All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

It wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up getting released in the off season after he gets off the IL. At some point, he’s blocking younger, healthier options.

Update on him from the Twins App (the bolded portion isn’t good) -

1B/OF Alex Kirilloff (back issues)
Expected return:
TBD
Kirilloff's worsening soreness and pain in his lower back and associated nerve issues down his leg ultimately sent him to the IL instead of an optional assignment to Triple-A St. Paul.

Kirilloff underwent an MRI exam on May 26 and had initially been playing through the unspecified back issues, with the Twins treating it as one of the dings that most players play through without issue as part of a long season. However, manager Rocco Baldelli and Kirilloff said on June 18 that the player had not fully communicated the extent of the worsening injury.

Kirilloff said he was confident the issue would not require surgery but will not know more until getting a second opinion. (Last updated: June 18)
That's the last "official" mention of him anywhere that I found as well. Nothing for almost 6 weeks? Twins just fed up with him?

Gotta wonder if tonights game might make the chances a little greater that we bring in a starter.
Hope we don't overreach. Losing Steer and CES to the Reds for nothing still stings.

Calling up Randy Dobnak is just like making a trade-Terry Ryan.

Dave Boswell one-hit the Orioles at Met Stadium on this date in 1966.

Here's the complete list of Twins/Senators pitchers with 9 IP, 10+ Ks, allowing 1 or 0 hits:

• Walter Johnson 9/25/1910
• Walter Johnson 7/1/1920
• Walter Johnson 5/23/1924
• Dave Boswell 7/30/1966
• Dave Goltz 8/23/1977
• Eric Milton 9/11/1999

If you lower the innings pitched criteria to eight, you only add two more names:

• Kenta Maeda 8/18/2020
• Bailey Ober two days ago

IMG_7756.jpegp

They're considering trading Duran? The Twins and the A's are the only teams in MLB that have not made any moves so far.

I know that 99% of Twins fans are already rage-posting about the Twins not making a trade.

well, I will be the still, small voice in the wilderness.

before you can evaluate any trade - or trade proposal - you have to know 2 things
1. what was offered?
2. what was the price?

I'd like to see the Twins add a starting pitcher - but not if the price is too high.

for Kikuchi, Toronto got the Astros' #3 and #21 prospects and a current major-leaguer who was their #2 prospect going into the season. for the Twins, that would equate to Brooks Lee, Emmanuel Rodriguez and Yunior Severino.

I'm not giving up Lee and Rodriguez for a rental pitcher. No freakin' way.

I know that 99% of Twins fans are already rage-posting about the Twins not making a trade.

well, I will be the still, small voice in the wilderness.

before you can evaluate any trade - or trade proposal - you have to know 2 things
1. what was offered?
2. what was the price?

I'd like to see the Twins add a starting pitcher - but not if the price is too high.

for Kikuchi, Toronto got the Astros' #3 and #21 prospects and a current major-leaguer who was their #2 prospect going into the season. for the Twins, that would equate to Brooks Lee, Emmanuel Rodriguez and Yunior Severino.

I'm not giving up Lee and Rodriguez for a rental pitcher. No freakin' way.
That price for Kikuchi was way too much, IMO. That's comparable to what Baltimore paid for a full season of Corbin Burnes.

Any longtime fan of the Twins has heard multiple variations of “cheap Pohlads” hundreds of times, often with good reason. For decades, the Twins were known throughout baseball as spendthrifts. Former GM Terry Ryan took pride in not spending his entire budget each offseason. The Twins constantly referred to themselves as a small-market team, despite being in a firmly mid-size media market. By the way, the Pohlads are roughly baseball’s 10th-richest owners.
Reusse has mentioned a theory a couple of times in various podcasts, while prefacing that it is not based on any direct knowledge what so ever of the Pohlad portfolio:

The Pohlads are heavily invested in Commercial Real Estate. In general that type of investment/business has taken major hits in the past 5 years. It's possible that type of red ink is influencing the budget for the Twins.

Dobnak. Crazy move already covered.
giphy.gif

Dobnak. Crazy move already covered.
Hate to tell you guys, but Gleeman when asked about everyone’s favorite Uber driver earlier this year, said he expected Dobber to pitch for us at some point this year.

He’s got playoff experience 😎, are you guys 🥜🌰 in not wanting him to be the veteran starter added to the rotation?

Last edited:

The little bit I've seen online is that Houston fans are pissed.
The more I think about it, the Twins could have just easily waited to after the trade deadline and used the excuse that teams were wanting way too much for these trades. A below average rental pitcher cost way too much. I think people would still be frustrated if they do nothing, but it's for a better reason than just because of money. No matter how legit that excuse is, fans don't want to hear it.

The more I think about it, the Twins could have just easily waited to after the trade deadline and used the excuse that teams were wanting way too much for these trades. A below average rental pitcher cost way too much. I think people would still be frustrated if they do nothing, but it's for a better reason than just because of money. No matter how legit that excuse is, fans don't want to hear it.
I’d rather have someone be upfront about it, vs. lying on the backend.

I feel like the top need was starting pitching. Word everywhere is that SP's are being offered at crazy prices. As much as I hate no moves being made, I think most of us would be irate if they overspent on anything that was rumored to be available. Not a fan of the Twins FO, but this seems to be a decent move.

I feel like the top need was starting pitching. Word everywhere is that SP's are being offered at crazy prices. As much as I hate no moves being made, I think most of us would be irate if they overspent on anything that was rumored to be available. Not a fan of the Twins FO, but this seems to be a decent move.
Trevor. Bauer.

Trevor. Bauer.
I think it's a fine idea. And I'd love to be in the building the first time the timid manager shuffled out to the mound to try and take Bauer out of the game because the spreadsheet told him to. Rocco would likely receive a double bird and a Stone Cold Stunner for his trouble.

That's the last "official" mention of him anywhere that I found as well. Nothing for almost 6 weeks? Twins just fed up with him?
I think he’s either worn out his welcome or is at the precipice.

He’s 26 (will be 27 before next season) and has a career .248 BA w/.721 OPs and a 0.2 WAR (-0.5) this year. I don’t think that’s worth $1.35M - I’d rather see someone else get his ABs moving forward.

He missed his 🪟

Cleveland, with a now older stadium, uncertainty with their TV deal and perpetual penny-pinching ownership is managing to add players that they think can help them win a pennant. Good for them.

I think it's a fine idea. And I'd love to be in the building the first time the timid manager shuffled out to the mound to try and take Bauer out of the game because the spreadsheet told him to. Rocco would likely receive a double bird and a Stone Cold Stunner for his trouble.
There's zero chance of it happening.

Cleveland, with a now older stadium, uncertainty with their TV deal and perpetual penny-pinching ownership is managing to add players that they think can help them win a pennant. Good for them.
Their payroll was about 25 million less than the Twins at the beginning of the season. They're still not at the payroll level of the Twins even with the moves.

Top Bottom