans can watch a speech a MLB Network replay, DVR or Google it and find the video on the Web.

Of course you don't need to watch it live. I just don't see the sense in essentially competing against yourself. Last night in prime time, MLB Network aired Back To School. Classic movie, but I can't figure out what the hell it has to do with baseball

Of course you don't need to watch it live. I just don't see the sense in essentially competing against yourself. Last night in prime time, MLB Network aired Back To School. Classic movie, but I can't figure out what the hell it has to do with baseball
Watching the promos for Back to School during the HoF ceremonies, I was puzzled by that myself.

Also note, the HoF Museum is a completely separate entity from MLB, they run there own show.

While I am sure MLB Network would love to show it in Prime Time/Live, it would be a logistical nightmare getting 30,000 people out of Cooperstown at dusk/dark. It's a wonderful little town (pop 1800), only a few 2 lane roads in/out surrounded by lakes & forests, nearest cities are a couple of hours away. Pretty much have to have it in the afternoon.

Margot, Carmago an Castillo against the Phillies. Really Rocco?

Margot delivered. I question Jeffers hitting in the 2 spot. On a 1 for 16 cool streak. Looks anemic.

I think the point being made is that MLB is wasting a perfect chance to increase their exposure to more fans while placating their current ones.

The NFL does a terrific job of keeping their fans emotionally invested throughout the calendar year. MLB marketing needs a complete overhaul IMO.

You make too much sense

This could end up being a long series
Not so fast my friend (01/02) by AC33 | Mixcloud

I think the point being made is that MLB is wasting a perfect chance to increase their exposure to more fans while placating their current ones.

The NFL does a terrific job of keeping their fans emotionally invested throughout the calendar year. MLB marketing needs a complete overhaul IMO.
I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison. NFL is a 20 game schedule then post-season over 5 months lots of time to build hype.

MLB is Spring Training starting in late Feb, 162 game marathon then post season into early Nov. When it's done I'm ready for a break. It would be futile to even attempt to muster fan engagement while the NFL is full throttle not to mention hoops & puck. I like missing it for a while until the Grapefruit League begins.

I'm probably in the minority regarding the NFL, once the Super Bowl ends I don't give a rip about what I consider the Silly Season. Combine, Draft, Free Agency, Schedule Release, mini-camp, Training Camp, pre-season exhibitions bore the bejeezus out of me.

My extent of following the Vikings Feb - Labor Day is checking in on the Goperhole Vikings Off-season Thread. That's way more than enough for my taste.

5-15 minutes going over who they actually Drafted once it's over plus another couple when the schedule is released would completely quench my Purple Talk until they play the Giants.

I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison. NFL is a 20 game schedule then post-season over 5 months lots of time to build hype.

MLB is Spring Training starting in late Feb, 162 game marathon then post season into early Nov. When it's done I'm ready for a break. It would be futile to even attempt to muster fan engagement while the NFL is full throttle not to mention hoops & puck. I like missing it for a while until the Grapefruit League begins.

I'm probably in the minority regarding the NFL, once the Super Bowl ends I don't give a rip about what I consider the Silly Season. Combine, Draft, Free Agency, Schedule Release, mini-camp, Training Camp, pre-season exhibitions bore the bejeezus out of me.

My extent of following the Vikings Feb - Labor Day is checking in on the Goperhole Vikings Off-season Thread. That's way more than enough for my taste.

5-15 minutes going over who they actually Drafted once it's over plus another couple when the schedule is released would completely quench my Purple Talk until they play the Giants.
That's certainly fair enough. To be honest, Fantasy Football and my Dynasty leagues are why I follow the NFL so closely during the offseason.

That's certainly fair enough. To be honest, Fantasy Football and my Dynasty leagues are why I follow the NFL so closely during the offseason.
One of my pet theories is that the NFL is only the monster it is largely because fantasy football fuels that fire (and the weekly games set up so much better for fans versus the other sports in keeping up/paying attention for fans).

One of my pet theories is that the NFL is only the monster it is largely because fantasy football fuels that fire (and the weekly games set up so much better for fans versus the other sports in keeping up/paying attention for fans).
It's much more attractive and understandable for regular gambling as well and the limited weekly inventory adds to the behemoth status.

I think I was 7 when I started throwing my allowance in a weekly football pool, and that was when at most you could watch 3 NFL games on a typical fall Sun & Mon combined.

I agree with this 100%. Fantasy Football provides fans of crappy teams a reason to avidly continue following the NFL all season long. Unless they have shitty Fantasy teams, too. 🙂

Cooperstown is tough to get to most years, but with what went down on Friday, it must have been a nightmare. Dick Bremer is currently stranded in Hartford this morning as a result. That said, it could be a long time before a Twin in inducted into the Hall again.

What % of your winnings will you pledge towards adding salary before the trade deadline? 🙂
Even a broken ⏰ is right twice a day😉.

Was hoping their AS rust was shaken off by the Brewers.

Same as my haul from the game - a big old 🍩. Not a gambler, just figured the boys would play well tonight and want to prove their mettle against the “East Cost elites.”

Last edited:

Twins 4 gms back of Cleveland. It's amazing how good a team can look when they get a strong performance from the starting pitcher.
Ober continues to improve; he’s taken a significant leap forward this year and just out dueled an AS. I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t win 15 this year - he’s a frontline starter on any staff - hoping Festa can follow in his footsteps in the future.

Last edited:

All these injuries came at a terrible time. Cleveland’s been bad.
Forgot to post it last night, but the Philly has been scuffling as of late.

After concluding their 9th series sweep of the season, they got swept by the As before the break and then lost a series to the Pirates after the break - so we might be hitting them during their season lull.

Last edited:

Forgot to post it last night, but the Philly has been scuffling as of late.

After concluding their 9th series sweep of the season, they got swept by the As before the break and then lost a series to the Pirates after the break - so we might be hitting them during their season lull.
During the Post Game show on the radio they mentioned that Harper's HR was in his 1st AB ever at Target Field. Mildly surprised he had never played there either as a Nat or Phillie. Must have been few appearances by those NL East team and/or injury.

Once Ober got through the 1st, he was dealing.

Top Bottom