All Things 2024-25 Vikings Regular Season Thread

Has the NFC Central ever been this strong? Not just w/records or point differential or anything else, just anecdotally speaking/thinking, there has always been a dog in the division-most often the Lions, certainly the Bucs back in the day, but this is something else. Of course, some team could crumble and stumble, but about a third of the way through the season, it's eye-popping.

The Minnesota Vikings have acquired running back Cam Akers from the Houston Texans in a deal that involves a late-round pick swap, sources told NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.

Houston receives a 2026 conditional sixth-round pick for Akers and a 2026 conditional seventh-round selection, Pelissero adds.

The Minnesota Vikings have acquired running back Cam Akers from the Houston Texans in a deal that involves a late-round pick swap, sources told NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.

Houston receives a 2026 conditional sixth-round pick for Akers and a 2026 conditional seventh-round selection, Pelissero adds.
I guess that means Jones isn't playing.

But a great pick up regardless. I seem to remember he had flashes for us last year and can catch the ball out of the backfield.

I hope this doesn't mean bad news for Jones. I think Jones is a lot bigger key to the Vikings success than anyone thought. I haven't heard an update for a while, maybe he's healthy and this is just a depth addition, who knows. Chandler's not perfect, so maybe this says more about what they think of Chandler than where Jones is health-wise? I guess we'll find out soon enough

I hope this doesn't mean bad news for Jones. I think Jones is a lot bigger key to the Vikings success than anyone thought. I haven't heard an update for a while, maybe he's healthy and this is just a depth addition, who knows. Chandler's not perfect, so maybe this says more about what they think of Chandler than where Jones is health-wise? I guess we'll find out soon enough
I agree, Jones is huge for us. I think they give him time to get healthy. We haven't had a back as versatile as him in my memory.

Maybe Robert Smith, he was a different style but could also catch out of the backfield.

They said Jones was limited in practice but looked good. The quote, experts, think he's playing.

I just think it's depth and coaching staff likes him. They could use a solid 3rd RB because this may not be Jones last injury. Only having Chandler behind him is not enough.

I just think it's depth and coaching staff likes him. They could use a solid 3rd RB because this may not be Jones last injury. Only having Chandler behind him is not enough.
Yeah, I think it's just depth. Myles Gaskin hasn't provided anything.

I’m glad the injury happened now, so they could see Chandler isn’t a featured back, but a good complimentary/change of pace, this is shown clearly in the data in Alec Lewis’ recap of the Jet game in the Athletic-

Let’s begin with Aaron Jones, who is averaging 4.9 yards per carry this season, more than all but six starting NFL running backs. A more insightful data point explaining his impact might be his average yards after contact (3.55 yards), the fourth-best number in the NFL. Think of it this way: Jones has generated nearly triple the amount of rushing yardage after contact than before it, making up for poor blocks and even enhancing the yardage when the rushes have been blocked correctly.

This affects the other facets of Minnesota’s offense. O’Connell can use more deception in his play calling the closer he is to the first-down marker. The offensive line finds itself in more advantageous circumstances because defensive linemen have to play the run. And Darnold can operate almost as if the wind is at his back. It should not surprise then to know that backup running back Ty Chandler, who is averaging only 1.74 yards after contact, could not mimic Jones’ production Sunday after he exited after the first quarter with a hip injury.

Not sure I have a feel for this game with Detroit at all. The most I watched the Lions this year was that shootout against Seattle, and Seattle made the Detroit defense look NOT good. Not having Hutchinson will make it worse yet.

One analyst on one of the gambling shows I watch said that Darnold has quietly been not very good the last couple weeks, but the Vikings have played some pretty good defenses, very good ones, and they are always playing in front, playing conservatively (somewhat). I'd love to know Darnold's numbers in the first half versus the second half of games this year.

Blake Cashman is supposed to be out, but if Pace is 100%, that sure helps. Aaron Jones and Harrison Phillips DNP today? Hockensen and Risner were Limited? We'll see how it all shakes out later in the week!

I'd love to know Darnold's numbers in the first half versus the second half of games this year.
The QB Rating differential is substantial but could definitely be exaggerated by having big leads and getting conservative:

1st Half
Att - 60
Comp - 42
Comp % - 70.0
Yards - 579
TD - 7
Int - 1
QB Rtg - 97

2nd Half
Att - 46
Comp - 31
Comp % - 67.4
Yards - 353
TD - 4
Int - 2
QB Rtg - 27

The QB Rating differential is substantial but could definitely be exaggerated by having big leads and getting conservative:

1st Half
Att - 60
Comp - 42
Comp % - 70.0
Yards - 579
TD - 7
Int - 1
QB Rtg - 97

2nd Half
Att - 46
Comp - 31
Comp % - 67.4
Yards - 353
TD - 4
Int - 2
QB Rtg - 27

Talking about schedules so far, going into Sunday's game against Detroit.

Every defense the Vikings have faced is ranked above even the best defense Detroit has faced, with the Vikings facing 4 teams ranked in the top 11 in Total YPG given up, while Detroit has faced some pretty unimpressive defenses; Detroit has faced 4 of the worst 9 teams in the NFL in YPG allowed.

I think the game is high scoring, I have a little pizza money on the Over (got it at 49.5).

I have two bets on the Bears, so this makes me unbelievably happy to see!

One is on the season win total for the Bears at Under 9.5 wins (I don't see 6 wins left on their schedule honestly).

The other one is a longer shot. Back in June, I took the Bears at 35-1 to lose all Six NFC North division games. Yes, it's a long shot, but even through 6 games, most would still say the Bears are the worst team in the NFC North

Top Bottom