All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Vikings to start Mullens this week. This makes little sense to me. We really need to see what Hall can do before assessing our choices at QB in the off-season. The concept of going into 2024 with Mullens as our starting QB is terrifying.

Vikings to start Mullens this week. This makes little sense to me. We really need to see what Hall can do before assessing our choices at QB in the off-season. The concept of going into 2024 with Mullens as our starting QB is terrifying.

I really doubt Mullens is being considered the starter next season. Mullens has played some football, he'll be fine for a few games. Sure, I would prefer to see Hall get all the snaps the rest of the way but I understand the reasoning behind naming Mullens the starter.

I really doubt Mullens is being considered the starter next season. Mullens has played some football, he'll be fine for a few games. Sure, I would prefer to see Hall get all the snaps the rest of the way but I understand the reasoning behind naming Mullens the starter.
If there are no plans for Mullens next year other than as a backup, wouldn't it make more sense to see what we have in Hall? It's a long shot, but what if the guy is actually good?

If there are no plans for Mullens next year other than as a backup, wouldn't it make more sense to see what we have in Hall? It's a long shot, but what if the guy is actually good?
Not if the staff thinks Mullens is the best chance to get a playoff berth. It's not like they playing out the string here.

Most optimal would be to clinch a spot, then let Hall play Week 18, though playing for the 6th seed could also have value.

If Hall wasn't even 2nd string last week, they must have more faith in Mullens, for whatever reason.

Most optimal would be to clinch a spot, then let Hall play Week 18, though playing for the 6th seed could also have value.

If Hall wasn't even 2nd string last week, they must have more faith in Mullens, for whatever reason.

I like that idea, if he can get some run down the stretch, mop-up duty, whatever.

I disagree with the second point though, as there has been discussion about this on a few pods I listen to about other teams and QB's. Mullens was the backup because, as a result of his experience, he would be a lot more prepared to come in "cold", no reps during the week, etc.

With someone like Hall, you want him to get starter reps all week before you put him in. Big difference between preparing all week as the starter and sitting on the bench as the backup.

That being said, they had that opportunity this week and didn't take advantage of it; prep Hall as the starter, all the reps all week, etc. Being a short week COULD have had something to do with it, but it appears they think Mullens is at least a LITTLE bit ahead of Hall. I suspect the gap is not that large though.

they will either bring cousins back, or draft a qb in round 1. It won't be Mullens.

I like that idea, if he can get some run down the stretch, mop-up duty, whatever.

I disagree with the second point though, as there has been discussion about this on a few pods I listen to about other teams and QB's. Mullens was the backup because, as a result of his experience, he would be a lot more prepared to come in "cold", no reps during the week, etc.

With someone like Hall, you want him to get starter reps all week before you put him in. Big difference between preparing all week as the starter and sitting on the bench as the backup.

That being said, they had that opportunity this week and didn't take advantage of it; prep Hall as the starter, all the reps all week, etc. Being a short week COULD have had something to do with it, but it appears they think Mullens is at least a LITTLE bit ahead of Hall. I suspect the gap is not that large though.
All that is very plausible. They did say during the game broadcast though that Mullens was given some first team reps last week leading into the Raiders game. Perhaps was the difference in him moving them into FG range on Sunday, who knows.

Last edited:

All that is very plausible. They did say during the game broadcast though that Mullens was given some first team reps last week leading into the Raiders game. Perhaps was the difference in him moving them into FG range on Sunday, who knows.

I actually think Mullens is going to play pretty well over these last 4 games. He's started a fair amount of NFL games, he's had some success here and there, and he's been in this offense for quite a while now. Other than Kirk, nobody knows it better.

Mullens can be Case Keenum.

Good!

Get as many wins as you can. That is the only possible valid expectation and desire for the rest of the season.

Those desiring losses are awful, and don’t deserve to get to watch any Vikings games for the next four years.

Correct

remember how gawd-awful Aidan O'Connell looked against the Vikings last week?

so far tonight, Vegas is beating the Chargers 49-7.

O'Connell is 17 of 28 for 231 yds and 4 TD.

Flores just keeps looking better and better. Even with the lawsuit, you have to think some team is going to offer him a HC job.

--- Update -
with just over 6 minutes left in game, Vegas is up 63-14.
Chargers have lost 5 turnovers (1 INT, 4 Fum)
looks like O'Connell finished with 20 of 34 for 248 yds and 4 TD. backup QB also has a TD pass.

Last edited:

If he genuinely enjoys being a DC … why be a HC?

I guess I’m thinking too much like college. In the NFL you can easily be a coordinator who then just throws on the HC title, but still acts like a coordinator.

Ex-Viking Teddy Bridgewater is retiring after this season. Good for and good luck to him. Don't think anybody thought that he'd last this long in the NFL after that injury.

Lions' Teddy Bridgewater enjoying final season before retiring

Detroit Lions quarterback Teddy Bridgewater is winding down his NFL career, telling the Detroit Free Press he plans to retire after the season.

Bridgewater has been a little-used backup to Jared Goff in his single season with the Lions, appearing in one game to kneel out a victory over the Carolina Panthers in Week 5. But Bridgewater, 31, indicated he has no issues with his role.

"Whatever was meant for me, it played out the exact way it was meant," Bridgewater told the Free Press for a story published Saturday. "And I'm still with that mindset every day, and I'm just really appreciative that I'm in Year 10. I tell everyone this is my last year, so I'm in my final year and I'm just enjoying it all, man."

A first-round pick by the Minnesota Vikings in 2014, Bridgewater's career was derailed by a torn ACL and dislocated knee suffered during training camp in 2016; he missed all of that season and most of 2017 before leaving the Vikings. He spent two seasons with the Saints (2018-19), started 29 games over two seasons for the Carolina Panthers (2020) and Denver Broncos (2021) and served as Tua Tagovailoa's backup with the Miami Dolphinslast season, when he was limited by injuries again..

The 3 big stories of the Viking's season:
- Cousin's injury
- Turnovers
- Defense

Mullens arm strength is average, at best. Not the answer long-term in my opinion. If we lose this one, want to see Hall.

Mullins is like letting the drunk guy drive home at night. Dodging every light pole and mailbox.

Why we throwing at the goalline?

I can't believe the refs threw the flag for offsides and took a great play by Cinci off the board.

With that said a lot of time left with all 3 timeouts

Top Bottom