All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I'm going to go out on a limb and venture that there is NOBODY in the organization that thinks winning 13 games and winning the NFC North title in KOC and KAM's first season in Minnesota is "all for nothing".

This is some seriously f'd up mentality
Was , season is over now. Also fired the DC after first year, and who knows how many defensive coaches will be retained by the new DC.

So, what was accomplished, then? As opposed to a season with 10 wins and no NFC North "trophy"? Will the 2022 North trophy be displayed in the case?

I can't imagine the owners wanting this if their team is the higher seed. They get a larger % of the profit, where in a neutral site game, they are splitting the money or the league is going to take the profit.
The Bengals weren't embarrassed as they lost to the Niners 26 to 21. Having the better regular season record should mean something. Yes the #1 seed gets a bye, but if they get beat the #2 seed should get to have home field for the title game if they make it that far.
I would rather they seed the playoffs by record once it is determined who makes the playoffs than have them move the Championship game to a neutral site.
For the NFC this year that would have gone #1 Phila, #2 SF, #3 Vikings, #4 Dallas, #5 Giants, #6 Seattle and #7 Tampa. In the AFC, #1 KC, #2 Buffalo, #3 Cinci, #4 San Diego (better Conf. Record), #5 Baltimore, #6 Jacksonville then #7 Miami
You have solid logic here, and yet, shouldn't almost the exact same logic apply to the Super Bowl? Why not have it at the home of the "best" team (determined by metrics that are no more arbitrary than determining the top seed in each conference)?

You have solid logic here, and yet, shouldn't almost the exact same logic apply to the Super Bowl? Why not have it at the home of the "best" team (determined by metrics that are no more arbitrary than determining the top seed in each conference)?
The Super Bowl has always been at a Neutral site so no, the same logic doesn’t apply.

Was , season is over now. Also fired the DC after first year, and who knows how many defensive coaches will be retained by the new DC.

So, what was accomplished, then? As opposed to a season with 10 wins and no NFC North "trophy"? Will the 2022 North trophy be displayed in the case?

The first goal of every team in the NFL for every season is to win their division, and then the goals elevate higher and higher to the SB.

It's literally the first goal of EVERY team in the NFL, every season; to win their division.

• at Philadelphia Eagles
  • vs. San Francisco 49ers
  • vs. Kansas City Chiefs
  • at Cincinnati Bengals
They were going to have to play the 49ers & Chiefs anyway, just as all NFC North teams have to face in 2023. Drawing Philly is tough, but Detroit has to play Dallas and Green Bay has to play the NY Giants (all teams the Vikings also lost to) so that difference is negligible.

So it comes down to 1 tougher game, Cincinnati in theory, when comparing the Top 3 in the NFC North.

Keep in mind on paper, it looked like drawing the NFC East in 2022 was favorable, given how bad that division overall the past 2 seasons. Turned out 3 of the 4 (Eagles, Cowboys & Giants) were still playing on Division Playoff weekend. Last place Commandos just missed qualifying for the playoffs.

If the NFC North had drawn the NFC South this year, Vikes would have had decent chance to attain the #1 Seed.

In other words, things change.

I think they put up banner at least "2022 NFC North Champions" in lieu of a trophy.

They were going to have to play the 49ers & Chiefs anyway, just as all NFC North teams have to face in 2023. Drawing Philly is tough, but Detroit has to play Dallas and Green Bay has to play the NY Giants (all teams the Vikings also lost to) so that difference is negligible.

So the NFL system of matching-up schedules is just for show and virtually meaningless. Wonder if the author of that link knew?

So it comes down to 1 tougher game, Cincinnati in theory, when comparing the Top 3 in the NFC North.

Keep in mind on paper, it looked like drawing the NFC East in 2022 was favorable, given how bad that division overall the past 2 seasons. Turned out 3 of the 4 (Eagles, Cowboys & Giants) were still playing on Division Playoff weekend. Last place Commandos just missed qualifying for the playoffs.

If the NFC North had drawn the NFC South this year, Vikes would have had decent chance to attain the #1 Seed.

Pretty much this. The NFL changes significantly year to year. There are always teams that go first to worse and vice versa every season. Last season the NFC west was the best division with the Super Bowl champs, this season the Rams and Cardinals were terrible and Seattle was mediocre. Two years ago the NFC east was a laughing stock and this year they were the best division in football.

There's no use getting worked up about the schedule until we actually know who's good, which we wont know until halfway through next season.

So the NFL system of matching-up schedules is just for show and virtually meaningless. Wonder if the author of that link knew?
I wouldn't say "virtually meaninglessness", but the headline "winning the NFC North created a Nightmare schedule" is overstated.

Even 1 game can be significant in terms of overall seed, winning the division or even making the playoffs. It will be more challenging, just not insurmountable.

It's not like it used to be in terms of scheduling, when finishing 1st (or last) had a greater impact.

Last edited:

I wouldn't say "virtually meaninglessness", but the headline "winning the NFC North created a Nightmare schedule" is overstated.

Even 1 game can be significant in terms of overall seed, winning the division or even making the playoffs. It will be more challenging, just not insurmountable.

It's not like it used to be in terms of scheduling, when finishing 1st (or last) had a greater impact.

A misleading headline? Shocking.;)

Future AFC & NFC Conference Championship Games at neutral sites?

This idea sucks.

But usually, money wins.
They’ve already shown they don’t care by taking away home games and moving them overseas.

• at Philadelphia Eagles
  • vs. San Francisco 49ers
  • vs. Kansas City Chiefs
  • at Cincinnati Bengals
Meh. Everyone in the division plays the Chiefs. And playing the Bengals and Eagles vs the Cowboys and Ravens isn't that huge a difference. I guess the Packers will benefit from the 3rd place schedule a bit.

Future AFC & NFC Conference Championship Games at neutral sites?

This idea sucks.

But usually, money wins.
Dumb. Fans aren't going to travel for that and then travel again for the Super Bowl.

Dumb. Fans aren't going to travel for that and then travel again for the Super Bowl.
I’m wondering if this was a trial balloon to gauge what fans’ reactions were.

This has been universally panned and would be surprised if it comes to fruition.

Meh. Everyone in the division plays the Chiefs. And playing the Bengals and Eagles vs the Cowboys and Ravens isn't that huge a difference. I guess the Packers will benefit from the 3rd place schedule a bit.

Meh. Ope3 said virtually the same thing in #186. Minus the Packers part.

A misleading headline? Shocking.;)

Nordo! I35 I’ll be there in 90 minutes - can I meet the real diamond jo? Rap show!

The first goal of every team in the NFL for every season is to win their division, and then the goals elevate higher and higher to the SB.

It's literally the first goal of EVERY team in the NFL, every season; to win their division.
I don't buy this, because winning the division doesn't get you anything.

If you win the first playoff game, because you hosted, then I agree. It meant something to win the division.

We lost ours, at home. So I disagree that winning the division was meaningful this year.

They were going to have to play the 49ers & Chiefs anyway

I don't think this is correct? According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_NFL_season#Regular_season the NFC North plays all four teams in the NFC South and AFC West, in 2023.

The divisions we match-up with by position for one game are then the NFC East, NFC West, and AFC North.

So, the Eagles, 49ers, and Cincy. You're correct about KC.

With Cincy and the AFC North, because playing the Ravens or Steelers wouldn't necessarily be easier (I think most can agree).

With the NFC West, playing Seattle (yet again!!) would definitely be easier than the 49ers. The NFC East was also all really tough this year. Not sure how fans would feel about getting another crack at the Cowboys, maybe in Dallas to boot.

Fans aren't going to travel for that and then travel again for the Super Bowl.
Interesting gut feel.

You think the NFL has absolutely no idea who the (ultra rich and ultra die-hard) folks are who travel to the Super Bowl?

Interesting gut feel.

You think the NFL has absolutely no idea who the (ultra rich and ultra die-hard) folks are who travel to the Super Bowl?
Of course they know that. I guess they think they will travel twice. I don't think most will. The only way it could work is to hold both Championship games and Super Bowl all in the same place and eliminate the week in between and hope people will stay the whole time.

I don't think this is correct? According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_NFL_season#Regular_season the NFC North plays all four teams in the NFC South and AFC West, in 2023.

The divisions we match-up with by position for one game are then the NFC East, NFC West, and AFC North.

So, the Eagles, 49ers, and Cincy. You're correct about KC.

With Cincy and the AFC North, because playing the Ravens or Steelers wouldn't necessarily be easier (I think most can agree).

With the NFC West, playing Seattle (yet again!!) would definitely be easier than the 49ers. The NFC East was also all really tough this year. Not sure how fans would feel about getting another crack at the Cowboys, maybe in Dallas to boot.
You're right, my bad. I misread the schedule on a different site, so it's a 2 game difference instead of 1.

I will say playing Seattle wouldn't be a treat either. They were a Playoff team and are going to be fortified with Denver's #1.

The games would sell out no matter what. Guaranteed.

Using this year as an example if the Bills/Chiefs had happened in Atlanta, say 30,000 of each fan base made the trip. The winner, no doubt would also have 30,000 fans in Arizona. Even if only 5000 make a double trip, there's plenty of others to take their place.

The neutral site thing is more about sponsorship revenue that can be generated.

I’m wondering if this was a trial balloon to gauge what fans’ reactions were.

This has been universally panned and would be surprised if it comes to fruition.

Despite it being panned it comes down to money. I think it's better than 50/50 it happens. Minneapolis could be hosting the AFC Championship.

Not mentioned here, but brought up on the Dan Patrick Show, is the possibility of one of the Championship games being moved to Monday night. More eyeballs in prime time. With a week off before the SB, minimized competitive disadvantage.

I could easily see that happening too.

Utter domination is the goal of the NFL. Always.

Vic Fangio gets hired as the new Dolphins DC. Pretty good get for Miami

It sounds like Brian Flores and Sean Payton are two of the primary finalists for the HC job in Arizona, with Payton spending like 7 hours at the Cardinals facility last Thursday (?) and was seen leaving in the same car with Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill.

If somehow the Cardinals manage to land Payton, it would seem that things COULD domino to Flores landing with the Vikings as their new DC; between Flores and Sean Desai, I'd have to say I would prefer Desai for his experience with DB's.

I would think most of this shakes out this next week, stay tuned!!

Vic Fangio gets hired as the new Dolphins DC. Pretty good get for Miami

It sounds like Brian Flores and Sean Payton are two of the primary finalists for the HC job in Arizona, with Payton spending like 7 hours at the Cardinals facility last Thursday (?) and was seen leaving in the same car with Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill.

If somehow the Cardinals manage to land Payton, it would seem that things COULD domino to Flores landing with the Vikings as their new DC; between Flores and Sean Desai, I'd have to say I would prefer Desai for his experience with DB's.

I would think most of this shakes out this next week, stay tuned!!
I read an article, can't remember where, where it stated that Arizona has to hire payton to dodge a lawsuit from Flores. Flores has already sued two other franchises for an illigimate interview process. Cards would need to hire payton to dodge that because of paytons HC career. Interesting, even though it might not be true

You're right, my bad. I misread the schedule on a different site, so it's a 2 game difference instead of 1.

I will say playing Seattle wouldn't be a treat either. They were a Playoff team and are going to be fortified with Denver's #1.
And #2. And #3.

Holy shit, talk about a Win-Win for the Dallas Cowboys; they managed to KEEP Dan Quinn as their DC (I thought he would have been GREAT as an HC for Arizona, or several other teams) and they LOSE their OC Kellen Moore, who's been fooling people for a few years into thinking he can call an NFL game. Moore is a perfect example of how there's a HUGE difference between calling plays and actually strategizing and game-planning how to win each week in and week out.

I was really hoping the opposite would happen; Quinn would leave Dallas and Moore would stay. Oh well....

Holy shit, talk about a Win-Win for the Dallas Cowboys; they managed to KEEP Dan Quinn as their DC (I thought he would have been GREAT as an HC for Arizona, or several other teams) and they LOSE their OC Kellen Moore, who's been fooling people for a few years into thinking he can call an NFL game. Moore is a perfect example of how there's a HUGE difference between calling plays and actually strategizing and game-planning how to win each week in and week out.

I was really hoping the opposite would happen; Quinn would leave Dallas and Moore would stay. Oh well....
Kellen Moore, like Jason Garrett before him, is one of those guys that people thought was good because we were told he was good.

Top Bottom