All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Per Shooter:

>> The Vikings spent more money this offseason than was expected considering that wide receiver Justin Jefferson’s new contract is expected to be worth more than $150 million over five years. Outside of a half-dozen quarterbacks who drive the NFL, Jefferson might be the most popular player in the league right now. Look for Jefferson to get his new deal this summer, probably just before training camp.

>> For a long time, the Vikings overpaid for Kirk Cousins, a mid-level QB who probably ranks between 10th and 15th in the NFL. It turns out that his average salary of $35 million the last two years, in retrospect, probably wasn’t a bad deal considering what QBs going forward will be paid.

>> Extending Cousins, if he plays as well as last season, probably would cost nearly $45 million a year. Consider that Daniel Jones just got a new deal worth $82 million over the first two years from the Giants. No doubt Cousins’ agent was seeking nearly $90 million in a two-year extension, which was prohibitive for the Vikings but could actually be market value for Cousins.

It looks like the Vikings are setting up to move on from Cousins after next season.

>> If the Vikings were to trade Danielle Hunter — the team’s most tradable asset, by the way — and can convince Za’Darius Smith to stay, the two outside pass rushers in the 3-4 defense would be Smith and new Viking Marcus Davenport.

Trading Hunter before the start of the April 27 draft, combined with the 23rd overall pick, might allow the Vikings to move up to take a QB in the first round. The young QB could sit on the bench next season and in 2024 take over as starter. That way, the Vikings would have freed themselves of the money they pay Kirk Cousins and need to pay Justin Jefferson. Otherwise, the Vikings have to wait until 2024 to draft a QB.

The Vikings have to either to keep Hunter and pay him a boatload (north of $20 million a year) or trade Smith.

>> The Vikings, currently with the No. 23 overall pick in the draft, are favorites to pick QB Hendon Hooker from Tennessee, per BetOnline.ag.

>> It’s just a matter of time before the Vikings trade Dalvin Cook.

Skol Vikes!!

Per Shooter:

>> The Vikings spent more money this offseason than was expected considering that wide receiver Justin Jefferson’s new contract is expected to be worth more than $150 million over five years. Outside of a half-dozen quarterbacks who drive the NFL, Jefferson might be the most popular player in the league right now. Look for Jefferson to get his new deal this summer, probably just before training camp.

>> For a long time, the Vikings overpaid for Kirk Cousins, a mid-level QB who probably ranks between 10th and 15th in the NFL. It turns out that his average salary of $35 million the last two years, in retrospect, probably wasn’t a bad deal considering what QBs going forward will be paid.

>> Extending Cousins, if he plays as well as last season, probably would cost nearly $45 million a year. Consider that Daniel Jones just got a new deal worth $82 million over the first two years from the Giants. No doubt Cousins’ agent was seeking nearly $90 million in a two-year extension, which was prohibitive for the Vikings but could actually be market value for Cousins.

It looks like the Vikings are setting up to move on from Cousins after next season.

>> If the Vikings were to trade Danielle Hunter — the team’s most tradable asset, by the way — and can convince Za’Darius Smith to stay, the two outside pass rushers in the 3-4 defense would be Smith and new Viking Marcus Davenport.

Trading Hunter before the start of the April 27 draft, combined with the 23rd overall pick, might allow the Vikings to move up to take a QB in the first round. The young QB could sit on the bench next season and in 2024 take over as starter. That way, the Vikings would have freed themselves of the money they pay Kirk Cousins and need to pay Justin Jefferson. Otherwise, the Vikings have to wait until 2024 to draft a QB.

The Vikings have to either to keep Hunter and pay him a boatload (north of $20 million a year) or trade Smith.

>> The Vikings, currently with the No. 23 overall pick in the draft, are favorites to pick QB Hendon Hooker from Tennessee, per BetOnline.ag.

>> It’s just a matter of time before the Vikings trade Dalvin Cook.

Skol Vikes!!
Would think if they trade Hunter, it will be to a contending team, so they would get a pick in the 20's. Does 23, first rounder, and next years first get them to a QB they want?

Would think if they trade Hunter, it will be to a contending team, so they would get a pick in the 20's. Does 23, first rounder, and next years first get them to a QB they want?

I don't think they would have to move up very far to get Levis or Richardson, honestly. And I hope they don't draft either one. Richardson won't go in the top 10, and Levis may not either.

I don't think they would have to move up very far to get Levis or Richardson, honestly. And I hope they don't draft either one. Richardson won't go in the top 10, and Levis may not either.
Lots of fake rumors out there right now. Good point

Lots of fake rumors out there right now. Good point

Malik Willis was mocked last year in most mock drafts to be drafted in the top 10, in some of them as high as #3. He got drafted in the middle of the 3rd round. I'm not saying Richardson is falling that far, but he's got 1 year of starting tape (I think?) and some unimpressive statistics. I seriously doubt Richardson goes in the top 10. Will Levis also has some serious holes in his game, one of the more predominant comparisons I've seen is MVP Mitch Trubisky.

I wouldn't bet the farm on Houston automatically drafting a QB at #2. If the Panthers take Bryce Young, as they should, I would not assume Houston is taking CJ Stroud, or any other QB. That new regime has time to play the long game, be players in next year's stronger QB draft.

I got Bryce Young 4-6 weeks ago at a whopping +350 to be the first pick in the draft.

If Jalen Carter doesn't go in the top 3-5 picks, that means teams didn't like what they found when they dug deeper, and he'll slip into the teens. If his background, sans the recent misstep, comes back pretty clean, he could still go #2 overall.

Malik Willis was mocked last year in most mock drafts to be drafted in the top 10, in some of them as high as #3. He got drafted in the middle of the 3rd round. I'm not saying Richardson is falling that far, but he's got 1 year of starting tape (I think?) and some unimpressive statistics. I seriously doubt Richardson goes in the top 10. Will Levis also has some serious holes in his game, one of the more predominant comparisons I've seen is MVP Mitch Trubisky.

I wouldn't bet the farm on Houston automatically drafting a QB at #2. If the Panthers take Bryce Young, as they should, I would not assume Houston is taking CJ Stroud, or any other QB. That new regime has time to play the long game, be players in next year's stronger QB draft.

I got Bryce Young 4-6 weeks ago at a whopping +350 to be the first pick in the draft.

If Jalen Carter doesn't go in the top 3-5 picks, that means teams didn't like what they found when they dug deeper, and he'll slip into the teens. If his background, sans the recent misstep, comes back pretty clean, he could still go #2 overall.
Right. Like how Hooker went from a third rounder to a top QB in a week. 25 and torn ACL, SMH

Right. Like how Hooker went from a third rounder to a top QB in a week. 25 and torn ACL, SMH
You guys make good points about Levis and Richardson and I didn't realize Hooker was already 25. Kiper said he was no better than a 3rd Round pick but I'd be surprised if he fell out of the 2nd.

My pipedream is Joey Porter Jr slipping to 23 but that's not happening.

How is any theory proven? Watch and see if it works. In this case, yes, that would require the team to actually trade him — which is unlikely, I'd say. So we'll probably never know how any version of that might have played out.

If the team doesn't trade him, the people in charge (unlike the folks here) will have to have an actual plan for going forward that involves paying him his money and somehow improving those parts of the team that require shoring up. Since it seems likely they will keep (and pay) JJ, it is going to be interesting to see what else happens. How do they improve the defense?

We'll see.
I was asking, what would it take for you to actually declare "well, I was wrong. There it is, it turns out what I thought was not correct".

Here in this post, it indeed seems that if they don't trade him, you won't declare that. You'll instead say "well, they didn't trade him, so we'll never know if I was actually wrong or not".

You guys make good points about Levis and Richardson and I didn't realize Hooker was already 25. Kiper said he was no better than a 3rd Round pick but I'd be surprised if he fell out of the 2nd.

My pipedream is Joey Porter Jr slipping to 23 but that's not happening.
The interesting thing about QB's is how they are viewed by each team. Much like the aforementioned Malik Willis - either you view him as "the guy" or you don't. If you view him as "the guy", you're willing to blow a first rounder on him. If you don't, a second round pick is too valuable to blow on a project that you don't value as a top QB. Third round, however, might be worth it, depending on the upside. Most teams don't keep 3 QB's, either, so it's not as practical to stash a project QB on your roster while you develop him. You really need that project to also be your legitimate backup QB, which further lowers the value of said "project".

If Porter slipped to 23, that would be awesome.

I'm almost hoping Levis doesn't fall to 23 because then we'll be forced to draft him.

Next up for the NFL; going after Michael Bidwill, the owner of the Cardinals and if possible, Mark Davis, owner of the Raiders.

Don't think for a minute that the NFL wouldn't prefer different owners for both of those franchises. And honestly, I would prefer it as well

Next up for the NFL; going after Michael Bidwill, the owner of the Cardinals and if possible, Mark Davis, owner of the Raiders.

Don't think for a minute that the NFL wouldn't prefer different owners for both of those franchises. And honestly, I would prefer it as well
The NFL should want them gone. Daddy Bidwill was terrible, and his son isn't much better.

The NFL wishes the Davis family would've gone away decades ago.

I was asking, what would it take for you to actually declare "well, I was wrong. There it is, it turns out what I thought was not correct".

Here in this post, it indeed seems that if they don't trade him, you won't declare that. You'll instead say "well, they didn't trade him, so we'll never know if I was actually wrong or not".

I'll be dead wrong if this team can find some other way to build a playoff-level roster, including and especially a championship-level defense, without trading major current assets for draft picks .

JJ happens to be the one I would choose to trade.

2022 draft is bordering on disaster:

- 2022 draft ranked 32nd out of 32 teams at this point
- Handed GB a #1 receiver.
- Handed Detroit a potential #1 receiver.

Certainly would help if the 2022 crop actually saw the field this season.

At this point just hope Kwesi/Kevin have treated it as an opportunity to learn and have adjusted their draft processes/strategies accordingly. Believe someone once said doing the same thing over again and expecting different results generally not smart.

Last edited:

Twitter user Rick Sosa is going off on Vikings fans. He going off and telling them off. Vikings fans want them to get rid of Cousins and Rick Sosa is throwing a fit claming they should resign him.

Holy shit. More trouble in the desert for the Arizona Cardinals....

Budda Baker Requests Trade From Cardinals

Baker is essentially one of the best young players on the Cardinals entire roster, one of the most popular players on the team, one of the real leaders on the team. This is really, really bad. Yes, he wants a bigger contract, but this goes way beyond that, no doubt about it.

I'll be dead wrong if this team can find some other way to build a playoff-level roster, including and especially a championship-level defense, without trading major current assets for draft picks .

JJ happens to be the one I would choose to trade.

speaking of trading players for draft picks - something is going to happen with Dalvin Cook and Z'Darius Smith - maybe even Danielle Hunter. but due to NFL cap rules, etc, some of those moves likely will not take place until the Draft or even June 1st.

I cannot imagine Kwesi going through the draft with only 4 or 5 picks. deals will be made.

some of that could hinge on how several younger players or players coming back from injuries look in the team workouts that begin next week. as of now, the Vikes are apparently counting on players like Cine, Booth, Evans and Asamoah to play major roles on defense. if they don't look good in the workouts, that will influence decisions on trades and the draft.

speaking of trading players for draft picks - something is going to happen with Dalvin Cook and Z'Darius Smith - maybe even Danielle Hunter. but due to NFL cap rules, etc, some of those moves likely will not take place until the Draft or even June 1st.

I cannot imagine Kwesi going through the draft with only 4 or 5 picks. deals will be made.

some of that could hinge on how several younger players or players coming back from injuries look in the team workouts that begin next week. as of now, the Vikes are apparently counting on players like Cine, Booth, Evans and Asamoah to play major roles on defense. if they don't look good in the workouts, that will influence decisions on trades and the draft.

Not sure about Z. Smith but the general assumption is that there's a deal in place for Cook to be traded, contingent on the way the draft falls? Regardless, they'll be lucky to get a 5th round pick for Cook, could even be a 6th (I GUESS a 4th rounder is possible but I think it's unlikely). It all helps when they have so few picks this year but they won't get much

Also, regarding workouts; I don't know that many of those guys (Cine, Booth, et al) will be available for workouts? Pretty sure at least Cine and Booth were going to be ready closer to fall camp but I could be wrong.

I guess whoever this Rick Sosa person is, their GH account "gophersfan" will be putting up his tweets on this thread now. Great

Athletic had an article out talking about Cook being traded. Interesting graphic from PFF analysis was included:

GVrVmC0.png

Sadly, they already know.

They know what was keenly apparent to Vikings fans last year. "Why are we handing the ball off to Cook instead of throwing it?? He doesn't do anything!"

That was too commonly said last year.

Top Bottom