All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Roy Smalley’s full head of hair and ageless facial features at 71 is irksome

Wallner would give them another LH bat - but as noted, that probably means Austin Martin would have to go back to AAA. Wallner is strictly an OF, where Martin can play 2B or OF.

essentially, sending down Martin means 2B is either Castro or Farmer every day. and Wallner could take AB's away from Larnach, unless Larnach is the DH.

so I can see pros and cons both ways.

Per an Aaron Gleeman X post I saw (from before last nights game - where he went 2-5) Correa is now 3rd in the AL in batting average and 10 games ago he was hitting .247.

Lewis is just getting silly now... 7 HRs in 41 ABs on the season - that would equate to about 100 HRs in a 600 AB season. If he singles or draws a walk his OPS actually goes down.

Correa is an all-star as of today. He belongs.

Looking at his career stats, he's a borderline HOF guy.

If he has he can amass 2 or 3 more big season, followed by a few more solid or good seasons, then he'll probably make it. Maybe he'll go in with a Twins bust.

the "idiot trade" season has begun.

In The Athletic, Jim Bowden has an article proposing various trades. One of them -
Twins trade Kirilloff, Festa and Keaschall to the Mets for Pete Alonzo.

look, Kirilloff may be cooked. but Festa looks like a big-league starter and Keaschall is showing a big bat with position flexibility. and Bowden thinks the Twins should give them up for a half-season of Alonzo, who will be a free-agent at the end of the season. Alonzo wants to stay with the Mets and is likely to re-sign with them after the season - the question is how much? and the answer is "more than the Twins are willing to pay."

If the Twins are going to make a deal (and I strongly doubt they will make any deal that adds too much to the payroll) then they should be looking for a starting pitcher - not another 1B/DH.

Scoring from 2nd ... on a pickoff? Just part of Elly's show in Milwaukee​

Never seen this is a big league game; this guy is a freak of the first magnitude and hopefully will win an MVP within the next five years -

Last edited:

It's getting to the point where it's going to be very hard to leave Correa off.
He should be player of the week and if he keeps humming along hopefully player of the month. And anytime you’re in the conversation with Delmon Young, you’re big timing it🤠

A snippet on his even keel approach (via Dan Hayes/The Athletic) -

Carlos Correa’s hottest stretch ever continued during Sunday’s doubleheader sweep of the Oakland A’s.

A few days ago, Correa identified what is now an 11-game run in which he’s slashing .511/.538/.787 as the best of his career. He’s since maintained it with a smattering of home runs to add to the earlier singles factory.

Correa went 5-for-10 with two homers and four RBIs as the Minnesota Twins swept the A’s, winning 6-2 in the opener before pulling out an 8-7 victory in the nightcap.

Through the first game of the doubleheader, his 22 hits over the previous 10 games played were the most in his career and matched Delmon Young for the most by a Twins hitter in a 10-game stretch since 2010.

“He’s using the middle of the field very well, and I think that helps,” Twins slugger Royce Lewis said. “It’s special to watch.”

What Lewis — who homered in each game Sunday and is the first Twins player to hit seven round-trippers in their first 12 games of the season — and the dugout see during Correa’s red-hot run is a teammate who is consistent no matter how he performs. Ask any teammate or coach how Correa operates in a span where he’s one of baseball’s best hitters compared to the rest of the season and they’ll say it’s the same.

The ability to maintain an even-keeled approach in good times and bad is a great trait Correa possesses. Along with a high baseball IQ and superior skill set, his nature made Correa worthy of a mega contract ahead of the 2023 season.

“Borderline nothing different,” Twins manager Rocco Baldelli said. “He doesn’t react differently. He shows up with basically the exact same mentality, conducts himself all day long the same way.”

Need proof? Let’s review the 2023 season.

Correa was hurt most of the season, playing with plantar fasciitis from mid-May on that impacted his swing. No matter how much he struggled to hit, in a year when he produced some of the worst numbers of his career, Correa never let on.

Same goes for now.

“People ask me, like right now, they ask me, ‘How does it feel?’” Correa said. “It’s the same if I go 0-for-4. I try my best every day. I put in the work every day. … Whatever happens on the field is just results.”

Last edited:

Man does that bring back memories of watching the Twins at the old Met. Thanks for sharing

makes me want to drink a Hamm's beer - and watch a commercial with the Hamm's bear. Hamm's - the beer refreshing, from the land of the sky blue waters. (which could actually be a tie-in to the new blue jerseys.....)

makes me want to drink a Hamm's beer - and watch a commercial with the Hamm's bear. Hamm's - the beer refreshing, from the land of the sky blue waters. (which could actually be a tie-in to the new blue jerseys.....)
Funny you mention Hamms beer. It’s one of my mainstays at our lake cabin. Just a good old fashioned beer that is cheap to buy

Scoring from 2nd ... on a pickoff? Just part of Elly's show in Milwaukee​

Never seen this is a big league game; this guy is a freak of the first magnitude and hopefully will win an MVP within the next five years -

Insane.

I see him downtown in the skyway occasionally. He's also an incredible dresser. The word bespoke has been misused recently but yeah, Roy clearly has money and a fantastic tailor.
I've also seen Smalley once in a while downtown.

Stood behind him in line at a sandwich shop once, he flashed his 1987 WS Ring. Nice humble boast, but "it ain't bragging if you actually done it."

Off Day From With Numbers!!

Correra is now hitting .308, good for 7th in MLB; second highest for American League SS.

Twins O (MLB Rankings) -

Avg. (14) W/.243
HRs (6) W/83
OPS (8) W/.728
Runs (9) W/334

A couple of musings FWIW

Casto was an incredible addition and provides much needed speed to the team, in addition to plus fielding/defensive flexibility. That play he made in the first game to nail Soderstrom at second was a good a play as you’ll see a LF make; he’s probably the only Twin makes the play - as he’s got a frickin howitzer in that right arm.

Santana has proven to be a great addition and a much better player than my choice Adam Duvall would have been; he’s been the Right had power stick we needed. He’s on pace for ~30 HRs based on hitting 1 every 20 ABs and 600 PA. Times like these remind me why I’m a fan and not working in the FO - I ain’t that smart 🤓

EDIT -
Duvall - .171 6 HRs
MAT. - .201. 1 HRs
Santana - .235. 11 HRs

Stautmont looks like the real deal and another weapon in the pen; great pickup!

We have a chance to compete and make some noise and assets to grab a SP at the deadline. Gleeman and Hayes both listed that as our biggest need in separate columns. Much more important than another RH batter or a lefty in the bullpen at this juncture, obviously.

Last edited:

Reminds me of a young Buxton. I remember seeing him play for Cedar Rapids and he hit to right center. It wasn't hit hard and didn't hit the gap but Buxton just glided into 2nd. It was so effortless. I was like "did he just run straight to 2nd and completely miss 1st base?"

Top Bottom