All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

The Vikings won like 2 games by more than one score last year. They had almost no "garbage time" period. You're wrong.
Didn't say garbage time, nice try dude.

I said the sacks themselves were "garbage", meaning they didn't affect the outcome of the game.

Didn't say garbage time, nice try dude.

I said the sacks themselves were "garbage", meaning they didn't affect the outcome of the game.
Any sack that occurs in a one score game effects the outcome. You're wrong. This is a dumb argument.

Don't get me wrong, Hunter and Hunter's agent are doing everything they possibly can to prop up 10.5 sacks as if that's why the Viking won 13 games.

Like each sack is worth $2M.

Nope!

Getting out of Hunter's contract and his constant issues is valuable in of itself??

Defense can't get worse, from a team that won 13 games!!!
I'm not ruling out the possibility that indeed, the defense could get worse, especially in the short term.

Fewer turnovers forced, more points allowed. That could happen. Hopefully it's not likely.

Mark it dude:

in parallel universes, the Vikings in 2023 do just as well in terms of W-L with Wonnum as they do with Hunter, all other players the same.

Mark it dude:

in parallel universes, the Vikings in 2023 do just as well in terms of W-L with Wonnum as they do with Hunter, all other players the same.
So you whine like a baby at drafting a wr, because they didn't draft defense.

Now, you want to get rid of their best defender.

Let me take some drugs, and think on it.

Considering that Hunter is unwilling to report to camp with a contract that was front loaded with a bulk of his salary, whining about only being paid $5.1M for this season is the worst excuse he could possibly use.

On top of that, he was paid every dollar of his deal by the Vikes for all of the games he missed due to injury. I'd rather move him now than re-sign him to another big deal based on his injury history.

If there is a trade available for Lance and a 2nd Round Pick, we'd be crazy not to do it and I'm not even sold on Trey being a long-term solution at QB.

Considering that Hunter is unwilling to report to camp with a contract that was front loaded with a bulk of his salary, whining about only being paid $5.1M for this season is the worst excuse he could possibly use.

On top of that, he was paid every dollar of his deal by the Vikes for all of the games he missed due to injury. I'd rather move him now than re-sign him to another big deal based on his injury history.

If there is a trade available for Lance and a 2nd Round Pick, we'd be crazy not to do it and I'm not even sold on Trey being a long-term solution at QB.
Trade him for something other than Trey.

the real question is this:

what is the front-office's short-term plan and what is the long-term plan?

is the front office willing to take a small step back to position the team for the future - or are they willing to take a major step back (and possibly position themselves to draft the QB of the Future in '24).

without knowing that, we're reduced to judging moves in a vacuum, because we don't know how those moves fit into the short-term or long-term plans.

of course, all that assumes that there is a plan.........................

is the front office willing to take a small step back to position the team for the future - or are they willing to take a major step back (and possibly position themselves to draft the QB of the Future in '24).

without knowing that, we're reduced to judging moves in a vacuum, because we don't know how those moves fit into the short-term or long-term plans.

"Competitive rebuild".

The defense in 2023 cannot be worse than the defense in 2022.

The offense in 2023 I think will be a bit better, possibly significantly better, than the offense in 2022.

2022 team won 13 games because of offense, and in spite of defense.

.................. this isn't rocket science ....

The defense in 2023 cannot be worse than the defense in 2022.

The offense in 2023 I think will be a bit better, possibly significantly better, than the offense in 2022.

2022 team won 13 games because of offense, and in spite of defense.

.................. this isn't rocket science ....
How could the offense be significantly better?

How could the offense be significantly better?
QB - Kirk, same, but he could try to not take so many horrible sacks
OL - same guys, but can play significantly better especially in pass pro
RB - we will have a committee approach that works very well for other teams, and a better commitment to the run, so over an improvement over Cook
WR - Jefferson and Osborn are the same, Addison first round pick we will see if better than Thielen, and Nailor cannot be held down possible sleeper
TE - Hock is the same, and added Oliver for big improvement in blocking

More running game overall can be a help to the passing game meat and potatoes.

Extended Hammer and brought in Oliver for blocking help.

QB - Kirk, same, but he could try to not take so many horrible sacks
OL - same guys, but can play significantly better especially in pass pro
RB - we will have a committee approach that works very well for other teams, and a better commitment to the run, so over an improvement over Cook
WR - Jefferson and Osborn are the same, Addison first round pick we will see if better than Thielen, and Nailor cannot be held down possible sleeper
TE - Hock is the same, and added Oliver for big improvement in blocking

More running game overall can be a help to the passing game meat and potatoes.

Extended Hammer and brought in Oliver for blocking help.
So everything is basically the same, but we could be significantly better.

Got it.

Mark it dude:

You think the Vikings will have the same or better record next year? I'd take the under with or without Hunter.

As far as the rest of your point, it'd be absolutely impossible to control for that. We won't be the same team next year, it's already too late.

You think the Vikings will have the same or better record next year? I'd take the under with or without Hunter.

As far as the rest of your point, it'd be absolutely impossible to control for that. We won't be the same team next year, it's already too late.
With Gophers_4life being on the restricted list this thread loses a lot of traffic. Plus the Vikings are in the short time frame where hardly anything is going on.

Sucks the Twins have not taken advantage of the short time they essentially have the spotlight to themselves.

Don Hudson.

I can never tell when you're joking or not.

So I don't know if the "Hudson" is deliberate or just a typo.

BTW, Don Hutson (with a t) was a great WR for the Packers. when he retired, he held NFL records for career receptions, yards and TD's.

and here's a fun fact:

Hutson was the youngest receiver in NFL history, at the age of 23 during the 1936 season, to lead the league in both receptions and receiving yards during a single season. The mark was not broken for 87 years until 2023, when Minnesota Vikings receiver Justin Jefferson surpassed it.[27]

Top Bottom