All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

"I consider Justin day-to-day with a good chance to hopefully be playing with us on Saturday in Cincinnati," O'Connell said.

Jefferson will presumably be limited in practice this week, but it sounds like he has a real chance to not miss any additional time after taking a scary hit against the Raiders. He's undoubtedly going to do everything he can to be available for Saturday's game against the Bengals, who are led by his old LSU teammate Ja'Marr Chase..

O'Connell also confirmed that Brian O'Neill and Alexander Mattison are dealing with ankle injuries, putting their status for Saturday in question. Jalen Nailor is in the concussion protocol..

The announcing pair yesterday were clueless monkeys, so they didn’t even discuss the hit and whether it should have been flagged - outside of giggling something like “welcome back to the lineup, JJ.” Looked like a defenseless receiver penalty to me.

The announcing pair yesterday were clueless monkeys, so they didn’t even discuss the hit and whether it should have been flagged - outside of giggling something like “welcome back to the lineup, JJ.” Looked like a defenseless receiver penalty to me.
I don't see how it's "defenseless" when Jefferson was going for the ball, and actually made the catch. DB led with the shoulder, didn't leave his feet and connected below the head into the back.

No call seems right.

Are people upset at the call or because the flag called back “greatness” as Mahomes is calling it? I also love the “I am not upset about it personally. I am upset about it from a fans perspective. The fans deserve to have that play stand”

So if a flag is not thrown you don’t think Buffalo Bills Twitter is putting screen shots of Toney being lined up and calling the nfl rigged for Kansas City.

What is not to be missed it’s another weekend of nfl football with just some godawful football games and yet all anyone is gonna talk about tomorrow is various nfl games, calls vs non calls, and their fantasy team. nfl gonna nfl and keep printing money.
I agree with what Peyton Manning said on PTI today, essentially if the Offense is offside, just throw the flag and blow the whistle.

No need to continue with the play.

So why are there 2 Monday night games at same time tomorrow?
The Mouse decreed it be so.
Howie is essentially correct.

This is really an in depth article on it, with Disney trying to optimize viewing with multiple games. Tonight is an experiment to see how simultaneous games rate compared to earlier in the season when they were staggered.

Also want to see how it impacts Manning-cast.

I agree with what Peyton Manning said on PTI today, essentially if the Offense is offside, just throw the flag and blow the whistle.

Agreed. They already stop the play on false starts, why not this? They should do the same for illegal formation type infractions.

You could blow it dead. But what if on the play the defense forced a turnover? They’d decline it. There’s no risk to them. Just like when the D is offsides and the offense has essentially a free play.

So I disagree as for years this was never an issue until Mahomes whined like a complete baby.

That would be one way to do it. I could see that rule change for next year. Assuming you do the same thing with an illegal formation too?

Of course the Packers are going to win because the Giants fumble untouched. Playing with a horseshoe firmly up their @ss like always.

You could blow it dead. But what if on the play the defense forced a turnover? They’d decline it. There’s no risk to them. Just like when the D is offsides and the offense has essentially a free play.

So I disagree as for years this was never an issue until Mahomes whined like a complete baby.
I agree to disagree.

- If it's blown dead, would never know of a turnover anyway.

- Turnovers are rare, more likely would be an additional defensive penalty to offset, the vast majority of time the defense is going accept the 5 yds. Just get on with it.

- In the moment tough for all 22 players to know if it's on the offense or defense. Most probably assumed it was a "free play" as Jim Nantz did. Avoid the confusion and blow the whistle.

- Put it in line with false start foul. I think all illegal procedures by the offense should also be treated this way.

Let's go, Tommy DeVito!! I actually think this will be a competitive game, the Giants seem to have at least played a little bit better in recent weeks
I've always been a huge believer in Tommy DeVito, and thought he's something the Giants can build around.

Glad he's proving me right.

😏

Why though? They don’t do that when the defense is offsides. It’s essentially a free play for the defense. Create a turnover or get a sack and they can decline it.

That late Hopkins TD kicked me out of the playoffs in my main fantasy league. I scored the most points overall in the league yet end up 6-8. Another team got in at 7-7 while scoring the least amount of overall points.

I don't see how it's "defenseless" when Jefferson was going for the ball, and actually made the catch. DB led with the shoulder, didn't leave his feet and connected below the head into the back.

No call seems right.

Good call. Thanks for the link - I agree. Here's a video corresponding to your link about the rule:

Why though? They don’t do that when the defense is offsides. It’s essentially a free play for the defense. Create a turnover or get a sack and they can decline it.

See my response in # 1,869 for a thorough answer.

Aside from that, the NFL has a general scoring problem on its hands. I foresee more rules and/or points of emphasis to aid Offense in the next off-season.

I agree to disagree.

- If it's blown dead, would never know of a turnover anyway.

- Turnovers are rare, more likely would be an additional defensive penalty to offset, the vast majority of time the defense is going accept the 5 yds. Just get on with it.

- In the moment tough for all 22 players to know if it's on the offense or defense. Most probably assumed it was a "free play" as Jim Nantz did. Avoid the confusion and blow the whistle.

- Put it in line with false start foul. I think all illegal procedures by the offense should also be treated this way.
So are we blowing it dead if defense lines up in the neutral zone too? If the defense had entered the neutral zone, they would run the play as normal, and the Chiefs would’ve gotten the touchdown. But if they just blow it dead, then they would never have that opportunity.

Turnovers are rare. What if there is a big sack? What if the offense gets another penalty that is more damaging? Why can’t the defense be rewarded?

This was never an issue before. If it was always a rule that’s one thing. But it wasn’t. Everything has been fine for decades. Changing the rule only reinforces whining and complaining and rewards bad behavior.

So are we blowing it dead if defense lines up in the neutral zone too? If the defense had entered the neutral zone, they would run the play as normal, and the Chiefs would’ve gotten the touchdown. But if they just blow it dead, then they would never have that opportunity.

Turnovers are rare. What if there is a big sack? What if the offense gets another penalty that is more damaging? Why can’t the defense be rewarded?

This was never an issue before. If it was always a rule that’s one thing. But it wasn’t. Everything has been fine for decades. Changing the rule only reinforces whining and complaining and rewards bad behavior.
Not blowing it dead when the defense lines up in the neutral zone gives the offense a chance to gain yards and score points which is more optimal. Points are good. More punts are boring.

As for the sacks, if the offense knows they are offsides they are most like just going to chuck it out of bounds or plow into the line of scrimmage. As I said before it's problematic because not everyone know who the foul is on. Also bad for offense because then potentially a loss of down.

Less confusing. No chance for debate or offsetting penalties.

I think there are legitimate arguments on both sides of this. But the bottom line is that it should be the same policy whether defensive offsides or offensive. I can’t see the argument for having it incongruent.

I’ll happily agree to disagree here as there’s really no right answer.

All this because Mahomes and Co “got screwed?” How about don’t line up offsides and shut up. Bad look for a great player, coach and team. Nice play. Didn’t count. One of your players got flagged for a legitimate penalty. Pipe down.

Heard an interesting blurb on the "Locked on Vikings" podcast (not a bad listen a lot of days, but maybe not every day) about Dobbs and how the league figured out how to rush him. When Dobbs gets pressure, his first instinct is to escape outside; when the EDGE rusher has the edge set though, Dobbs then would automatically revert to going backwards, to get more room to try to get around. Horrible thought process considering the speed of the defensive players in the league nowadays. Just plain starts going backwards....

His argument, which I believe as well, the switch to Mullens came 5 quarters too late; should have happened at halftime of the Bears game. And it cost them a game. Oh well, too late to cry about that now.

He also had a good discussion the last couple about the "hospital balls" that Dobbs was throwing the last several weeks, getting the receivers killed; late, high, behind, et al. Specifically mentioned a play where KJ Osborn ran his route, stood there wide open for literally a few ticks, Dobbs throws the ball late, DB breaks in and helps knock the ball away. Fans say "another dropped ball!" when it was clearly 100% on Dobbs for being so late with the ball

Ive been against pussifying the game. So this hit didnt bother me,

But I do agree with you that it was questionable based off of the current rules, and ive seen less be called a personal foul

I think there are legitimate arguments on both sides of this. But the bottom line is that it should be the same policy whether defensive offsides or offensive. I can’t see the argument for having it incongruent.

I’ll happily agree to disagree here as there’s really no right answer.

All this because Mahomes and Co “got screwed?” How about don’t line up offsides and shut up. Bad look for a great player, coach and team. Nice play. Didn’t count. One of your players got flagged for a legitimate penalty. Pipe down.
While I'm more aligned with letting the offense get the benefit of the "free play", I would be totally fine with blowing dead regardless of which team is offsides.

“Similar” to how Iowa got screwed on a play that should never taken place because it should have been blown dead as soon as DeJean touched the ball.

In that vein, I agree with the blow it dead group.

Disagree that it should be the same as defense offsides, but I understand the argument. I simply do not agree that taking away a massive offensive play is the same thing as taking away a pick. I know you won’t agree and that’s fine.

Vikings lead the NFL in dropped passes, with three players doing most of the dropping

While the season's slow start is now mostly a memory, the Vikings are having continued troubles in one area of the game that, again, held them back in Sunday's 3-0 win over Las Vegas.

The Vikings lead the league in one unflattering statistic. No team has dropped more passes through Week 14 than the Vikings' 28, according to Pro Football Focus. They dropped six balls in Sunday's 3-0 victory over Las Vegas, tying a season high.

They also had six drops in the Oct. 8 loss to the Chiefs.

Most of the damage has come from receiver K.J. Osborn (7 drops), Alexander Mattison (6) and tight end T.J. Hockenson (5). Osborn dropped two passes on Sunday, when the Vikings fell below the Browns (27 drops) and Lions (26) for the NFL's most bumbled targets.

"Guys knew the challenge was to make some of those plays for Josh [Dobbs], and they wanted to," coach Kevin O'Connell said. "Maybe we were pressing a little bit.
"

Top Bottom