All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Lopez looked better than he has all year. But Houston is a shadow of what they used to be. The AL West is putrid this year.

Lopez looked better than he has all year. But Houston is a shadow of what they used to be. The AL West is putrid this year.
It's weird. Houston is mostly the same cast of characters, plus Josh Hader and the only guy who's way below his norm is Bregman. Would not be surprised if they're right there down the stretch.

FYI - they have 4 starting pitchers on the DL (was covered early in the game);their offense is fine as they were batting.259 which is a tick above LA’s .258 and Tucker is in the MVP discussion.

If they get their rotation, squared away, they’ll be formidable, just like they always are at the end of the season

It's weird. Houston is mostly the same cast of characters, plus Josh Hader and the only guy who's way below his norm is Bregman. Would not be surprised if they're right there down the stretch.

FYI - they have 4 starting pitchers on the DL (was covered early in the game);their offense is fine as they were batting.259 which is a tick above LA’s .258 and Tucker is in the MVP discussion.

If they get their rotation, squared away, they’ll be formidable, just like they always are at the end of the season

Yeah. McCullers is always hurt. It's more about Uriquidy and Javier and if Blanco is the no-hit guy or the guy who got pummeled tonight. They,'ve got plenty of options to make noise.

I am not a hard-core stats guy. but I was reading an article (can't remember if it was in Twins Daily or The Athletic) and the point was that according to a number of stats, Lopez was to some extent a victim of bad luck. supposedly, the underlying stats were better than the actual performance and indicated that his ERA really should be about a run lower.

I understand batting average on balls in play. I sort of understand Fielding Independent Pitching. and then there were some other stats in this article that sort of lost me. But the point was that according to all of these stats, Lopez was actually pitching better than the results indicated, and over time, his traditional numbers (ERA, etc) should come down.

so let's hope that's true. I'm almost defiantly old school on some of these stats. I used to try and read Baseball Prospectus, and I grasped the points they were trying to make, but the math involved went over my head. (the last math class I took was Algebra 2 in 1971......)

looking at overall averages for all MLB teams -
runs scored per game: 2024 - 4.31 / 2023 - 4.62
OPS - 2024 - .697 / 2023 - .734
batting avg: 2024 - .240 / 2023 - .248
HR per gm: 2024 - 1.03 / 2023 - 1.21

hitting is down league-wide across the board. there is not a single offensive stat that is higher this season compared to last season. I guess if you want a positive, strikeouts per game are down as well - from 8.61 in 2023 to 8.39 in 2024.
so players are striking out at a lower rate, but it is not contributing to more hits, extra-base hits or runs scored. maybe the pitchers are just better....or maybe the hitting philosophies being taught are flawed.
There is some thinking that the ball has something to do with it.

It would also see what those numbers looked like through the end of May last year. The ball generally travels better in the warmer summer months.

I am not a hard-core stats guy. but I was reading an article (can't remember if it was in Twins Daily or The Athletic) and the point was that according to a number of stats, Lopez was to some extent a victim of bad luck. supposedly, the underlying stats were better than the actual performance and indicated that his ERA really should be about a run lower.

I understand batting average on balls in play. I sort of understand Fielding Independent Pitching. and then there were some other stats in this article that sort of lost me. But the point was that according to all of these stats, Lopez was actually pitching better than the results indicated, and over time, his traditional numbers (ERA, etc) should come down.

so let's hope that's true. I'm almost defiantly old school on some of these stats. I used to try and read Baseball Prospectus, and I grasped the points they were trying to make, but the math involved went over my head. (the last math class I took was Algebra 2 in 1971......)

They pointed out early in the broadcast thst many of his core numbers weren’t that far off through the same number of starts lat year, prior to last night’s start.

Maybe he needs to change his off-season routine, to avoid the slow starts to the season in the future?

They pointed out early in the broadcast thst many of his core numbers weren’t that far off through the same number of starts lat year, prior to last night’s start.

Maybe he needs to change his off-season routine, to avoid the slow starts to the season in the future?
The beard was clearly the problem.

Who's worse: Ober vs. KC or Ryan vs. Houston?
I have nothing to back this up with other than my own observation but it seems there are more variations in performance of starting pitchers across the league. Like really good pitchers having just random awful starts.

I wonder if teams are spending more time researching pitch tipping. *Shrug*

well, at least the Twins will not be no-hit today. Framber Valdez took a no-hitter into the top of the 7th, but it was broken up by that high-average hitter, Manuel Margot.

Miranda added a single so Twins have 2 hits as I type this.

had to look it up - last no-hitter thrown against the Twins was by Jered Weaver of the Angels - May 2nd, 2012 at Anaheim.

there have been 9 no-hitters thrown against the Senators & Twins, including 1 by Nolan Ryan, perfect games by David Wells and Catfish Hunter - but the wildest of them all -- the game where Babe Ruth punched the umpire!!!

BABE RUTH (0 INN.)
ERNIE SHORE (9 INN.)
Boston Red Sox (AL)
Saturday, June 23, 1917 (First game of doubleheader)
Boston Red Sox 4, Washington Senators 0
Fenway Park (Boston)
(First no-hitter to feature more than one pitcher. Ruth was ejected for arguing with and punching the ump after walking lead-off batter Ray Morgan. Shore was called in and Morgan was thrown out trying to steal second. Shore then retired the next 26 batters for the “imperfect game.”)

I liked how Provus took time to explain and walk through how you can watch the game on Roku tomorrow.
I still expect a profanity-filled phone call from my father at about 12:06 tomorrow about not being able to figure it out, but he should at least be pointing in the right direction before I have to step in.

Here’s some interesting notes from Gleeman regarding done of our up and coming young arms -

Zebby Matthews, SP

Current assignment: Double-A Wichita
Twins preseason prospect ranking: 19th

One of the Twins’ defining draft strategies is using mid-round selections on college starters from small schools and boosting their fastball velocity with mechanical tweaks to turn them into legit prospects. Zebby Matthews was a soft-tossing control artist when the Twins picked him in the eighth round out of Western Carolina in 2022, and now he’s topping out at 97 mph.

What’s especially impressive about Matthews’ vastly improved raw stuff is that he’s retained his pinpoint control, leading to video game-like numbers. Bumped from High-A Cedar Rapids to Double-A Wichita two weeks ago, he has a 1.34 ERA and 51-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 40 1/3 total innings this season. Yes, you read that right: 51 strikeouts and one walk.

Matthews regularly works in the mid-90s with his fastball, and the 6-foot-5 right-hander can also attack hitters with a low-90s cutter, a swing-and-miss slider and a solid changeup. He’s been without question the breakout Twins prospect of the first seven weeks, rapidly raising his profile from back-end rotation filler to potential No. 3 or even No. 2 starter.

Andrew Morris, SP

Twins preseason prospect ranking: 17th

Picked four rounds ahead of Matthews in the 2022 draft, Andrew Morris is another college right-hander who has added considerable velocity working with Twins coaches. And whereas Matthews always had elite-level control, Morris’ strike-throwing has improved as a pro, trimming his walk rate from 2.9 per nine innings at Texas Tech to 1.8 per nine in the minors.

Morris received a Double-A promotion two weeks after Matthews by posting a 2.15 ERA and 43-to-7 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 37 2/3 innings against High-A competition at 22. He has a top-five strike rate among all minor leaguers, pounding the zone and inducing grounders with a mid-90s fastball and solid off-speed pitches thrown from an over-the-top arm angle.

Through eight starts this season, 70.4 percent of Morris’ pitches have been strikes. For some big-league context, George Kirby of the Seattle Mariners leads the American League with 70.8 percent strikes. It’s possible Morris will have to dial back the in-zone aggression to avoid damage against high-minors hitters, but for now trusting his raw stuff is working wonders.

Interesting article in The Athletic regarding Miranda’s hard work & resurgence as Lewis appears to be joining the Twins in NYC on Tuesday. Hayes firmly believes Miranda won’t be sent down as do I as well FWIW.

I found the comment below especially interesting regarding Lewis’ defense, as it contradicts one of the smartest, if not the smartest poster on here, who labeled it as “adequate.”

From said article -

Even though Lewis is certain to take at-bats away from Miranda because he’s a superior defender at third base, there’s little talk about whether Miranda will remain in the big leagues. Lewis is expected to rejoin the team when it opens a three-game series on the road against the New York Yankees on Tuesday. Though the team has a difficult choice ahead if everyone remains healthy, Miranda isn’t likely to be the one going.

Last edited:

Here’s some interesting notes from Gleeman regarding done of our up and coming young arms -

Zebby Matthews, SP

Twins preseason prospect ranking: 19th

One of the Twins’ defining draft strategies is using mid-round selections on college starters from small schools and boosting their fastball velocity with mechanical tweaks to turn them into legit prospects. Zebby Matthews was a soft-tossing control artist when the Twins picked him in the eighth round out of Western Carolina in 2022, and now he’s topping out at 97 mph.

What’s especially impressive about Matthews’ vastly improved raw stuff is that he’s retained his pinpoint control, leading to video game-like numbers. Bumped from High-A Cedar Rapids to Double-A Wichita two weeks ago, he has a 1.34 ERA and 51-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 40 1/3 total innings this season. Yes, you read that right: 51 strikeouts and one walk.

Matthews regularly works in the mid-90s with his fastball, and the 6-foot-5 right-hander can also attack hitters with a low-90s cutter, a swing-and-miss slider and a solid changeup. He’s been without question the breakout Twins prospect of the first seven weeks, rapidly raising his profile from back-end rotation filler to potential No. 3 or even No. 2 starter.

Andrew Morris, SP

Twins preseason prospect ranking: 17th

Picked four rounds ahead of Matthews in the 2022 draft, Andrew Morris is another college right-hander who has added considerable velocity working with Twins coaches. And whereas Matthews always had elite-level control, Morris’ strike-throwing has improved as a pro, trimming his walk rate from 2.9 per nine innings at Texas Tech to 1.8 per nine in the minors.

Morris received a Double-A promotion two weeks after Matthews by posting a 2.15 ERA and 43-to-7 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 37 2/3 innings against High-A competition at 22. He has a top-five strike rate among all minor leaguers, pounding the zone and inducing grounders with a mid-90s fastball and solid off-speed pitches thrown from an over-the-top arm angle.

Through eight starts this season, 70.4 percent of Morris’ pitches have been strikes. For some big-league context, George Kirby of the Seattle Mariners leads the American League with 70.8 percent strikes. It’s possible Morris will have to dial back the in-zone aggression to avoid damage against high-minors hitters, but for now trusting his raw stuff is working wonders.
For an organization that just loves the righty/lefty matchups, I fail to understand why they are so reluctant to invest money or picks on a left handed starter. Priellipp seems to be the only LHP in the system that's even decently regarded. Most of the pitching prospects are righties.

Torii Hunter went 5-for-5 with a grand slam, driving in all six runs in a 6-2 win over Cleveland at home in the Dome on this date in 2005.

For an organization that just loves the righty/lefty matchups, I fail to understand why they are so reluctant to invest money or picks on a left handed starter. Priellipp seems to be the only LHP in the system that's even decently regarded. Most of the pitching prospects are righties.
Interesting point. I wonder what average the % of teams starters in the minors are lefties and how the Twins compare to it.

I loved the pick of Priellipp, despite the risk because of his arm troubles, as to get an upper level first round talent With the 48th puck is rare, alas I think you and I might be more likely to be on the hill for the Twins in the future than either he or Canterino.

Here’s his scouting blurb from the MLB -

Prielipp tossed 21 scoreless innings as a freshman at Alabama in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season. Unfortunately, that’s the last time he’s been completely healthy. He needed Tommy John surgery after just three starts in 2021 and didn’t throw a competitive pitch in 2022, though he did participate in the Draft Combine. The Twins rolled the dice on his top-of-the-Draft stuff by taking him in the second round of that summer’s Draft. He managed just two outings in 2023 before the elbow shut him down again and this time he had an internal brace put in to repair the faulty UCL.

While they’ve only seen him briefly in real action, and a little more in instructs and Spring Training, Prielipp has teased with what could be electric stuff. When healthy, he’s had at least two plus pitches in a fastball he was pushing up over 95 mph with the Twins and a slider that was double-plus at its best, with two-plane break and velocities pushing 90 mph. He had also shown decent feel for a lesser-used low-80s changeup.

With only 34 2/3 total innings from his freshman year of college through 2023 under his belt, it’s hard to extrapolate too much about Prielipp’s control and command, though he’s repeated his delivery well and thrown strikes when he has managed to be on the mound. Getting him on one for an extended period of time is the main goal for the 23-year-old lefty.

Julien needs to learn how to hit the curveball; he is lost on them. I think he might be in St. Paul when Royce gets added, he gives away far to many ABs: Free Willi and Farmer should be able to be enough - especially since Willi is on a tear recently and Eddie isn’t the second coming of Ryne Sandburg defensively.

Interesting article in The Athletic regarding Miranda’s hard work & resurgence as Lewis appears to be joining the Twins in NYC on Tuesday. Hayes firmly believes Miranda won’t be sent down as do I as well FWIW.

I found the comment below especially interesting regarding Lewis’ defense, as it contradicts one of the smartest, if not the smartest poster on here, who labeled it as “adequate.”

From said article -

Even though Lewis is certain to take at-bats away from Miranda because he’s a superior defender at third base, there’s little talk about whether Miranda will remain in the big leagues. Lewis is expected to rejoin the team when it opens a three-game series on the road against the New York Yankees on Tuesday. Though the team has a difficult choice ahead if everyone remains healthy, Miranda isn’t likely to be the one going.
Jose clutches up again😃😃😃😃

Jose can see many more MLB ABs in his future!!

Excellent win, another well played game and W in a one run game.

Glad i was wrong on Okert; he’s at 2.79 ERA. He still makes me nervous. But whatever🤷‍♂️

Let’s go kick some Yankees’ tail.

Last edited:

Twins win. down 3-2 on the road, the Twins come back to beat Houston 4-3. Miranda with a HR and an RBI double. Larnach with a HR.

SWR only goes 4-1/3 IP allowing 3 runs on 66 pitches. Bullpen throws 4-2/3 scoreless innings of relief. Okert gets the win, retiring Alvarez with the bases loaded in the 7th.

Twins now 33-26 on the season - 16-13 at home and 17-13 on the road.

I tried to watch the game on the Roku channel, but they had Reggie Jackson in the booth for a while and I couldn't take it any more. all he was doing was giving LaTroy Hawkins grief for playing so long. so I listened to the rest of the game on the radio.

Okert is just alright with me.
I don’t care what they may say.
I don’t care what they may do.
Okert is just alright, oh yeah.

Great series win today. Sending Julien down to make way for Lewis is dumb. If the twins are gonna turn their offense around it’s gonna be because Julien starts hitting anot not because Margot, Castro, or Farmer do. The twins unwillingness to eat bad contracts on super old very average veterans is something. Margot provides so little in both offense and defense I just don’t understand. Tell him to pack his bags and move on. A future platoon of Castro and Farmer is not good.

2B Edouard Julien spent part of postgame in manager’s office, then came out and hugged some teammates. Didn’t talk to reporters, and Twins announced no move, but it appears he’s been told he’s headed to St. Paul to make room for Royce Lewis.

Great series win today. Sending Julien down to make way for Lewis is dumb. If the twins are gonna turn their offense around it’s gonna be because Julien starts hitting anot not because Margot, Castro, or Farmer do. The twins unwillingness to eat bad contracts on super old very average veterans is something. Margot provides so little in both offense and defense I just don’t understand. Tell him to pack his bags and move on. A future platoon of Castro and Farmer is not good.

Disagree. Castro has been a lot better so should continue to play everyday. Julien needs to get his confidence back up and still play everyday as well. I doubt he’ll be down for very long.

Disagree. Castro has been a lot better so should continue to play everyday. Julien needs to get his confidence back up and still play everyday as well. I doubt he’ll be down for very long.
They don’t play good defense though. Kyle Farmer is batting .163 with an OPS of .513. That’s absolute awful, but the twins are just not gonna eat $6 million on him when they can send down someone with options. I worry Castro gets exposed by playing too much. Honestly I would rather see Larnach or Kiriloff go down over Julien. Julien was you opening day second baseman and you traded your longtime second baseman in Polonco to give him second base. There is no reason to not keep him up here right now.

Are you going to any of the games this week?

I’ll be at two of the games in Pittsburgh next weekend.
Unfortunately no, I had a ruff winter/spring health wise and there’s not a day game in the bunch. Night games aren’t feasible now.

Are you going to get to see Skenes twirl?

Last edited:

Top Bottom