All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

KC plays Atlanta who still has a lot to play for as well. It's possible Baltimore has their exact seeding locked up as soon as today. I don't see Detroit losing more than 1 to Chicago.

Tuesday's loss to Miami might be the one that keeps them out of the playoffs. Inexcusable performance.
There have been at least 10 other inexcusable performances since they blew that 4-0 lead against the Rangers in the latter innings.

They are just flat out hitting challenged, which is magnified when a bad fielding play leads to an extra run here or there as well as a pretty depth challenged bullpen.

KC plays Atlanta who still has a lot to play for as well. It's possible Baltimore has their exact seeding locked up as soon as today. I don't see Detroit losing more than 1 to Chicago.

Tuesday's loss to Miami might be the one that keeps them out of the playoffs. Inexcusable performance.
Sidebar: Atlanta’s game last night with the Mets and tonight are rescheduled due to Hurricane Helene and both games will be made up as a double dip on Monday

Sidebar: Atlanta’s game last night with the Mets and tonight are rescheduled due to Hurricane Helene and both games will be made up as a double dip on Monday
I don't get why they didn't play yesterday.

Edit: Nevermind, it was raining there all day yesterday, not related to hurricane.

1 inning out of your starter while the season is hanging by a thread. Ouch.
True, but in his defense, we wouldn’t be in the position without his consistent overall decent/good starts this year - he had a clunker last night.

This season he’s at 147 innings pitched, besting last year’s previous high of 118.1; so not unusual that he ran out of gas.

From his comments about working out over the AS break, I’ll bet my bottom dollar, he’s gonna work his rear end off and solidify his spot in the rotation next year.

With him, Festa and Zebby all being rookies this year, we’re in a great spot going forward m; not even counting on all the arms in the minors.

Last edited:

so if I have this straight -

in order for the Twins to make the playoffs, one of these scenarios has to take place:

Twins go 4-0, KC or Detroit go 2-2

Twins go 3-1, KC or Detroit go 1-3.

Twins go 2-2, KC or Detroit go 0-4.

Twins have tie-breaker over both KC and Detroit. KC has tie-breaker over Detroit.

Twins have 1 gm with Miami and 3 with Baltimore.

KC has 1 gm with Washington and 3 with Atlanta.

Detroit has 1 gm with Tampa Bay and 3 with the White Sox (Whiteys have won 2 in a row.....)
"In order to make a birdie on this 725-yard Par 5 to make the tournament cut, you simply need to:

1. Carry your tee shot 325 yards in the air to clear a gator-infested lake.

2. Hit your 1-iron high enough for an eagle to snatch your ball and drop it in the pot bunker next to the green.

3. Avoiding the Mongolian death worms that reside in the bunker, knock your shot on the green that slants 90 degrees from left to right.

4. Hit your putt with a hockey stick, bounce it off a Volkswagen, roll it down the gutter system of the Pro Shop, around a collapsed media tower and then ricochet it off your caddie's Ritz cracker into the hole.

5. As a reminder, you must play the entire hole left-handed while finishing a fifth of Wild Turkey before reaching the green.

Good luck, kid...you got this!"

"In order to make a birdie on this 725-yard Par 5 to make the tournament cut, you simply need to:

1. Carry your tee shot 325 yards in the air to clear a gator-infested lake.

2. Hit your 1-iron high enough for an eagle to snatch your ball and drop it in the pot bunker next to the green.

3. Avoiding the Mongolian death worms that reside in the bunker, knock your shot on the green that slants 90 degrees from left to right.

4. Hit your putt with a hockey stick, bounce it off a Volkswagen, roll it down the gutter system of the Pro Shop, around a collapsed media tower and then ricochet it off your caddie's Ritz cracker into the hole.

5. As a reminder, you must play the entire hole left-handed while finishing a fifth of Wild Turkey before reaching the green.

Good luck, kid...you got this!"
In Tiger Woods 09 I once had a drive of nearly 600 yards so it's easily possible.

so if I have this straight -

in order for the Twins to make the playoffs, one of these scenarios has to take place:

Twins go 4-0, KC or Detroit go 2-2

Twins go 3-1, KC or Detroit go 1-3.

Twins go 2-2, KC or Detroit go 0-4.

Twins have tie-breaker over both KC and Detroit. KC has tie-breaker over Detroit.

Twins have 1 gm with Miami and 3 with Baltimore.

KC has 1 gm with Washington and 3 with Atlanta.

Detroit has 1 gm with Tampa Bay and 3 with the White Sox (Whiteys have won 2 in a row.....)
If Seattle sweeps Oakland this weekend, they could theoretically leapfrog all three teams. We have the tie-breaker advantage on the Mariners also.

I don't get why they didn't play yesterday.

Edit: Nevermind, it was raining there all day yesterday, not related to hurricane.
Actually, they just said on Around The Horn & PTI that it was due to rains associated with the approaching hurricane.If you have an article which disputes this, please feel free to post.

This seems to be confirmed by an article in USA Today article and several others as well.

MLB blows up NL playoff race by postponing Mets vs. Braves series due to Hurricane Helene​

Major League Baseball announced Wednesday that the final two games of the critical New York Mets vs. Braves series in Atlanta would be postponed and played in a doubleheader next Monday – the day after the regular season ends – due to the approaching Hurricane Helene.

The league's decision completely upends the National League playoff race, which began Wednesday with the Mets holding a one-game advantage and Arizona Diamondbacks a half-game up on the Braves, who were on the outside looking in.

Actually, they just said on Around The Horn & PTI that it was due to rains associated with the approaching hurricane.If you have an article which disputes this, please feel free to post.

This seems to be confirmed by an article in USA Today article and several others as well.

MLB blows up NL playoff race by postponing Mets vs. Braves series due to Hurricane Helene​

Major League Baseball announced Wednesday that the final two games of the critical New York Mets vs. Braves series in Atlanta would be postponed and played in a doubleheader next Monday – the day after the regular season ends – due to the approaching Hurricane Helene.

The league's decision completely upends the National League playoff race, which began Wednesday with the Mets holding a one-game advantage and Arizona Diamondbacks a half-game up on the Braves, who were on the outside looking in.
Edited, I was right 🤷‍♂️?: I was thinking outer bands - the storm before the storm.

Last edited:

Sounds like Atlanta is going to hold Sale out this weekend and save him for Monday’s doubleheader, unless they face potential elimination Sunday.

Jim Kaat & the Twins clinched the AL pennant with a 2-1 win in the nation's capital on this date in 1965. Time of Game: One hour & 57 minutes.

The Twins only got three hits in the game. One run scored on a passed ball and the other on a sac fly (after a wild pitch).

I think it was enhanced by the hurricane but other conditions had to exist as well. It would have rained yesterday without the hurricane.

Nice little Fire Rocco chant going by the 700 people who stuck it out.
I'd be surprised if Rocco gets the scapegoat award, but unsurprised if the hitting coach gets a pink slip.

There are a number of young players who folded under pressure and couldn't remain consistent. Maybe a silver lining is their maturity growth in learning from this failure for next season.

The Pohlad's are to blame for not investing in a solid pitching core for this season. Relying on so many rookies took its toll down the stretch. The question is whether the Pohlad's care or not.

Top Bottom