All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

No thanks. I'd rather Festa get a shot.

Rather target a cheap lefty like Austin Gomber or Tyler Anderson.

in the end, I think it all comes down to payroll. If the Twins get an extra $10-15 million from this new luxury tax payback (for teams that lost local TV revenue), that money is specifically meant to go toward payroll. that might make a difference in the type of pitcher they target.

and now - not to bring anyone down - was reading an article about the Twins' expected future payroll, and it noted that the Twins have $90 million committed to their five highest-paid players for next season: Carlos Correa, Pablo López, Byron Buxton, Christian Vázquez and Chris Paddack.

yup - everyone's favorite catcher and a pitcher who can't stay healthy make up two of the top-five highest paid players.

more from that article by Bobby Nightengale in the Strib:

Several players are in line for significant raises through contract extensions and salary arbitration.
More than a third of the Twins roster includes players who are eligible for arbitration next season, a group that includes Willi Castro, Ryan Jeffers, Bailey Ober, Joe Ryan, Griffin Jax, Jhoan Duran and Royce Lewis.

What it means is the Twins could lose all their impending free agents — Max Kepler
We have depth there.
, Carlos Santana
Perfect for this year, he’ll be 39 next year and I can see Miranda transitioning into our full time first baseman next year.
Manuel Margot
Martin can take his role full time
, Kyle Farmer
Redundant with Castro’s emergence.
and Caleb Thielbar
Old, not very effective anymore and can be replaced.
— and still enter the upcoming offseason with their payroll at their current $130 million level.

in the end, I think it all comes down to payroll. If the Twins get an extra $10-15 million from this new luxury tax payback (for teams that lost local TV revenue), that money is specifically meant to go toward payroll. that might make a difference in the type of pitcher they target.

and now - not to bring anyone down - was reading an article about the Twins' expected future payroll, and it noted that the Twins have $90 million committed to their five highest-paid players for next season: Carlos Correa, Pablo López, Byron Buxton, Christian Vázquez and Chris Paddack.

yup - everyone's favorite catcher and a pitcher who can't stay healthy make up two of the top-five highest paid players.

more from that article by Bobby Nightengale in the Strib:

Several players are in line for significant raises through contract extensions and salary arbitration.
More than a third of the Twins roster includes players who are eligible for arbitration next season, a group that includes Willi Castro, Ryan Jeffers, Bailey Ober, Joe Ryan, Griffin Jax, Jhoan Duran and Royce Lewis.

What it means is the Twins could lose all their impending free agents — Max Kepler, Carlos Santana, Manuel Margot, Kyle Farmer and Caleb Thielbar — and still enter the upcoming offseason with their payroll at their current $130 million level.
No need to retain any of those FA's but they still likely need to move some $$. Maybe Vazquez but they'd have to eat half of it.

Jim Merritt pitched a Twins record 13 innings in a 3-2, 18-inning win at Yankee Stadium on this date in 1967.

IMG_7667.jpeg

One of the potential targets is off the board. Zach Eflin was traded to the Orioles. Looks like Tampa is going to be big sellers.

Detroit's best hitter by far, Riley Greene, went on the IL today.

I remember some people saying Detroit signing Baez was a better move than the Twins signing Correa. Baez hit just 9 HR last year in 510 at bats and is at just 2 in 220 this year. He stinks.

Detroit's best hitter by far, Riley Greene, went on the IL today.

I remember some people saying Detroit signing Baez was a better move than the Twins signing Correa. Baez hit just 9 HR last year in 510 at bats and is at just 2 in 220 this year. He stinks.
You stink too.

Do they poke 🐻 in Iowa?

Hilarious story regarding collecting your kid’s rookie card (thanks Dan) -

MINNEAPOLIS — Twins rookie reliever Kody Funderburk wasn’t surprised to discover his mom negotiating online over the value of his baseball cards. But her latest bargaining session managed to get a chuckle out of the Minnesota Twins rookie relief pitcher.

Earlier this week, Topps, the manufacturer of Major League Baseballtrading cards, shared a screenshot of an eBay private message between a potential buyer and the seller of a 2024 Topps Chrome Funderburk rookie card orange parallel — a version of the card with an orange border, only 25 of which were printed — that was priced at $99.

“I’m probably Kody’s biggest fan,” the interested party wrote, “I’m his mom, I’m wondering what is the lowest you (would) consider for someone who knows nothing about card prices but trying to get my kid’s cards. I have no idea but seems like $99.00 is a lot for my kid. No?”

Avid collectors of the pitcher’s baseball cards, Funderburk’s family is actually well-versed in tracking down and purchasing the different variations.

Yet apparently even they have their limits.

I've got to assume most (if not all) of Margot's pinch hitting attempts have been versus lefties. Even with that 0 for 20-something, he's still hitting. 292 against lefties.

Yankees land Chisholm from Marlins for 3 prospects (source)​

The Yankees reached an agreement Saturday to acquire second baseman/outfielder Jazz Chisholm Jr.from the Marlins for a package of three prospects, a source told MLB.com's Christina De Nicola. The clubs have not confirmed.

Voted in as the National League's starting second baseman for the 2022 All-Star Game, Chisholm has spent the vast majority of the past two seasons in center field, where he moved in order to make room for Miami's acquisition of All-Star second baseman Luis Arraez. Only recently did Chisholm return to second a couple times a week to cut back on how much running he was doing in the outfield.

I've got to assume most (if not all) of Margot's pinch hitting attempts have been versus lefties. Even with that 0 for 20-something, he's still hitting. 292 against lefties.
Twins radio said Margot is 0-17 PH against lefties. Games he's started against them he was .354 entering tonight.

The twins are certainly using up the good will from last seasons playoff win. Going forward for PR they should pull a Constanza and do the opposite. I appreciate the honesty of saying you’re gonna cut the payroll, but next time do what everyone else does and lie.

Harmon Killebrew and Rod Carew both hit pinch-hit home runs off Nolan Ryan in his final career relief appearance on this date in 1974. (Killebrew and Carew pinch-hitting? Ryan relieving? What a strange entry this was for me to write.)

Ryan had pitched a complete game three days earlier, and pitched a 10-inning complete game two days later. Built different.

Top Bottom