All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

you're the manager. these are your choices.

player A: .273/.327/.393 (.721)

player B: .184/.296/.316 (.611)

seems pretty cut-and-dried. player A has better numbers, right?

Player A is Margot vs LHP.

Player B is Wallner vs LHP.

this is how decisions are made - based on actual evidence - based on numbers - based on performance. not on feelings.
I think that only tells part of the story as starters rarely go more than 5 or so, then they bring in a righty so you pinch hit Wallner for Margot, then later in the game they bring a lefty back and voila, you got no one to use off the bench. Whether it's Margot, Farmer, Julien etc, you end up flip flopping back and forth and become limited late in the game. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

I think that only tells part of the story as starters rarely go more than 5 or so, then they bring in a righty so you pinch hit Wallner for Margot, then later in the game they bring a lefty back and voila, you got no one to use off the bench. Whether it's Margot, Farmer, Julien etc, you end up flip flopping back and forth and become limited late in the game. Just my opinion.
But in that situation you still get the better matchup in 3 of 4 at bats. If you start Wallner against the lefty, then you probably only end up getting 1 or 2 of 4 ideal matchups.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it, just that I understand the thinking. I wish guys like Wallner and Larnach were given more opportunities to hit against lefties earlier in the season. It's hard to get better at something if you rarely get opportunities.

But in that situation you still get the better matchup in 3 of 4 at bats. If you start Wallner against the lefty, then you probably only end up getting 1 or 2 of 4 ideal matchups.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it, just that I understand the thinking. I wish guys like Wallner and Larnach were given more opportunities to hit against lefties earlier in the season. It's hard to get better at something if you rarely get opportunities.
practice makes perfect

you're the manager. these are your choices.

player A: .273/.327/.393 (.721)

player B: .184/.296/.316 (.611)

seems pretty cut-and-dried. player A has better numbers, right?

Player A is Margot vs LHP.

Player B is Wallner vs LHP.

this is how decisions are made - based on actual evidence - based on numbers - based on performance. not on feelings.
I get the #'s, but for Wallner it's a tiny sample size because they never let him hit lefties.

Margot should not be on the roster period. He can't field, he can't run and he can't hit. He'll end up on a minor league deal Spring Training invite for 2025, but the Twins give him 350 AB's and can't wait to pinch hit him in the games he doesn't start even though he's set an all-time Major League record for pinch hitting futility. Meanwhile a superior option sits in AAA. It's ridiculous.

Their obsession with all RH line-ups against lefties and PH'ing is so overboard. There's no allowance for who is hitting well, who isn't etc. The analytics say PH Margot for Wallner. Never mind that he's 0-30 on the season as pinch hitter. The analytics say he has a better chance!

I blame Brad Pitt.

If it were me, I'd always roll with the more talented player but I wear flip flops in the winter so what the hell do I know.
There's a place for them, especially in the front office. But managing every game by them no matter what is foolish. There's a happy medium and they don't even try to find it.

@tikited

Just saw the highlight of that game winning walk off around the horn triple play by the Padres to clinch a playoff spot against the Dodger 🐶. They are only two games back now and already hold the tiebreaker as well.

Woof

For those who haven’t witnessed this beauty, see below -

@tikited

Just saw the highlight of that game winning walk off around the horn triple play by the Padres to clinch a playoff spot against the Dodger 🐶. They are only two games back now and already hold the tiebreaker as well.

Woof

For those who haven’t witnessed this beauty, see below -

I can't watch...

Cole Irvin being claimed off waivers, blowing the biggest game of the year, and then being DFA’d all in a week will never not be funny. Glad we couldn’t just ride with Alcala or someone else on the team vs some scrub. I hope the move saved the ownership group some money.

giphy.gif

Team gave up while the playoffs were still on the line. Owners gave up prior to the season.

With the season on the line, no Wallner. No Larnach. Manny Margot will save us.

So in hindsight, all the back and forth and ripping Rocco on starting Margot instead of Wallner yesterday was likely just as much because he was ailing.

Wallner to IL. Martin recalled.

Last edited:

so if I have this straight -

in order for the Twins to make the playoffs, one of these scenarios has to take place:

Twins go 4-0, KC or Detroit go 2-2

Twins go 3-1, KC or Detroit go 1-3.

Twins go 2-2, KC or Detroit go 0-4.

Twins have tie-breaker over both KC and Detroit. KC has tie-breaker over Detroit.

Twins have 1 gm with Miami and 3 with Baltimore.

KC has 1 gm with Washington and 3 with Atlanta.

Detroit has 1 gm with Tampa Bay and 3 with the White Sox (Whiteys have won 2 in a row.....)

so if I have this straight -

in order for the Twins to make the playoffs, one of these scenarios has to take place:

Twins go 4-0, KC or Detroit go 2-2

Twins go 3-1, KC or Detroit go 1-3.

Twins go 2-2, KC or Detroit go 0-4.

Twins have tie-breaker over both KC and Detroit. KC has tie-breaker over Detroit.

Twins have 1 gm with Miami and 3 with Baltimore.

KC has 1 gm with Washington and 3 with Atlanta.

Detroit has 1 gm with Tampa Bay and 3 with the White Sox (Whiteys have won 2 in a row.....)
KC plays Atlanta who still has a lot to play for as well. It's possible Baltimore has their exact seeding locked up as soon as today. I don't see Detroit losing more than 1 to Chicago.

Tuesday's loss to Miami might be the one that keeps them out of the playoffs. Inexcusable performance.

Top Bottom