All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Assume that's a veteran minimum signing.
A "moneyball" type signing, and defacto the replacement for Duke Shelley?

Be interesting to see which one does better, but I assume we could've just re-signed Duke for reasonably cheap? I guess having a year in the system doesn't matter when you're bringing in a new DC.

And trade Hunter for a first.
What, what?? You lost me there.

You let Hunter put his hand in the dirt and rush the QB, try to affect the outcome of the game.

(You don't do some BS of having him in a 2-point stance. You don't do some BS having him "cover" people. You don't do some BS of calling him an "outside linebacker".)

What, what?? You lost me there.

You let Hunter put his hand in the dirt and rush the QB, try to affect the outcome of the game.

(You don't do some BS of having him in a 2-point stance. You don't do some BS having him "cover" people. You don't do some BS of calling him an "outside linebacker".)
It's wasting his talent to some degree putting him in 3-4, he's not getting any younger and I don't trust him to stay healthy. If they can get a 1st round pick for him, I take it and run.

A "moneyball" type signing, and defacto the replacement for Duke Shelley?

Be interesting to see which one does better, but I assume we could've just re-signed Duke for reasonably cheap? I guess having a year in the system doesn't matter when you're bringing in a new DC.
Yes. Basically. I'd rather have Duke. He got barely more than the minimum from the Raiders.

It's wasting his talent to some degree putting him in 3-4, he's not getting any younger and I don't trust him to stay healthy. If they can get a 1st round pick for him, I take it and run.
OK.

Well, at least your argument is reasonable, even if I don't agree with it.

We're not going to be some rigid 3-4 thing. It's going to be way more complex and multiple than that. Probably some nuance chance each week.

Perfectly reasonable to have Hunter lining up wide, with hand in dirt, and that still be part of the system. We'll see what they actually do.

OK.

Well, at least your argument is reasonable, even if I don't agree with it.

We're not going to be some rigid 3-4 thing. It's going to be way more complex and multiple than that. Probably some nuance chance each week.

Perfectly reasonable to have Hunter lining up wide, with hand in dirt, and that still be part of the system. We'll see what they actually do.
Flores will hopefully be more creative/flexible than Donatell, but if they do that every down, it's not a 3-4 anymore. Hunter is best used as a true DE in a 4-3 defense. He's almost 30 and he wants a massive new contract. That doesn't make sense for the Vikings to do now that they're keeping the 3-4 defense.

Well I think he (Flores) has said that he's a "3-4 guy" in name only, or something like that. But anyway, we'll see.

We can't afford to give him anything crazy right now, so let's see what he does this year. As is, I doubt anyone gives up a 1st rounder for an almost 30 year old who has had some bad injuries and then did OK last year.

Well I think he (Flores) has said that he's a "3-4 guy" in name only, or something like that. But anyway, we'll see.

We can't afford to give him anything crazy right now, so let's see what he does this year. As is, I doubt anyone gives up a 1st rounder for an almost 30 year old who has had some bad injuries and then did OK last year.
We can't wait and see. He will hold out if he doesn't get a new contract. He's not at their OTA today and he won't show up for training camp under his current deal. Therefore, trade him.

Flores will hopefully be more creative/flexible than Donatell, but if they do that every down, it's not a 3-4 anymore. Hunter is best used as a true DE in a 4-3 defense. He's almost 30 and he wants a massive new contract. That doesn't make sense for the Vikings to do now that they're keeping the 3-4 defense.
Has a contract, doesn't want to report, not a good sign as he isn't proving what kind of shape he is in etc. to justify a new contract.

Has a contract, doesn't want to report, not a good sign as he isn't proving what kind of shape he is in etc. to justify a new contract.
And got free money for basically two years while being hurt. You just have to feel for this guy. I'm kind of tired of him.

We can't wait and see. He will hold out if he doesn't get a new contract. He's not at their OTA today and he won't show up for training camp under his current deal. Therefore, trade him.
Ah, OK. I didn’t realize he was holding out. In that case, I think you’re right. But doubt a first rounder is coming.

Ah, OK. I didn’t realize he was holding out. In that case, I think you’re right. But doubt a first rounder is coming.

at this point Hunter is not 'holding out.' this is not a mandatory workout. under the CBA, players are not required to show up until the mandatory minicamp. But, a lot of players have clauses in their contracts where they get a little bonus if they show up for off-season workouts, so that's why most players are taking part in this week's workouts - for the money.

back to my original point - it's not a holdout unless Hunter fails to show up for minicamp or the start of training camp. so we have roughly 4 months before the shite hits the fan.

at this point Hunter is not 'holding out.' this is not a mandatory workout. under the CBA, players are not required to show up until the mandatory minicamp. But, a lot of players have clauses in their contracts where they get a little bonus if they show up for off-season workouts, so that's why most players are taking part in this week's workouts - for the money.

back to my original point - it's not a holdout unless Hunter fails to show up for minicamp or the start of training camp. so we have roughly 4 months before the shite hits the fan.
It's not technically a hold out yet. But there's zero chance he's going to play for $4.5 million base salary this year.

My understanding is that Hunter is essentially untradable this offseason, the cap hit would actually be worse if the Vikings traded him than if they kept him and sat him on the bench. I'm probably butchering that to some extent but the reality is, from what I gather, he's not going to get traded.

They'll re-work his deal at some point and he'll be fine, at least I'm guessing. He had a relatively good year I think, it wouldn't be the worst money they ever spent.

Dalvin's better days are behind him, and I'm happy if they move on from him. But they also don't beat the Bills or the Colts last season without him.
That's not possible to prove. Maybe another RB makes the same big play. Maybe not. Maybe another RB makes a different playnto win the game or is more consistent making good plays.

That's not possible to prove. Maybe another RB makes the same big play. Maybe not. Maybe another RB makes a different playnto win the game or is more consistent making good plays.
Both of those games are butterfly flapping its wings outcomes. Change anything at all and they probably lose.

Harrison Smith explains why he took pay cut to stay with Vikings​

Yes, Harrison Smith definitely considered leaving the Vikings this offseason for Cincinnati or one of the other suitors believed to have had interest in the six-time Pro Bowl safety had the salary cap-strapped Vikings been forced to release him.

"I thought about it for sure," he said Tuesday. "It's human nature. I think about other things and other places. So, yeah."

But, in the end, however, Smith said, "it felt right to stay." Even when staying meant taking a pay cut from $14.7 million to $8 million with $2 million in incentives.

Smith said there wasn't one particular reason he stayed but did add that playing for and learning from new defensive coordinator Brian Flores was "honestly a big draw in staying here."

Vikings coach Kevin O'Connell fired Ed Donatell, last year's defensive coordinator, after one season in which the defense played softer schemes than O'Connell, the players — and the fans — would have liked. With the offseason program starting this week and more players beginning to speak publicly, it's becoming clear that hiring the ultra-aggressive Flores was a popular move in the locker room.

"I like his mentality," Smith said. "I like, just the first few days, how he kind of relays information and how he thinks about things."

Skol Vikes!!

Per Shama:

Vikings QB Process: No Need to Panic

There is endless speculation about when and how the Vikings will find their next quarterback to replace 34-year-old Kirk Cousins. No need to overthink the process.

The Vikings are highly likely to find their guy sometime in the next 12 months or so. They may acquire a quarterback via trade or free agency within that period. Of course, next week’s NFL Draft will be an opportunity, too, and so will the 2024 draft.

To find a coveted prospect in the opening round of the 2023 draft, the Vikings will have to move up from their No. 23 position in the first round. While that could happen, chances are more likely the Vikings will move down from No. 23, trading that selection to acquire more picks in draft. Minnesota has just two draft spots in the top 100 and only five total in the seven round draft that starts April 27 and continues through April 29.

GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, head coach Kevin O’Connell and others in the organization have spent a lot of time looking at quarterback prospects who will be in the draft, including those who will go in the later rounds. While Minnesota has been linked to likely first rounders Will Levis (Kentucky) and Hendon Hooker (Tennessee), the Vikings seem more likely to end up with second or third round quarterbacks. Possibilities could include Tanner McKee (Stanford) and Dorian Thompson-Robinson (UCLA), prospects the Vikings could develop during the coming season and not rush into game action.

Skol Vikes!!

Per Shama:

Vikings QB Process: No Need to Panic

There is endless speculation about when and how the Vikings will find their next quarterback to replace 34-year-old Kirk Cousins. No need to overthink the process.

The Vikings are highly likely to find their guy sometime in the next 12 months or so. They may acquire a quarterback via trade or free agency within that period. Of course, next week’s NFL Draft will be an opportunity, too, and so will the 2024 draft.

To find a coveted prospect in the opening round of the 2023 draft, the Vikings will have to move up from their No. 23 position in the first round. While that could happen, chances are more likely the Vikings will move down from No. 23, trading that selection to acquire more picks in draft. Minnesota has just two draft spots in the top 100 and only five total in the seven round draft that starts April 27 and continues through April 29.

GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, head coach Kevin O’Connell and others in the organization have spent a lot of time looking at quarterback prospects who will be in the draft, including those who will go in the later rounds. While Minnesota has been linked to likely first rounders Will Levis (Kentucky) and Hendon Hooker (Tennessee), the Vikings seem more likely to end up with second or third round quarterbacks. Possibilities could include Tanner McKee (Stanford) and Dorian Thompson-Robinson (UCLA), prospects the Vikings could develop during the coming season and not rush into game action.

Skol Vikes!!

I think after Bryce Young goes #1, all the rest of the QBs fall further than everyone thinks, even CJ Stroud. I doubt Houston takes a QB at #2 if they can't get Bryce Young. Indy should be making a play for Lamar Jackson if they had any brains at all.

The top 10 picks in this draft are going to be entertaining, no doubt about it. If he's there in the late 2nd or early 3rd round, Tanner McKee interests me as a possible QB target. I think there's Zero chance the Vikings draft a QB in the 1st round. Hendon Hooker in the 1st round, as Shama mentions above, is laughable.

I think after Bryce Young goes #1, all the rest of the QBs fall further than everyone thinks, even CJ Stroud. I doubt Houston takes a QB at #2 if they can't get Bryce Young. Indy should be making a play for Lamar Jackson if they had any brains at all.

The top 10 picks in this draft are going to be entertaining, no doubt about it. If he's there in the late 2nd or early 3rd round, Tanner McKee interests me as a possible QB target. I think there's Zero chance the Vikings draft a QB in the 1st round. Hendon Hooker in the 1st round, as Shama mentions above, is laughable.
I have a rule - no QBs under 6'2. No way I'm taking Bryce Young #1

Any love for Thompson- Robinson?

I saw him play a bit and he resembled a mobile athletic QB

I have a rule - no QBs under 6'2. No way I'm taking Bryce Young #1

This will be an interesting case, no doubt. Apparently EVERYTHING else about Young is just off the charts. If he were 6-2, the Bears never would have traded the pick and would have cut bait on Fields.

But other than the height, from what I've heard, the accuracy, arm talent, leadership, work ethic, football IQ are just plain off the charts. The height would concern me too. I will say it's more palatable in today's game than it was just a decade or two ago.

Hey, I'm pulling for Young too because as it turns out, I happened to get Young at what I think were the longest odds possible for him to be the #1 overall pick; I got him at +350 about 6 weeks ago. Early on, Young was the favorite to be #1, then it shifted to Stroud for a number of weeks there because of the height, etc but now it's swung pretty hard as Young as the strong favorite.

twitter buzz today that the 49ers are listening to trade offers for Lance.

if the Vikes had more picks available, I would be interested in seeing if they could pick up Lance for a 2nd or 3rd-round pick. but given the lack of picks and the number of holes to fill, that's probably not going to happen.

Hey, I'm biased. I watched him play in HS. but if nothing else, I think Lance would make a lot better backup QB than some of the stiffs the Vikes have rolled out in recent years.

No Ohio State QBs should be Rule 2. None have ever done anything in the NFL.

Yes, I'm counting the Bears current QB.

That seems a little close minded as Ryan Day has only been HC at Ohio St since 2019, and part of the staff since 2017.

Before Day's arrival they at least identified and had Joe Burrow as a Buckeye from 2015-17 before he went to LSU.

Top Bottom