All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I still like Alcala, but not sure I like him back to back days.

Also the capper was Julien striking out looking in the 8th. Now in fairness strike 3 was really ball 4, but he drives me nuts with his lack of aggressions.

it's not really lack of aggression. he swings from the heels if he thinks the pitch is a strike. but he is so convinced that he is the master of the strike zone that he cannot or will not swing at any pitch that he determines to be out of the strike zone - but he also does not take the umpire into account.

Julien literally thinks he is a better judge of the strike zone than the Umpire. unless he learns this is a losing strategy, he is going to look himself out of baseball.

his baseball obituary will read "career ended due to being stubborn."

How good have The Twins been, since their inept start to the season, scary good -

From MLB Power Rankings, which are released every Monday -

7. Twins (previously: 8).
Season high: 7 | Season low: 23
Remember when everyone was worried about the Twins? The great Athleticwriter Aaron Gleeman pointed out this week that “the Twins have followed four bad weeks by playing at a 100-win pace for four months.” We should stop thinking they’re in the middle with everyone else and start thinking this is one of the absolute best teams in baseball.

it's not really lack of aggression. he swings from the heels if he thinks the pitch is a strike. but he is so convinced that he is the master of the strike zone that he cannot or will not swing at any pitch that he determines to be out of the strike zone - but he also does not take the umpire into account.

Julien literally thinks he is a better judge of the strike zone than the Umpire. unless he learns this is a losing strategy, he is going to look himself out of baseball.

his baseball obituary will read "career ended due to being stubborn."
Umps hate that type of arrogance.

Our SS, cocky shite, went into the lefties batter’s (he was a righty) box to draw where the outside strike was called if he disagreed with his bat - Hilarious

Last edited:

How good have The Twins been, since their inept start to the season, scary good -

From MLB Power Rankings, which are released every Monday -

7. Twins (previously: 8).
Season high: 7 | Season low: 23
Remember when everyone was worried about the Twins? The great Athleticwriter Aaron Gleeman pointed out this week that “the Twins have followed four bad weeks by playing at a 100-win pace for four months.” We should stop thinking they’re in the middle with everyone else and start thinking this is one of the absolute best teams in baseball.
The Twins are essentially scoring runs at a similar pace as the Dodgers and Phillies.

Twins 4.88 run/game
Dodgers 4.90
Phillies 4.89

They're a really good team.

Debby with his second start tonight against the Friars - they currently have the highest team BA.

Hope we get a quality start.

The Twins are not getting to the ALCS period. They won't avoid the Yankees. I can bet you the Twins will get the Yankees in the Wild Card round and get swept right out of it.

- Ober will match equally or favorably with any other team's game 1 starter.
- Last 5 starts Lopez has looked good. At this pace, he will match equally or favorably with any team's game 2 starter.
- Our game 3 and game 4 starters will match equally or not much worse than any other team's game 3 and game 4 starter.

- Offensively, with Correa and Buxton back especially (critical that they return), we take a back seat to no one.

- On the negative side, our bullpen lacks consistent depth. Although Jax has been phenomenal this season and Duran seems to be coming around.

Baseball playoffs are always kind of a crapshoot, but Twins should feel good about their chances to do very well.
Would be really nice to get that first or second seed.

Last edited:

The Twins are not getting to the ALCS period. They won't avoid the Yankees. I can bet you the Twins will get the Yankees in the Wild Card round and get swept right out of it.
1) You're saying the Twins are not getting to the ALCS period.
2) Then you're betting that the Twins will get the Yankees in the Wild Card and get right out of it.

You're kind of all over the board here.
If our pitching can continue to get better. We'll beat the Yankees this year. We're due.

Please tell me where I said we’re playing in the Wild Card round? I didn’t, cause that’s so last year. The winner of the Central will have the second best record for a division winner and grab that coveted first round bye,and that’s gonna be the Twins IMO, FWIW. We win the Central by 2+ games.

I have more faith in our offense, per the info/data that I and G-Iowa provided, than Cleveland’s overtaxed bullpen. Just the musings of a middle aged semi-retired slub in NYC.

So we’re both on the record and regardless, I’m sticking with my ALCs prediction this year regardless of what round we end up in. I’ll also double down on we win the WS between now and the end of the 2027 season. As I stated before, Wally and Royce will be two of Top 15 players in MLB by the 2027 season.

Last edited:

I am guessing Yanks would prefer to play us rather than even the White Sox.
They own us. They know it and we know it.

That game was decided on one pitch last night. That bases clearing double. Matthews had him 0 and 2, and threw a change up right down the middle.

What happened to setting a hitter up? Hard high and in, then a breaking pitch or change low and away

That game was decided on one pitch last night. That bases clearing double. Matthews had him 0 and 2, and threw a change up right down the middle.

What happened to setting a hitter up? Hard high and in, then a breaking pitch or change low and away

They said on the broadcast, the pitch was meant to be at the bottom of the zone and he missed; which after two high fastballs would be setting up the hitter (slower speed and different eye level).

Also, he was pitching in class A three months ago.

Last edited:

They said on the broadcast, the pitch was meant to be at the bottom of the zone and he missed; which after two high fastballs would be setting up the hitter (slower speed and different eye level).

Also, he was pitching in class A three months ago.
I think Tim McCarver used to term that "wild within the strike zone".

Otherwise known, chucking a meatball.

Last edited:

would have been out of the inning if the Twins hadn't messed up the play at 1st. Santana mishandles a ball, and then Matthews drops the throw from Julien. If either one of them makes the play, the inning is over with no damage. but that's baseball.

Matthews is not going to be perfect. it's a big jump from the minors to the majors - maybe more so today than at any point of the game. He still needs to develop his off-speed pitches and breaking ball. not going to get by with just a fast ball. but he clearly has potential.

bigger picture - the lineup is not producing. without Correa and Buxton, they're not getting enough production from the lineup. too many holes and too many streaky hitters.

San Diego's lineup, top to bottom, is just flat-out better than the Twins.

I hop you’re not a teacher 🥸
I was Target Field for the concert so I did not see the game, just the highlight. If it's a grading situation though, has to be a "Fail".

Not saying Zebby can't grow from it. Certainly possible even short term, if not long.

I did catch the tail end of the postgame show, Rocco was complimentary of him, even after getting roughed up, to at least pitch the 5th inning without giving up a run and not tax the bullpen too much.

I was Target Field for the concert so I did not see the game, just the highlight. If it's a grading situation though, has to be a "Fail".
Thank you, Mr. Hand 🥸
Not saying Zebby can't grow from it. Certainly possible even short term, if not long
Agreed.

We generally learn more from our mishaps than our successes.
I did catch the tail end of the postgame show, Rocco was complimentary of him, even after getting roughed up, to at least pitch the 5th inning without giving up a run and not tax the bullpen too much.
He still only gave up 2 ER in 5. Kept us in the game.

He needs to figure out ho to miss more bats.

Amazing to have three rookies with this much potential. Great they can share it with two others and push each other.

SWR seems like a sophomore at this point -like a freshman basketball guard that graduates to another level as a frosh.

This panoply of young pitching talent, when you include Pablo, Ober and Ryan all currently under 30, is partially where I get my hutzpah to predict the third WS 👑before the 2028 season.

Last edited:

Thank you, Mr. Hand 🥸

Agreed.

Amazing yo have three rookies with this much potential. Great they can share it with two others and puddly each other.

SWR seems like a sophomore at this point -like a freshman basketball guard that graduates to another level as a frosh.

This panoply of young pitching talent, when you include Pablo, Ober and Ryan all currently under 30, is partially where I get my hutzpah to predict the third WS 👑before the 2028 season.
According to Jonathon Cain of Journey, last night while he was thanking Minneapolis and the Twins for hosting them he gave a shout out to the team for "Their THREE World Series Championships".

He must have been counting the Senators 1924 Pennant to go along with '87 & '91.

Edit - It was Cain not Schon.

According to Neal Schon of Journey, last night while he was thanking Minneapolis and the Twins for hosting them he gave a shout out to the team for "Their THREE World Series Championships".
Creative Math Rules.
He must have been counting the Senators 1924 Pennant to go along with '87 & '91.
How was the show?

Creative Math Rules.

How was the show?

Proving mistakes can be made, it was actually Cain not Schon with the 3 Championship Titles comment last night. I misremembered, my bad. I had a couple of Kona Big Waves by that point.

Show was pretty solid. I put a little blub in the Live Concert thread. I enjoyed Steve Miller Band the most.

Thank you, Mr. Hand 🥸

Agreed.

Amazing yo have three rookies with this much potential. Great they can share it with two others and puddly each other.

And guys like Marco Raya and Andrew Morris aren't too far away too. Charlee Soto might have the best stuff of all of them but he's still at least a few years away (won't turn 19 until next week).

And guys like Marco Raya and Andrew Morris aren't too far away too. Charlee Soto might have the best stuff of all of them but he's still at least a few years away (won't turn 19 until next week).
Our future’s so bright, we gotta wear 😎

can't remember where I saw this, but I was reading an article about the "pitching pipeline" and I saw Prielipp mentioned - but as a potential relief pitcher.

checked to see how Prielipp is doing in the minors, and ........

made two short appearances in the FCL and at Fort Myers.
then moved up to Cedar Rapids. his stats there - 4 starts - 10-1/3 IP - 11H - 10R - 7ER - 6BB - 17K - 6.10 ERA.

looking closer, at Cedar Rapids he's had two decent outings and two outings where he got lit up. looks like they're keeping him to around 45-50 pitches per outing.

now, to be fair, Prielipp did not pitch at all in 2022. in 2023 and 2024 combined, 21 IP. he's a lottery ticket. if it pays off, great. if it doesn't pay out, that's life. but he's struggling so far with his return to action.

We need to put a leash on Martin- I love aggressive base running, but you can’t be getting thrown out at third by 5 feet two nights in a row (if the throws were fielded cleanly).

Now Miranda🤦‍♂️

Tighten this 💩 up!!

Last edited:

Top Bottom