All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I imagine Vikings are going to wait for the Cardinals to make their HC decision

I can't imagine the owners wanting this if their team is the higher seed. They get a larger % of the profit, where in a neutral site game, they are splitting the money or the league is going to take the profit.
The Bengals weren't embarrassed as they lost to the Niners 26 to 21. Having the better regular season record should mean something. Yes the #1 seed gets a bye, but if they get beat the #2 seed should get to have home field for the title game if they make it that far.
I would rather they seed the playoffs by record once it is determined who makes the playoffs than have them move the Championship game to a neutral site.
For the NFC this year that would have gone #1 Phila, #2 SF, #3 Vikings, #4 Dallas, #5 Giants, #6 Seattle and #7 Tampa. In the AFC, #1 KC, #2 Buffalo, #3 Cinci, #4 San Diego (better Conf. Record), #5 Baltimore, #6 Jacksonville then #7 Miami
Actually my understanding is the NFL controls the AFC/NFC Championship games, so the profit is split amongst the league equally, even though the tickets/suites are sold primarily to the Home teams fans. Maybe the Home team gets a bump from parking/concessions.

Also, correct on the 49ers/Bengals SB. Early the 49ers came up with a huge goal line stand. Far from an embarrassing loss.

The games would sell out no matter what. Guaranteed.

Using this year as an example if the Bills/Chiefs had happened in Atlanta, say 30,000 of each fan base made the trip. The winner, no doubt would also have 30,000 fans in Arizona. Even if only 5000 make a double trip, there's plenty of others to take their place.

The neutral site thing is more about sponsorship revenue that can be generated.

Also, wonder if we would get more even championship games with neutral sites?

AFC game was great, but NFC game was a dud. You really should have two great games. And should be played on ideal field conditions.

This is what you still would get for each seed, with the conf championship game neutral:

#1 - BYE and guaranteed home in Divisional
#2 - guaranteed home in Divisional
#3/#4 (division winners) - guaranteed home in Wild Card
#5-7 - you got in, always a fighter's chance

That's still good enough to me. Better field conditions, 50/50 fan split, both teams have to travel. I think it's a good idea overall.

Also, wonder if we would get more even championship games with neutral sites?

AFC game was great, but NFC game was a dud. You really should have two great games. And should be played on ideal field conditions.

This is what you still would get for each seed, with the conf championship game neutral:

#1 - BYE and guaranteed home in Divisional
#2 - guaranteed home in Divisional
#3/#4 (division winners) - guaranteed home in Wild Card
#5-7 - you got in, always a fighter's chance

That's still good enough to me. Better field conditions, 50/50 fan split, both teams have to travel. I think it's a good idea overall.
I think Minnesota's central location, sizeable airport and hotel space would make it prime for hosting these.

As for closer games, maybe. While recently the SBs have been pretty competitive, there have been stretches where the games are also a dud on neutral fields with ideal playing surfaces.

With Purdy's hurt elbow, it was going to be a dud no matter what, regardless of location (IMO).

Vic Fangio gets hired as the new Dolphins DC. Pretty good get for Miami

It sounds like Brian Flores and Sean Payton are two of the primary finalists for the HC job in Arizona, with Payton spending like 7 hours at the Cardinals facility last Thursday (?) and was seen leaving in the same car with Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill.

If somehow the Cardinals manage to land Payton, it would seem that things COULD domino to Flores landing with the Vikings as their new DC; between Flores and Sean Desai, I'd have to say I would prefer Desai for his experience with DB's.

I would think most of this shakes out this next week, stay tuned!!
Supposedly the Cardinals are now interviewing the Bengals DC, so that would seem to indicate they're not getting Payton. He seems to be pulling a Harbaugh. I think he will sit out another year.

Supposedly the Cardinals are now interviewing the Bengals DC, so that would seem to indicate they're not getting Payton. He seems to be pulling a Harbaugh. I think he will sit out another year.

If anything, I suspect it's just the Cardinals making some weak, futile effort to show Payton they DO have other options, he doesn't have them over a barrel. I thought I saw something on a Cardinals site last week that essentially implied that the ball was now in the Cardinals court; whether that means the Cardinals have to decide if they are going to pay Payton what he wants and/or whether or not the Cardinals are willing to give up the draft capital the Saints want, I have no idea.

Cardinals have the #3 overall pick this year, by all accounts that pick has to be 100% off the table for any deal. The Cardinals would be dumb to give that one up, I guess it depends on how bad they want him.

This is an important hire for the Cardinals organization. After swinging and missing on Wilks and KK, it would be devastating to f'k up this HC hire. I like the GM they hired, guy from SW Minnesota in Monti Ossenfort, they need to take their time with this hire.

Early speculation, but there could really be some dominos falling in relation to the Brock Purdy injury.

Tommy John surgery?
Go back to Lance or Garopplo?
Brady or Rodgers swoop back into their hometown?

Early speculation, but there could really be some dominos falling in relation to the Brock Purdy injury.

Tommy John surgery?
Go back to Lance or Garopplo?
Brady or Rodgers swoop back into their hometown?
Cousins and Hunter for Tray Lance, Ward and a 2nd round pick.

Does that work out in terms of salary cap?
For the Vikings. Not sure what the Niners cap space is, but they would move on from Jimmy G, so I think it would be close. Hunter and Nick Bosa on the same line would be a nightmare.

If Packers traded Rodgers on or after 6/1, they’d “only” have $16M dead cap in 2023 and $25M dead cap in 2024, while saving $16M on what would’ve been a $32M cap hit in 2023.

Doesn’t that mean then that the Niners have to pay him a gajillion dollars?

Can Rodgers say “ah you know what, screw that old contract, I’ll sign a much cheaper one just to play with you”? Is that allowed by the rules?

The NFL has told its 32 teams that the 2023 salary cap will be a record $224.8 million, a source confirmed to ESPN.

This marks an increase of $16.6 million from the 2022 salary cap, which was $208.2 million.

If Packers traded Rodgers on or after 6/1, they’d “only” have $16M dead cap in 2023 and $25M dead cap in 2024, while saving $16M on what would’ve been a $32M cap hit in 2023.

Doesn’t that mean then that the Niners have to pay him a gajillion dollars?

Can Rodgers say “ah you know what, screw that old contract, I’ll sign a much cheaper one just to play with you”? Is that allowed by the rules?
No. The Niners would only have to pay him what his contract calls for which is still a massive amount. He can take a pay cut in theory, but he won't. And the player's union would have a fit if he did.

Cousins and Hunter for Tray Lance, Ward and a 2nd round pick.

The 49ers personnel guy that the Titans just hired as GM (Ron Carthon?) was heavily involved in drafting Trey Lance, or so I had heard.

Considering the Titans situation at QB, if the Titans don't show any interest at all in Trey Lance, that should tell anyone and everyone what they need to know about Trey Lance and his future.

Lance has started 23 games of football since High School. And what we've seen so far is less than impressive. If Kyle Shanahan couldn't make him look better, or even AS GOOD as Brock Purdy, holy shit....

Trey Lance isn't going anywhere. I would expect an open competition next fall for 49ers QB with Purdy and Lance.

The 49ers personnel guy that the Titans just hired as GM (Ron Carthon?) was heavily involved in drafting Trey Lance, or so I had heard.

Considering the Titans situation at QB, if the Titans don't show any interest at all in Trey Lance, that should tell anyone and everyone what they need to know about Trey Lance and his future.

Lance has started 23 games of football since High School. And what we've seen so far is less than impressive. If Kyle Shanahan couldn't make him look better, or even AS GOOD as Brock Purdy, holy shit....

Trey Lance isn't going anywhere. I would expect an open competition next fall for 49ers QB with Purdy and Lance.
I'm not really big on Lance, but he's no more of a crapshoot than whatever QB you would take with the 15th pick in 2024. If it's true that Purdy needs Tommy John surgery, he's not an option for 2023. The 49ers are a QB away from a Super Bowl. I'll be shocked if they don't make a move for someone. Brady, Rodgers, Carr. Why not Cousins?

No. The Niners would only have to pay him what his contract calls for which is still a massive amount. He can take a pay cut in theory, but he won't. And the player's union would have a fit if he did.
If the difference is "SF can't afford me, so they won't even take me" vs "if I voluntarily agree to take a pay cut, they can take me and I want to go there and get out of GB" ... I can't possibly see how that isn't his call to make.

If the difference is "SF can't afford me, so they won't even take me" vs "if I voluntarily agree to take a pay cut, they can take me and I want to go there and get out of GB" ... I can't possibly see how that isn't his call to make.
GB would need to release Rodgers as he has more than 4 years in the league. His contract is effectively terminated, save for any guaranteed money he is still owed. He is then free to sign with whomever he wants for whatever he wants- could be vet minimum. But according to SB Nation (link below), he will account for $99mil in cap space if cut, to be assigned to ‘23 entirely or split between ‘23 and ‘24.

FWIW, Rodgers does NOT have a no-trade clause.

If the Packers cut Aaron Rodgers he will count towards $99M of the cap in 2023. If they chose to split that it would be $31M in 2023 and then $68.2M in 2024. Cutting Rodgers would doom Green Bay for damn near a decade and destroy the organization.

It will not happen.

https://en.as.com/nfl/nfl-whats-the...iving-cutting-and-releasing-n/?outputType=amp

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2022/1...ers-contract-packers-cut-trade-retirement-nfl

Last edited:

GB would need to release Rodgers as he has more than 4 years in the league. His contract is effectively terminated, save for any guaranteed money he is still owed. He is then free to sign with whomever he wants for whatever he wants- could be vet minimum. But according to SB Nation (link below), he will account for $99mil in cap space if cut, to be assigned to ‘23 entirely or split between ‘23 and ‘24.

FWIW, Rodgers does NOT have a no-trade clause.

https://en.as.com/nfl/nfl-whats-the...iving-cutting-and-releasing-n/?outputType=amp

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2022/1...ers-contract-packers-cut-trade-retirement-nfl
So there is no such thing as:

- trade a player to another team
- that player then says to the new team "go ahead and tear up that contract, I voluntarily give it up and waive my rights to whatever I'm afford in it, and I'd like to start from scratch with a new contract"

Has that never been attempted before?

I don't see how it can be determined one way or another on Lance. He's only 22 years old currently, 4 NFL starts. 2 as a rookie after not playing for a year, 2 this year and 1 was in a driving rain storm at Soldier the other he got hurt.

As for comparing him to Purdy, he played 48 games at Iowa St...more than double than Lance and primarily against Big 12 competition as opposed to FCS. Plus he's a year older. No wonder he was more advanced than Lance, regardless of draft status. Additionally, Purdy had McCaffrey as a weapon, while he was still in Carolina when Lance saw action.

The games would sell out no matter what. Guaranteed.

Using this year as an example if the Bills/Chiefs had happened in Atlanta, say 30,000 of each fan base made the trip. The winner, no doubt would also have 30,000 fans in Arizona. Even if only 5000 make a double trip, there's plenty of others to take their place.

The neutral site thing is more about sponsorship revenue that can be generated.

Despite it being panned it comes down to money. I think it's better than 50/50 it happens. Minneapolis could be hosting the AFC Championship.

Not mentioned here, but brought up on the Dan Patrick Show, is the possibility of one of the Championship games being moved to Monday night. More eyeballs in prime time. With a week off before the SB, minimized competitive disadvantage.

I could easily see that happening too.

Utter domination is the goal of the NFL. Always.
I hope the naive rube (me) is right in this instance. If revenue was an issue, then I can digest it, otherwise I’m the bird regurgitating to their young. The NFL/owners have plenty of money.

I hope the naive rube (me) is right in this instance. If revenue was an issue, then I can digest it, otherwise I’m the bird regurgitating to their young. The NFL/owners have plenty of money.
I hope you are right as well. They do have plenty of money, but that does not stop them from wanting even more.

My opposition to it is neutral games seem more sterile. Maybe these would be different than the SB or College Football Championship where more than half seem to have no rooting interest, but I am skeptical.

Plus the Homefield carrot puts much more meaning on the regular season.

For the Vikings though, they have only hosted 1 NFC Championship since 1977. Had to go on the road 5 times. All Ls. Perhaps it could help, sort of a silver lining.

I hope you are right as well. They do have plenty of money, but that does not stop them from wanting even more.
At the risk of nitpicking.... It's not always as simple as "the owners have plenty of money". For a vast majority of the owners (if I'm not mistaken), their NFL franchise is a business of theirs, often one of a number of other businesses they own. There's a difference between an owner having plenty of money and their NFL franchise has plenty of money. The NFL franchise for various owners most definitely have widely varying levels of profit, revenue, etc

At least this is how it was explained on a podcast I heard not long ago. Sure, the owners are not hurting by any stretch, but it's important to make the distinction between the owners money and the franchise's money, for whatever that's worth.

My opposition to it is neutral games seem more sterile. Maybe these would be different than the SB or College Football Championship where more than half seem to have no rooting interest, but I am skeptical.

For the Vikings though, they have only hosted 1 NFC Championship since 1977. Had to go on the road 5 times. All Ls. Perhaps it could help, sort of a silver lining.
The Rule of Minnesota Sports guarantees that the year after they put the Championship games at a neutral site, the Vikings will secure the #1 seed.

I don't see how it can be determined one way or another on Lance. He's only 22 years old currently, 4 NFL starts. 2 as a rookie after not playing for a year, 2 this year and 1 was in a driving rain storm at Soldier the other he got hurt.

As for comparing him to Purdy, he played 48 games at Iowa St...more than double than Lance and primarily against Big 12 competition as opposed to FCS. Plus he's a year older. No wonder he was more advanced than Lance, regardless of draft status. Additionally, Purdy had McCaffrey as a weapon, while he was still in Carolina when Lance saw action.
If Shanahan had given up on him, he wouldn't have started this season week 1, and there's no way they saw enough to be out on him after 2 games. But they are in a win now window which is why they might be open to moving him.

The Rule of Minnesota Sports guarantees that the year after they put the Championship games at a neutral site, the Vikings will secure the #1 seed.
Even more Minnesotan would be to lose in the Divisional round anyway.

Lance's value is as an "athlete." If you have the size, speed and athletic ability, it's up to the team and coaches to refine that ability. when Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts came out of college, there were questions about their throwing ability and accuracy. they got better.

I'm not saying Lance is going to be Allen or Hurts - but with the right coaching, he can certainly improve. Hey, I saw the guy play HS basketball several times. he bleepin' glides when he runs - it looks effortless. I'd take a flyer on him.

(looked it up - Allen's QB rating his first two years 49.8 & 49.4)

Texans hire DeMeco Ryan (good hire IMO.)

Broncos are trading for Sean Payton and burning another 1st round pick. Good hire but yikes. I think they might be open to trading a defender or two for some picks.

The SB is a sterile crowd/environment? That's a new one!

Well obviously it does.

Why should such an important game have that, though?

Why should a game like that be played in KC, or Buffalo, or Green Bay, in possibly bad field conditions, in a relatively small market, in the cold?

You still get a BYE as #1 seed, which no other team gets. Plenty good enough, in my opinion.

Top Bottom