All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Will be interesting to see if Ober’s ERA ends up under 3 by seasons end

Going to be interesting to see what they do if they even do anything

Any longtime fan of the Twins has heard multiple variations of “cheap Pohlads” hundreds of times, often with good reason. For decades, the Twins were known throughout baseball as spendthrifts. Former GM Terry Ryan took pride in not spending his entire budget each offseason. The Twins constantly referred to themselves as a small-market team, despite being in a firmly mid-size media market. By the way, the Pohlads are roughly baseball’s 10th-richest owners.

Going to be interesting to see what they do if they even do anything

Any longtime fan of the Twins has heard multiple variations of “cheap Pohlads” hundreds of times, often with good reason. For decades, the Twins were known throughout baseball as spendthrifts. Former GM Terry Ryan took pride in not spending his entire budget each offseason. The Twins constantly referred to themselves as a small-market team, despite being in a firmly mid-size media market. By the way, the Pohlads are roughly baseball’s 10th-richest owners.

It's puzzling how they can be this bad at P.R. Why invite criticism? Just say, "We're currently looking at all the ways we can improve the team without damaging the future of the organization." You're not obligated to tell the media and public that you're not spending a dime.

Not sure it’s even within the rules to set up that far outside.
Correct
There’s an area where catchers need to stay in…. I thought .
The catcher’s box.

Also, holy balls he swung at that?!
Yes😃! And holier balls it took the Twins two HRs from him before they started doing it. Everyone knows you don’t ever throw him a strike because he has the ability to crush it and now swings from his ass every AB and chases everything in the pursuit of arse swinging.

Sad, as he was a very good player when he was with the Cubbies, 2X AS, GG, WS and was 2nd in MVP. But once he got his 6 yr/$140M (runs through 2027 🤮) from the Tigers, he just checked out. The Twins thank goodness have never made this type of signing.

Joe and Jim Pohlad have dug themselves into a really deep hole.

to be clear - I believe that the Pohlads have the right to run their business as they see fit. I do not believe that they somehow 'owe it to the fans' to lose money on the operation of the Twins.

but - I do think they owe the fans an honest and open explanation of what they are doing and why.

because of the Pohlad's own PR mistakes, they are now in a situation where anything they do will be criticized.

the one way out is - I believe - the one way they will not take, because the other owners would never let them - and that is to open their books. lay it out for the public to see exactly the total revenue and expenses for each season and the operating profit or loss. then at least they would have a factual basis on which to make their argument. (assuming that the figures match what the Pohlads have been saying)

Yes, I know. I was just highlighting the fact Milwaukee baseball fans have suffered nearly as long as Cleveland fans. Especially those born before WWII.
Great point, so naturally I missed it.

Guards last winner 1948.
Pirates 79
O’s 83
Tigers 84
Mets 86

While I think a lot of people don't understand the economics of baseball, the past 6 months or so have been a disaster from a PR standpoint. It's hard to listen to and not be frustrated.

I said it before but they're probably set up even better next season to make a run as they potentially lose very little. So ideally if they make a trade, it's for someone that is around next season also.

Doogie says he's hearing that the Twins are in agreement on a contract with #1 draft pick Kaelen Culpepper, once he passes his physical. Deadline for draft picks to sign is Thursday afternoon.

last I saw the Twins had signed 19 of their 22 draft picks. Culpepper would make 20 of 22.

Ridiculous. They're getting a subsidy check from MLB. Can't spend that. Have they considered that attendance being down is possibly being tied to frustration with ownership.
Regarding the "subsidy check from MLB," I don't think they will spend that until they actually have it. Lots of details to be worked out in terms of the amount. Several other teams were impacted much worse than the Twins.

For all we know the dough might only cover a modest middle reliever.

As it turned out financially, this year the still got a good hunk in rights fees from BSN for this year only. Next season could be impacted much more severely, so taking on substantial additional contracts for 2025+ seems rather unlikely.

Impressive -

Entering Sunday, the Twins were seventh in the majors in runs scored, sixth in OPS+ and fourth in position player WAR, according to FanGraphs.

Buoyed by the rebounds of Pablo López and Ober, the pitchers also lead the majors in fWAR since June 15 and were ninth overall among 30 teams on the season.

Bill "Space Man" Lee's aunt, Annabelle "Lefty" Lee, pitched a perfect game for the Minneapolis Millerettes at Kenosha on this date in 1944.

Millerettes leadoff hitter Helen Callaghan had four hits, two RBI, and two runs scored. Her son, Casey Candaele, played in the majors in the 1980s and '90s.

It's puzzling how they can be this bad at P.R. Why invite criticism? Just say, "We're currently looking at all the ways we can improve the team without damaging the future of the organization." You're not obligated to tell the media and public that you're not spending a dime.
This. Terry Ryan would just say "we tried and tried and no trades were the right fit." The public crying poor in advance just looks terrible.

Joe and Jim Pohlad have dug themselves into a really deep hole.

to be clear - I believe that the Pohlads have the right to run their business as they see fit. I do not believe that they somehow 'owe it to the fans' to lose money on the operation of the Twins.

but - I do think they owe the fans an honest and open explanation of what they are doing and why.

because of the Pohlad's own PR mistakes, they are now in a situation where anything they do will be criticized.

the one way out is - I believe - the one way they will not take, because the other owners would never let them - and that is to open their books. lay it out for the public to see exactly the total revenue and expenses for each season and the operating profit or loss. then at least they would have a factual basis on which to make their argument. (assuming that the figures match what the Pohlads have been saying)
There's no chance they will do that or MLB will let them. And frankly, if they did, they would just be accused of making the #'s up so there's no point.

according to a press release from Diamond, the games will now be available on the Xfinity "Ultimate" TV package.

so if you did not already subscribe to the Ultimate package - and you want to watch the Twins on Comcast, you will have to pay Comcast another (I believe) $20 a month for the privilege.

Comcast won. they get to move Bally and other RSN's to a higher-priced tier.

initial media reports are not including or down-playing that rather important piece of information.

For those that like to follow the trades at the deadline, I think this website does a pretty good job of posting trades and trade talks all in one place.

It's an easy place to get caught up with all the dealings.

I am offering a going out of business sale on my streaming offer. Although I am in Minnesota so it means I can’t use mlb.tv.

according to a press release from Diamond, the games will now be available on the Xfinity "Ultimate" TV package.

so if you did not already subscribe to the Ultimate package - and you want to watch the Twins on Comcast, you will have to pay Comcast another (I believe) $20 a month for the privilege.

Comcast won. they get to move Bally and other RSN's to a higher-priced tier.

initial media reports are not including or down-playing that rather important piece of information.

Is Alex Kirilloff in witness protection? Guy went from unhurt and demoted, to hurt and on the IL, to maybe never being seen or spoken about again.

Is Alex Kirilloff in witness protection? Guy went from unhurt and demoted, to hurt and on the IL, to maybe never being seen or spoken about again.
It wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up getting released in the off season after he gets off the IL. At some point, he’s blocking younger, healthier options.

Update on him from the Twins App (the bolded portion isn’t good) -

1B/OF Alex Kirilloff (back issues)
Expected return:
TBD
Kirilloff's worsening soreness and pain in his lower back and associated nerve issues down his leg ultimately sent him to the IL instead of an optional assignment to Triple-A St. Paul.

Kirilloff underwent an MRI exam on May 26 and had initially been playing through the unspecified back issues, with the Twins treating it as one of the dings that most players play through without issue as part of a long season. However, manager Rocco Baldelli and Kirilloff said on June 18 that the player had not fully communicated the extent of the worsening injury.

Kirilloff said he was confident the issue would not require surgery but will not know more until getting a second opinion. (Last updated: June 18)

Top Bottom