All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

His 48 walks and 1.455 WHIP are concerning.
From my post, which you responded to -

“His stats are skewed by his control issues.”
If they don't make a move at the deadline, then he'd be ok as a 5th starter replacement I guess. The comments suggested they would think about bringing him in just until the deadline. Seems weird to me to bring him in for just 2 starts.
He may be the Paddock’s replacement on the cheap, or if he’s just a fill in until another starter is acquired, then you also have him as a replacement if any of those five starters go on the IL in the second half - which wouldn’t surprise me.

I’d rather have him in the rotation than depending on possibly two rookies, SWR and/or Varland/Feista making starts in August/September, if another starter besides Paddock goes on the IL (who isn’t SWR} - it’s a plan for a worst case scenario contingency.

Last edited:

From my post, which you responded to -

“His stats are skewed by his control issues.”

He may be the Paddock’s replacement on the cheap- if he’s just a fill in until another starter is acquired, then you have him as a replacement if any of those five go on the IL in the second half - which wouldn’t surprise me.

I’d rather have him in the rotation than depending on possibly two rookies, SWR and/or Varland/Feista making starts in August/September, if another starter besides Paddock goes on the IL (who isn’t SWR} -planning for a worst case scenario contingency.
I know, I was posting the specific "control issues" numbers. It's pretty bad.

So if they acquire another starter and the other guys stay healthy, what do you do with him? Stash him in the bullpen? He may not want that. And I wouldn't want to use up one of the spots for him either.

Just my opinion of course.

I know, I was posting the specific "control issues" numbers. It's pretty bad.

So if they acquire another starter and the other guys stay healthy, what do you do with him? Stash him in the bullpen? He may not want that. And I wouldn't want to use up one of the spots for him either.

Just my opinion of course.
Bullpen as another lefty or stash him on the IL. He may not have a ton of options either and playing beats watching.

I’m assuming that his role is discussed and understood by all parties before he signs.

We’ve got another win tonight and some credit is due to the excellent baseball chat today on GH - them good waves are more powerful than cheesesteaks or Phantics.

Right there along with Fred "Bonehead" Merkle. Aside from his blunder, Fred was actually a decent player.

While Merkle does not have a plaque, I do recall there being a rather interesting exhibit about his famous blunder which happened in 1908 when he was just a kid at 19 yrs old. He wound up playing until 1926.

let's be accurate. it's the "Merkle boner." that is how the play was described in the papers at the time - when the word 'boner' meant a silly mistake, not an erect body part. for non-historians, Fred Merkle of the NY Giants was in a game against the Cubs. Merkle was a base-runner at 1st base. the batter lined a ball into the outfield for what appeared to be the game-winning hit. but when fans began to run onto the field, Merkle left the baseline and ran into the dugout, so he never touched 2nd base. the Cubs eventually found the baseball amid the melee and tagged 2nd base for a force-out, meaning that the runner from 3rd didn't officially score. the game was replayed after a protest - the Giants lost and eventually lost the Pennant to the Cubs.

one of the other plays of that ilk in the early years of baseball is the "Snodgrass muff." Fred Snodgrass of the NY Giants dropped a fly ball in the 1912 World Series, allowing Boston to come from behind and win the Series.

let's be accurate. it's the "Merkle boner." that is how the play was described in the papers at the time - when the word 'boner' meant a silly mistake, not an erect body part. for non-historians, Fred Merkle of the NY Giants was in a game against the Cubs. Merkle was a base-runner at 1st base. the batter lined a ball into the outfield for what appeared to be the game-winning hit. but when fans began to run onto the field, Merkle left the baseline and ran into the dugout, so he never touched 2nd base. the Cubs eventually found the baseball amid the melee and tagged 2nd base for a force-out, meaning that the runner from 3rd didn't officially score. the game was replayed after a protest - the Giants lost and eventually lost the Pennant to the Cubs.

one of the other plays of that ilk in the early years of baseball is the "Snodgrass muff." Fred Snodgrass of the NY Giants dropped a fly ball in the 1912 World Series, allowing Boston to come from behind and win the Series.
I was completely accurate. His nickname going forward following the incident was indeed "Bonehead".

The incident itself which you have described in further detail was termed the "Merkle Boner". Both are correct.

Google that at your own risk though.

I wonder how long until Elly wins an MVP?

A 30-30 season? That’s cool. Going 40-40? A pretty rare feat indeed.

But how about 80-80-80?

Elly De La Cruz finds himself in that club all by himself.

The Reds’ star shortstop has recorded 84 stolen bases, 80 extra-base hits and 83 walks through his first 198 big league games. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, no other player in the Modern Era (since 1900) has put up 80 steals, 80 extra-base hits and 80 walks through their first 200 MLB games.

One team executed- the other team didn't. Tomorrow is another day.

Having said that, I do not like using the closer in non-save situations. That's where having Brock Stewart would really help.

Needed to make it happen in the bottom of the 8th. It was there for the taking. Aaron Nola vs. ??? tomorrow hurts the optimism.

apparently Festa is being called up and will follow Okert on Wednesday.

so a bullpen game. If I had to guess, I would say that they don't want to start Festa against the Phillies, so they'll let Okert go a couple of innings and then bring Festa in, and hope to get at least 3 or 4 innings out of him. after that, your guess is as good as mine. Staumont, maybe Sands?

root for Detroit.

Help me out everyone--have bullpen games always been a thing? When did they start gaining prominence? Coming up as a fan through the '80s and '90s, I don't ever recall such a thing--and then I admittedly have tailed in and out through the years of closely following the game, especially on the national level. I try not to be Grumpy Old Man about it all and maybe it makes good sense rather than rolling out a tomato can, but just another change in the game that has caught me by surprise.

Having said that, I do not like using the closer in non-save situations. That's where having Brock Stewart would really help.
So you just leave your best reliever on the bench because there won’t be a “save situation”?

Help me out everyone--have bullpen games always been a thing? When did they start gaining prominence? Coming up as a fan through the '80s and '90s, I don't ever recall such a thing--and then I admittedly have tailed in and out through the years of closely following the game, especially on the national level. I try not to be Grumpy Old Man about it all and maybe it makes good sense rather than rolling out a tomato can, but just another change in the game that has caught me by surprise.
I first recall Tampa doing bullpen games maybe 10 years ago.

Twins scout Joe Cambria signed a hard-hitting 22-year-old Cuban kid named Tony Oliva on this date in 1961.

apparently Festa is being called up and will follow Okert on Wednesday.

so a bullpen game. If I had to guess, I would say that they don't want to start Festa against the Phillies, so they'll let Okert go a couple of innings and then bring Festa in, and hope to get at least 3 or 4 innings out of him. after that, your guess is as good as mine. Staumont, maybe Sands?

root for Detroit.
I suppose it makes sense to start a lefty against Schwarber and Harper, and like you mentioned don't make Festa face those guys to start.

Brohm made an excellent play on Jeffers’ chopper at third, if that gets past him, we lead 2 or 3 - 0 going into the 9th.

We’ve played them toe to toe, even without having three of our best hitting regulars (Royce, Miranda & Correra).

Fun to watch Sim pitch - he is a craftsman. I’d rather watch him than a flamethrower.
Having said that, I do not like using the closer in non-save situations.
Why?
That's where having Brock Stewart would really help.
Who would you have pitched last night instead of Duran (that’s presently on the roster)?

Last edited:

Bunch of roster movement. Stewart activated. Castillo DFA to make room. Festa up, Henriquez down. Miranda sent to STP on a rehab assignment.
Apparently, he’s not a 👻, I was wondering (although, if he steps on Target Field, this year, I’ll be shocked. He and Canterino should be a pool, who pitches for the Twins first)

RHP Justin Topa (left patellar tendinitis)
Expected return:
Possibly August
Topa began a rehab assignment with Single-A Fort Myers on July 23. An MRI of Topa's left knee revealed a 25% torn left patellar tendon after soreness flared during his initial rehab assignment with Triple-A St. Paul on May 5. After a second opinion from a doctor, Topa received a platelet-rich plasma injection in the knee with the hope it would allow him to avoid surgery, leading to a six-week shutdown.
"After a couple weeks, I started some new movement stuff -- trying to get the range of motion back. I started to do some weight lifts and workouts and stuff like that,” Topa said. “It was definitely a different feeling than the first time -- a lot better. So it’s one of those things where it kind of fluctuates each day, but you introduce new stuff early on, introduce some new movements and stuff -- different variations of squatting, stuff like that -- to see how it reacted, see if it lingered. But it’s been feeling really good up to this point.”
Topa began the season on the IL due to soreness and inflammation related to left knee tendinitis that had lingered throughout 2023. (Last updated: July 23)

So you just leave your best reliever on the bench because there won’t be a “save situation”?

I could be dead wrong - and I have not done a statistical analysis on this - but it's just a gut feeling that closers approach a save situation differently. it's more of a mental thing. they get more wound up and the adrenaline is flowing.

after a quick check on the internets, I can find some evidence on both sides. one study shows relatively no difference for closers in save versus non-save situations. but some other data does show that certain relievers did have a variance in their stats in the two situations.

so I think it's an individual thing, dealing with the mental makeup and approach of that particular pitcher. coupled with the fact that Duran has just not been as sharp this season. his velocity is down, his strikeout rate is down and he's missing spots more often.

with Brock Stewart coming back, at this point, I'd rather see Stewart in that situation and let Duran work in save situations only for a while.

I could be dead wrong - and I have not done a statistical analysis on this - but it's just a gut feeling that closers approach a save situation differently. it's more of a mental thing. they get more wound up and the adrenaline is flowing.

after a quick check on the internets, I can find some evidence on both sides. one study shows relatively no difference for closers in save versus non-save situations. but some other data does show that certain relievers did have a variance in their stats in the two situations.

so I think it's an individual thing, dealing with the mental makeup and approach of that particular pitcher. coupled with the fact that Duran has just not been as sharp this season. his velocity is down, his strikeout rate is down and he's missing spots more often.

with Brock Stewart coming back, at this point, I'd rather see Stewart in that situation and let Duran work in save situations only for a while.
Duran's numbers over his career are very similar in save and non-save situations. In save situations: 2.19 ERA and 0.972 WHIP. In non save it's 2.38 and 1.097.

Top Bottom