All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Of CLE, KC & MIN only the Guards have any games left with the White Sox (3 game series at New Comiskey). In a tight race, maybe it will come down to that.

Hopefully CLE & KC trade wins in the 7 games they face off against each other. CLE has the extra home game.
They mentioned during the last Cleveland series, that they had split the first ten games, go Sux!

I know they want to keep Varland as a starter long term and that's fine but I think it's time to bring him up for the bullpen in September.
IIRC, he has one option left, will be interesting to see how they handle him at St. Paul for the rest of August.

IIRC, he has one option left, will be interesting to see how they handle him at St. Paul for the rest of August.
My understanding of options is they are per year so he's already used up the option for the season. He can be sent back and forth without using any more options this season.

My understanding of options is they are per year so he's already used up the option for the season. He can be sent back and forth without using any more options this season.
Thanks.

I read it in The Athletic’s comments, so 🤔

Twins: Andrew Morris, RHP (No. 9)
It’s almost an art form the way the Twins find pitching talent in later rounds of the Draft, and they’ve already gotten help from David Festa (13th round) and Zebby Matthews (eighth round). Could Morris, a fourth-rounder in 2022, be next? He started the year at High-A and now he’s in Triple-A, leading the organization in ERA (2.16) to go along with a .214 BAA and 1.05 WHIP. The Twins’ staff is deep, but Morris looks ready to assist when called.

This is correct. His 2024 option has already been used. The only exception is the call-up for double-header wouldn't count if that was the only time he'd been up.

Look at where this organization was pre- Falvey and Lavine (and Rocco) and compare to where they are now, and people still want to rake those guys over the coals. It makes no sense to me. This was arguably the worst organization in baseball for most of the 2010's and now we apprear to have a perennial contender for the coming years. I almost feel bad for the people who want to be miserable like that.
Bill Smith and Terry Ryan stint 2 were disastrous.

on options -

a player on the 40-man roster has 3 "options."

each option is for one year. a player can sent down to the minors and called back up to MLB multiple times during a season, and that accounts for one option year.

But - there is a limit on the number of times a player can be sent down and called back in one season - 5 times. if you call up a player more than 5 times, he cannot be sent down again without being Designated for Assignment and exposed to waivers.

and Varland has either been optioned 3 or 4 times this season, so the Twins are limited on the number of moves they can make without possibly exposing him to waivers.

on options -

a player on the 40-man roster has 3 "options."

each option is for one year. a player can sent down to the minors and called back up to MLB multiple times during a season, and that accounts for one option year.

But - there is a limit on the number of times a player can be sent down and called back in one season - 5 times. if you call up a player more than 5 times, he cannot be sent down again without being Designated for Assignment and exposed to waivers.

and Varland has either been optioned 3 or 4 times this season, so the Twins are limited on the number of moves they can make without possibly exposing him to waivers.
Thanks son, you are always an ocean of information. Much appreciated.

Great article, via The Athletic, regarding five young hurlers who are best positioned for success - the first two in the article are Festa and Zebby.

Also, in another article they discussed the AL playoff odds, here’s the relevant snippet

The New York Yankees(99.4 percent chance of making the playoffs), Baltimore Orioles (97.8 percent) and Cleveland Guardians (92.5 percent) are basically postseason locks in the American League, while the Houston Astros(90.3 percent) and Minnesota Twins (87.7 percent) are statistically safe bets. The Kansas City Royals currently hold the final wild card spot with a 75.1 percent chance of keeping it.

Lots to 😃 about

Battling a serious knee injury for much of the season, Rod Carew was uncharacteristically hitting just .279 on this date in 1971.

He then proceeded to hit .413 down the stretch, with 18 multi-hit performances over the final 31 games to finish the season with a .307 average.

IMG_8206.jpeg

Battling a serious knee injury for much of the season, Rod Carew was uncharacteristically hitting just .279 on this date in 1971.

He then proceeded to hit .413 down the stretch, with 18 multi-hit performances over the final 31 games to finish the season with a .307 average.

View attachment 33106
I just ordered this t-shirt for myself

1724427288283.png

The Twins play on Apple again on Sept 6 so might have to bite the bullet and get it for a month.

If you look at MLB.com, you can watch any game you want for free tonight!
(Oh wait, the two Apple TV games aren't available).
Even if it was a Bally's game, it would still be blacked out in "Twins Territory". But you can watch any "other" game...

Great article, via The Athletic, regarding five young hurlers who are best positioned for success - the first two in the article are Festa and Zebby.

Also, in another article they discussed the AL playoff odds, here’s the relevant snippet

The New York Yankees(99.4 percent chance of making the playoffs), Baltimore Orioles (97.8 percent) and Cleveland Guardians (92.5 percent) are basically postseason locks in the American League, while the Houston Astros(90.3 percent) and Minnesota Twins (87.7 percent) are statistically safe bets. The Kansas City Royals currently hold the final wild card spot with a 75.1 percent chance of keeping it.

Lots to 😃 about
Thankfully with Minnesota sports, things rarely go south on us once we have an 80% + chance of success...

Danny Jansen will become the first player in history to play for both teams in the same game. In June a game between the Blue Jays and Red Sox was suspended due to rain. On Monday they'll complete the game. Jansen started the game for the Blue Jays but has since been traded to the Red Sox. The Red Sox confirmed they will have Jansen catch the completion of the game.

Baseball is so weird and I love it.

Bobby Nightengale Jr reporting that Alex Kirilloff will begin a rehab assignment for St. Paul tonight, and Brooks Lee will play for St. Paul on Saturday.

I had pretty much written Kirilloff off as a possible contributor. but if he can show that he can actually play - and stay healthy - at least he might have some minimal trade value.

Lee coming back is more important because he gives them another option at SS (as long as Correa is still out).

Top Bottom