All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

The chiefs have nothing to do with the Vikings.
Oh you're right, I forgot about that NFL rule they instated saying that the Chiefs are the only franchise in the league allowed to trade up to draft for a QB!

Forgot about that rule! :ROFLMAO:

Although he is good at moving within the pocket, Penix is an absolute statue, even worse than Cousins.
A statue, like Cousins, means he's not good at moving in the pocket.

How would you compare Penix to say Lamar Jackson? The Ravens look pretty good this year.

Just listened to a fairly brief interview with The Athletic's NFL Draft guru, Dane Brugler on the VSiN's The Lombardi Line (the VSiN channel on YouTube TV is a sports gambling channel, 24/7; tons and tons of really good information, FYI)

More on Penix; he said scouts most of the season had Penix in the 3rd round range, or late second, not a single west scout said 1st round. But his last two games have been very very impressive when the lights were the brightest

Concerns for Penix
- two shoulder injuries
- two knee injuries
- older player
- not strong throwing the ball over the middle of the field
- mechanics aren't perfect, especially lower body
- reaction to pressure inconsistent

Factors to consider with his success;
- played behind the best OL in college football (apparently only sacked 12 times in the last 2 years)
- throwing to one of the best WR corp in college football, Odunze could be a top 10 pick
- an absolutely elite coaching staff and playcalling/OC at Washington
- PAC 12 didn't have a single defense in the Top 50 in college football

On the other side of this upcoming game, JJ McCarthy
- First thing people mention are the intangibles; unflappable, same demeanor all the time, great in the clutch
- Mich doesn't ask him to push the ball down the field, relying on a short, ball control game plan
- one of the best in college football on 3rd down, over 50% conversion when dropping back
- great toolset
- a little lean, could put on more weight

At the end of the day, as with any QB or any player for that matter, it only takes ONE team to fall in love with them. I still think the medicals are going to be a major concern for Penix but there are a lot of stupid Front Offices in the NFL and there are a TON of teams that need QB's this offseason.

Late question on Justin Fields; it's more a financial decision than a football decision, not ready to give him $100M+. If it were him, it's a clean break; trade him for one or two Day 2 picks and draft a QB at #1 this year and move on.

Oh you're right, I forgot about that NFL rule they instated saying that the Chiefs are the only franchise in the league allowed to trade up to draft for a QB!

Forgot about that rule! :ROFLMAO:
Well, why the f--k don't we ever do it?

I've been waiting for this my whole life.

When are we gonna do that?

Just listened to a fairly brief interview with The Athletic's NFL Draft guru, Dane Brugler on the VSiN's The Lombardi Line (the VSiN channel on YouTube TV is a sports gambling channel, 24/7; tons and tons of really good information, FYI)

More on Penix; he said scouts most of the season had Penix in the 3rd round range, or late second, not a single west scout said 1st round. But his last two games have been very very impressive when the lights were the brightest

Concerns for Penix
- two shoulder injuries
- two knee injuries
- older player

- played behind the best OL in college football (apparently only sacked 12 times in the last 2 years)
- throwing to one of the best WR corp in college football, Odunze could be a top 10 pick

- First thing people mention are the intangibles; unflappable, same demeanor all the time, great in the clutch
- Mich doesn't ask him to push the ball down the field, relying on a short, ball control game plan
- one of the best in college football on 3rd down, over 50% conversion when dropping back
- great toolset

At the end of the day, as with any QB or any player for that matter, it only takes ONE team to fall in love with them. I still think the medicals are going to be a major concern for Penix but there are a lot of stupid Front Offices in the NFL and there are a TON of teams that need QB's this offseason.

Late question on Justin Fields; it's more a financial decision than a football decision, not ready to give him $100M+. If it were him, it's a clean break; trade him for one or two Day 2 picks and draft a QB at #1 this year and move on.
I really like penix (and I don't like how my phone auto-corrected to penis, good thing I caught that)

But those are concerning facts about him

Concerns for Penix
- two shoulder injuries
- two knee injuries
- older player

- great toolset

I'm on the JJ McCarthy train. The only thing that I'm unsure of is his arm strength. If in workouts and/or the combine if he can prove it's sufficient, I'm taking him (assuming the top 3 QB's are gone where the Vikes end up). It is a bit hard to tell with him because Michigan doesn't pass that much, doesn't do too many deep shots, etc. that he'll need to prove it on other ways before the draft.

If you adjust Penix's stats for a full season at Indiana, they're not anywhere near his Washington stats. But as you pointed out, the SEC was trying to poach UW's OC with a bunch of money (because he's good), they have a great OL and WR, and the PAC 12 defenses are generally trash. That, plus the fact that for three straight years he couldn't stay healthy would have me passing on him.

Capture44.JPG

Last edited:

I'm on the JJ McCarthy train. The only thing that I'm unsure of is his arm strength. If in workouts and/or the combine if he can prove it's sufficient, I'm taking him (assuming the top 3 QB's are gone where the Vikes end up). It is a bit hard to tell with him because Michigan doesn't pass that much, doesn't do too many deep shots, etc. that he'll need to prove it on other ways before the draft.
He strikes me as a great athlete playing QB and not the converse.

Maybe Michigan doesn’t have him throw it deep because he cannot? Rather they maximize his strengths.

He strikes me as a great athlete playing QB and not the converse.

Maybe Michigan doesn’t have him throw it deep because he cannot? Rather they maximize his strengths.
Could totally be it, don't know. Not pretending to be a great QB analytical mind. Just my eye test. Look at Andrew Luck's stats (who was considered a generational talent at the time) compared to McCarthy's, and they're not that dissimilar. Y/A and AY/A are almost identical, rating is close, TD:INT is close, completion % is close. The only thing McCarthy is lacking was TD's and much lower attempts, and that could just be because they had Corum eating up a lot of TD's and carries, as well as the much tougher B1G defenses compared to the PAC10/12. I think it's just how Harbaugh runs his offense.

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Could totally be it, don't know. Not pretending to be a great QB analytical mind. Just my eye test. Look at Andrew Luck's stats (who was considered a generational talent at the time) compared to McCarthy's, and they're not that dissimilar. Y/A and AY/A are almost identical, rating is close, TD:INT is close, completion % is close. The only thing McCarthy is lacking was TD's and much lower attempts, and that could just be because they had Corum eating up a lot of TD's and carries, as well as the much tougher B1G defenses compared to the PAC10/12. I think it's just how Harbaugh runs his offense.

View attachment 29391
View attachment 29392
Good post and he’ll probably end up an MVP, once again showing the prowess of my football scouting skillz🥴

So if the Vikings let Cousins walk, and pick a qb in the first round, he starts immediately.

Would they then have money to shore up the interior of the offensive line which is getting shoved around for year infinity?

I'd prefer the rookie not have to see the constant pressure up the middle.

For what it's worth:

Damn it...that was my guy. On a positive note, at least it shows the urgency and importance that our FO puts on the QB position which tells me we make a move this year. I stand by my previous prediction that Cousins will get 3/$120M from someone. Ogee might even get to watch him in LV next season

Spaulding mentioned Huntley in a previous post. He'd be the perfect caretaker if we nab a young QB.

For what it's worth:

Ugghhh... Mina Kimes is a f'ng lunatic crazy person.

It could have happened, who knows. I kinda doubt it, but it could have happened. I don't know much about how Richardson fits what KOC wants to do. I wasn't a fan that Richardson only started one season. I like people who have played some football before hitting the NFL

At the end of the day, if the Vikings are taking a QB high (like top 45 picks, and especially if they do in the top 12-15), they had better absolutely LOVE that player across the board; how he fits KOC's offensive plan, his mental makeup, worth ethic, how much he loves the game, and every other intangible. No matter how bad they want or need a QB, if there are QB's available to them, that player had better damn well check every single box.

And it goes without saying, every team's board for QBs is going to be different, based on what kind of offense they are running. Every team in the league will have a different ranking of the draft eligible QB's, 1-5 or whatever.

If there's a QB in this draft that you think checks EVERY single box for you, by all means, do whatever you can to get him. But if the guy that's 4th or 5th on your board is available when they're drafting at 12 or whatever it may be, I struggle with them taking a QB just for the sake of taking a QB.

So today is a perfect day for hall to get another shot. Season is over.

Top Bottom