All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

And Royce Lewis. And Anthony Edwards. And Kiprizoff. :rolleyes:

I've never once said trade Ant or Kaprizov so stop saying that.

I love JJ, he's elite on every level. But WR is the easiest position to replace in the NFL behind RB. So you think it's smart to commit the highest amount of money in the league to a non-QB to JJ? I don't. They already proved they could replace Diggs, now they still have Addison and Hockenson. They could get enough draft capital from JJ to fill a lot of remaining holes and draft a future QB, plus they have other people to pay.

I was on the other side of this argument last year where I thought it would be stupid to trade JJ. But I changed my mind when he wouldn't sign an extension before the season, plus they drafted Addison, and last night's offensive output proved even further that they would be just fine without him.

I love JJ, he's elite on every level. But WR is the easiest position to replace in the NFL behind RB. So you think it's smart to commit the highest amount of money in the league to a non-QB to JJ? I don't. They already proved they could replace Diggs, now they still have Addison and Hockenson. They could get enough draft capital from JJ to fill a lot of remaining holes and draft a future QB, plus they have other people to pay.

I was on the other side of this argument last year where I thought it would be stupid to trade JJ. But I changed my mind when he wouldn't sign an extension before the season, plus they drafted Addison, and last night's offensive output proved even further that they would be just fine without him.
Great take. I was on the fence before the hock extension. But once hock got paid, I've thought they should trade JJ for all the reasons you stated. You cant have so much of your cap invested in offense. They still gotta pay darrisaw

I just keep thinking that with the bookend tackles set for years, and Hock, Addison, and JJ set for years.......this offense should be good to great.

Just pour everything into the defense and see what happens. Being able to sit at the top of the draft and pick a qb seemed perfect. Looks like that is not going to happen so we are sort of sitting in purgatory.

How do we pay everyone?

If they aren't going to trade Hunter, then you are signing for 4 years or whatever. Knowing us, we will hang onto him now that we won a game, only to lose him in the off season.

We are going to be in no man's land again it appears.

Lots of people to sign and drafting in the middle yet again.

On the other hand, we are in good shape with the cap this year, and if they traded Cleveland and let Harrison go in the offseason, they have a lot of money to front load the contracts of these guys. They are set up greatly for the 2025 cap.

Last edited:

Great take. I was on the fence before the hock extension. But once hock got paid, I've thought they should trade JJ for all the reasons you stated. You cant have so much of your cap invested in offense. They still gotta pay darrisaw
But until you draft people on defense who are good, you don't have to pay much on defense. Sign Darrisaw and JJ to 6 year deals, and they may look like steals in 2 or 3 years as the cap keeps going up and the numbers for players just goes up at a staggering rate. Front load the contracts.

Last edited:

Spend big bucks on a receiver (J.J.) and a tight end (Hockenson) and then draft a rookie QB to throw passes to them.

Something about this plan makes me a tad uneasy...

Spend big bucks on a receiver (J.J.) and a tight end (Hockenson) and then draft a rookie QB to throw passes to them.

Agreed...either commit to Cousins for another three (3) years and sign JJ to an extension OR let KC walk, trade JJ for a ton of draft capital and use an early pick for a young QB to groom.

Agreed...either commit to Cousins for another three (3) years and sign JJ to an extension OR let KC walk, trade JJ for a ton of draft capital and use an early pick for a young QB to groom.
The former you're just deciding to outscore everyone. Not saying its right or wrong. Just the truth

again, I am not anti-Cousins. but in a salary cap league, if you have multiple star players on your team, sooner or later you get to a point where you can't pay everyone.

the NBA has the luxury tax for teams that go over the cap. the NFL does not. even with its sometimes byzantine cap rules, the NFL cap is more of a hard cap.

so choices have to be made.

in the end, all I am saying is the Vikings' brain trust needs to have a plan. and in the NFL, those plans tend to revolve around the QB. If they want to re-sign Cousins, great. But that re-signing does not happen in a vacuum. That move impacts the teams' ability to make other moves.

so it comes down to: who do you pay and who do you move - or let walk away? If the decision is made to let Cousins walk, then the Vikes had better have a plan to replace him. and if it is through the draft, that pick needs to work out better than Cine et al.

Here's a hard to believe stat:

Harrison Phillips leads all defensive lineman in the NFL in tackles.

Thanks for all the analysis @kg21 !

Real fans will take it from here.

Let us know if you want back on the bandwagon. I might let you back on, depending how good your apology and repentance is.

At this point, it will have to be like the scene in There Will Be Blood where he screams "I've abandoned my child!!!"

Let us know if you want back on the bandwagon. I might let you back on, depending how good your apology and repentance is.

At this point, it will have to be like the scene in There Will Be Blood where he screams "I've abandoned my child!!!"
Bandwagon for what?

Real fans don't count that win. The Vikings got 3 turnovers and a lucky catch before halftime. Oh, that's right, those ones count and are now legit. LMAO

You’re definitely being left off at this rate.

You won’t be allowed to participate.

Great interview by Risner clearly. If Cleveland hadn’t gotten hurt he still wouldn’t have played yet, so like a lot of things luck also plays a factor.

But based on his performance I think most everyone would be OK trading Cleveland if that’s a move that all sides are interested in.

again, I am not anti-Cousins. but in a salary cap league, if you have multiple star players on your team, sooner or later you get to a point where you can't pay everyone.

the NBA has the luxury tax for teams that go over the cap. the NFL does not. even with its sometimes byzantine cap rules, the NFL cap is more of a hard cap.

so choices have to be made.

in the end, all I am saying is the Vikings' brain trust needs to have a plan. and in the NFL, those plans tend to revolve around the QB. If they want to re-sign Cousins, great. But that re-signing does not happen in a vacuum. That move impacts the teams' ability to make other moves.

so it comes down to: who do you pay and who do you move - or let walk away? If the decision is made to let Cousins walk, then the Vikes had better have a plan to replace him. and if it is through the draft, that pick needs to work out better than Cine et al.
This narrative isn't really true anymore. Every QB's salary is going to look crazy in its first year because the % of salary teams are willing to pay QB keeps increasing.

However, Kirk Cousins ranks 15th this season in QB salary. He is right below Derrick Carr, Dak Prescott and Matthew Stafford right above Geno Smith, Ryan Tannehil, and Jimmy G.

Ideally IMO, They are able to bring Cousins back for one more year at a reduced price while drafting a QB to take over in 2025.

Fans would riot (I might even join them) if they trade JJ but from a business decision I get it.

Will Vikings Season Ticket Holders get back on the bandwagon instead of selling their tickets to visiting fans? Tens of thousands unloaded their tix to both the Chiefs and 49ers faithful.

Chiefs game looked like over 40% red on TV.
49ers game, maybe 30%.

Ideally IMO, They are able to bring Cousins back for one more year at a reduced price while drafting a QB to take over in 2025.

Fans would riot (I might even join them) if they trade JJ but from a business decision I get it.

Does Cousins have the ability to balk if only offered 1 year and sign somewhere else?

Mid season Trade on Cousins right now for draft picks. Is that possible?

Trading JJ is something a computer might calculate gives you the best X percentage of success.

Thankfully, humans are not computers.

@Ope3 jusging season ticket holders who had to pay the license fee just to be able to buy tix and then required to buy them every year.

How much did you spend this year on season tix?

If you want to go to a Monday night game badly enough, great. If you want to sell an $80 face value ticket for $500 each to some Bay Area tech boy, also great.

You do know that I, myself, let you on the Addison bandwagon, right? You were 100 miles away from the wagon not long ago!

Trust the management and coach.

@Ope3 jusging season ticket holders who had to pay the license fee just to be able to buy tix and then required to buy them every year.

How much did you spend this year on season tix?

If you want to go to a Monday night game badly enough, great. If you want to sell an $80 face value ticket for $500 each to some Bay Area tech boy, also great.
Where was I "jusging" (or judging I presume) Vikings Season Ticket Holders? You are completely incorrectly projecting that as a critique.

More power to 'em. It's a simple fact, 10,000 of thousands viewed a profit on their tix as more desirable than actually going to the game. They have every right, I am not arguing otherwise, but it is an indication that many had lost faith (ie jumped off the bandwagon).

I'm guessing a lot of them were dismayed by losing their first 2 Homes games and then a 3rd to the Chiefs that the choice for profit outweighed the desire to actually see the contest.

Cousins has never shown a willingness to take a reduced price. I believe he was one of the 1st QB's to demand - and receive - a contract that was 100% guaranteed money. Hey, he and his team have been very good at getting what they want in negotiations. But I just don't see him changing course and handing MN a 'hometown discount.'

As I said above, if the Vikes decide to bring back Cousins, I'm fine with that. But given the realities of the salary cap, it is going to be very difficult to keep everyone.

in the end, I just want to see the Vikes get out of the middle. what is the middle - the middle is where you don't win enough games to challenge for a title, but you do win enough games to ensure that you don't get really good draft picks. to get out of the middle without bottoming out, you need a really good front office - and I don't think the Vikes' front office is in that category.

You do know that I, myself, let you on the Addison bandwagon, right? You were 100 miles away from the wagon not long ago!
With all this chitchat about Bandwagons, I think the only logical way to settle this feud is with a game of Oregon Trail.

May the best wagon win and not get stuck in the mud.

Top Bottom