All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Wow. Cleveland. Lose 3 of 4 to Giants, then sweep Texas and then get swept by KC. Thought we were erratic.

Down goes Cleveland! Twins can clinch on an off day tomorrow.

and it's the Orioles at Cleveland. Baltimore is trying to hold off Tampa Bay for the division title and the #1 seed, so they have something to play for.

after checking the standings - Twins have 81 wins. Houston is leading the West with 84 wins. so the Twins still have a shot at passing the West winner for the #2 seed - which would mean a 1st-round bye. a long-shot - but the Twins finish with 9 gms vs the teams with the worst, 3rd worst and 7th-worst records in MLB.

and it's the Orioles at Cleveland. Baltimore is trying to hold off Tampa Bay for the division title and the #1 seed, so they have something to play for.

after checking the standings - Twins have 81 wins. Houston is leading the West with 84 wins. so the Twins still have a shot at passing the West winner for the #2 seed - which would mean a 1st-round bye. a long-shot - but the Twins finish with 9 gms vs the teams with the worst, 3rd worst and 7th-worst records in MLB.
wouldnt that be something

If Houston or Texas wins the west, we just need to pull even with them as we own the head-to-head tiebreaker with each of those two. Seattle has that edge on us. The Mariners last ten games are seven with Texas and three with Houston.

Stat, courtesy of the ESPN crawl:

Today, the Minnesota Twins chalked up their 9th victory this season when trailing in the 9th inning or later. That"s the most in MLB.

Stat, courtesy of the ESPN crawl:

Today, the Minnesota Twins chalked up their 9th victory this season when trailing in the 9th inning or later. That"s the most in MLB.
As the Viking approved last year in 1 score games what can go wrong in the playoffs.

Astros beat the Orioles 2-1, so now 85 wins for the Stros. reduces the odds of the Twins being able to catch them for the bye.

on clinching: from Twins MLB.com beat writer Do-Hyoung Park -

because Detroit and Cleveland are now tied with 81 losses each - Twins can clinch Thursday IF Cleveland loses to Baltimore AND Detroit loses to Oakland. The Tigers play in Oakland, so we won't know until 11:30pm CDT or so.

Astros beat the Orioles 2-1, so now 85 wins for the Stros. reduces the odds of the Twins being able to catch them for the bye.
Plus the Twins need to catch Texas and pass Seattle to get the second seed. Tough to be chasing three teams this late in the season, especially when they have games against each other wherein one of them is assured of getting a win. The Twins pretty much have to go 9-0 the rest of the way and hope the three West contenders play .500. That scenario would really test the tiebreaker process.

on clinching: from Twins MLB.com beat writer Do-Hyoung Park -

because Detroit and Cleveland are now tied with 81 losses each - Twins can clinch Thursday IF Cleveland loses to Baltimore AND Detroit loses to Oakland. The Tigers play in Oakland, so we won't know until 11:30pm CDT or so.
damn it stros

It would be amazing if both the White Sox and Guardians finished behind the Tigers.

I guess it’s a good thing we lost the season series to both Cleveland and Detroit. Otherwise, we’d have the tiebreaker advantage on both of them and the division would now be officially clinched.
I may have this completely wrong, but I have heard the Twins radio guys talking about how they have actually yet to ever clinch a playoff spot while winning game at Target Field sparking a pandemonium champagne celebration in front of a home crowd.

Going back to 1987, the only one I can think of was Game 163 vs Detroit. All the non-
World Series wins were also in road clubhouses ('87 ALCS vs Detroit, '91 ALCS vs Toronto & '02 vs Oakland).

If I have that incorrect, apologies in advance.

Personally, sure it would be cool, but with the expanded playoff field I feel like these celebrations should be much more muted until the ALCS anyway.

Break out the goggles.

I may have this completely wrong, but I have heard the Twins radio guys talking about how they have actually yet to ever clinch a playoff spot while winning game at Target Field sparking a pandemonium champagne celebration in front of a home crowd.

Going back to 1987, the only one I can think of was Game 163 vs Detroit. All the non-
World Series wins were also in road clubhouses ('87 ALCS vs Detroit, '91 ALCS vs Toronto & '02 vs Oakland).

If I have that incorrect, apologies in advance.

Personally, sure it would be cool, but with the expanded playoff field I feel like these celebrations should be much more muted until the ALCS anyway.

Break out the goggles.
Think in 06 in game 162 they won to secure a wild card and then the whole crowd stayed to watch the Royals/Tigers game on the big screen...KC won which gave them the division win and the whole team stormed the field. I was there and it was an awesome time.

Think in 06 in game 162 they won to secure a wild card and then the whole crowd stayed to watch the Royals/Tigers game on the big screen...KC won which gave them the division win and the whole team stormed the field. I was there and it was an awesome time.
Good one. They had actually already secured a Wild Card in 2006 earlier that week (Sept 25), but that was at the HHH Dome. So they celebrated the playoff berth plus later clinching the AL Central (Oct 1).

Overkill, perhaps, at the risk of being a killjoy.

realistically - they won't know if they clinch until roughly 11:30 tonight, or later depending on when the Tigers game wraps up in Oakland.

I can't see the team having any type of "celebration" at that hour when they have a game the next day.

so, even if the Twins do clinch tonight, I would bet that they wait to celebrate until after Friday night's game in front of the home fans.

regardless - A-holes on the internet will criticize them for celebrating. I predict the following response: "they have no right to celebrate anything until they win a playoff game......"

some Minor-League News:

Yunior Severino has been named the Twins' Minor League Player of the Year by Baseball America.
at AA Wichita: 84 games - .287/.365/.560 (.925 OPS) 24HR - 62 RBI
at AAA St. Paul: 33 games - .240/.333/.521 (.854 OPS) 10HR - 20 RBI
(total - 117 gms - 34HR- 82 RBI)

Kala'i Rosario was named MVP of the High-A Midwest League (played for Cedar Rapids)
21HR - 94 RBI - 51 Extra base hits - .467 SLG - .831 OPS

If you missed it, Cedar Rapids won the playoff for the Midwest League Championship.

some Minor-League News:

Yunior Severino has been named the Twins' Minor League Player of the Year by Baseball America.
at AA Wichita: 84 games - .287/.365/.560 (.925 OPS) 24HR - 62 RBI
at AAA St. Paul: 33 games - .240/.333/.521 (.854 OPS) 10HR - 20 RBI
(total - 117 gms - 34HR- 82 RBI)

Kala'i Rosario was named MVP of the High-A Midwest League (played for Cedar Rapids)
21HR - 94 RBI - 51 Extra base hits - .467 SLG - .831 OPS

If you missed it, Cedar Rapids won the playoff for the Midwest League Championship.
Emmanuel Rodriguez had a grand slam in the championship clinching game.

Buxton is done for the evening, 1-4 with a run scoring single in the 7th inning, hard grounder up the middle. He was then pinch ran for.

Twins will have to wait until tomorrow night to clinch the AL Central. Cleveland won over Baltimore.

Top Bottom