All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

with Duran, velocity is nice but it's not everything. we've seen him give up hits and HR's on 100-mph plus fast balls. I think the Splinker is his best pitch if he can hit his spots with it. Friday night, he seemed to be taking a little velocity off the splinker in order to have more control.

but - bigger picture - Duran did not pitch in 2020, and only worked 16 innings in '21.
he has worked 111 innings for his major league career.

the biggest change from '22 to '23 is that his walks per 9 innings have gone from 2.1 last year to 3.7 this year. his WHIP has gone from 0.975 to 1.145. his hits per 9 innings is actually down from 6.7 to 6.6 this year, and K rate from 11.8 to 12.2, but his HR rate is up from 0.8 to 1.0 - so it all comes down to control.

with Duran, velocity is nice but it's not everything. we've seen him give up hits and HR's on 100-mph plus fast balls. I think the Splinker is his best pitch if he can hit his spots with it. Friday night, he seemed to be taking a little velocity off the splinker in order to have more control.

but - bigger picture - Duran did not pitch in 2020, and only worked 16 innings in '21.

the biggest change from '22 to '23 is that his walks per 9 innings have gone from 2.1 last year to 3.7 this year. his WHIP has gone from 0.975 to 1.145. his hits per 9 innings is actually down from 6.7 to 6.6 this year, and K rate from 11.8 to 12.2, but his HR rate is up from 0.8 to 1.0 - so it all comes down to control.
Thanks for putting that together. I think there's definitely some fatigue issues occurring.

Good stuff, SON, for those of us that don't follow the analytic side of the game.

I feel Mauer is the least appreciated by fans of our hall of famers. We are all aware what happened the second part of his career as injury drastically changed the course of his career. I think Mauer's laid back personality gave a feeling of not caring, combined with his maga contract rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way.

I think also Mauer felt this from fans and has always felt he was underappreciated. Really don't see him much around the twins anymore at all.

I feel Mauer is the least appreciated by fans of our hall of famers. We are all aware what happened the second part of his career as injury drastically changed the course of his career. I think Mauer's laid back personality gave a feeling of not caring, combined with his maga contract rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way.

I think also Mauer felt this from fans and has always felt he was underappreciated. Really don't see him much around the twins anymore at all.
What he did as a catcher is amazing. The 2nd part of his career doesn’t cancel out the first part.

I think he’s just a reserved guy that probably wouldn’t be heard from much regardless.

Seems like there's at least one player every year that Rocco will keep on the field regardless of their performance. The Gallo signing at $11m this offseason was a headscratcher to begin with and he continues to look lost in virtually every plate appearance. With the 2 strikeouts tonight, he has now struckout exactly 50% of the time in 240 at-bats this season. This coming after striking out 46.6% of the time last season in 350 at-bats.

Since June 1st, he is hitting 16 for 106 (.151) and has struck out 57.5% of those at-bats (61 Ks). His defense has taken a step back as well. I get his defensive versatility can help at times, especially with the number of injuries, but give someone else his at-bats.

Missed parts of the game. Did they have Mauer in the booth yet?

He just never drove the ball or produced runs. He averaged 10 and 62 RBI's per season.

I was never overly excited when he stepped in the box.

When Morneau stepped in the box, my ears perked up! I'm now thinking runs.

I always thought he should have been moved to 3rd early in his career. He might still be playing today and nearing 3,000 hits.

He just never drove the ball or produced runs. He averaged 10 and 62 RBI's per season.

I was never overly excited when he stepped in the box.

When Morneau stepped in the box, my ears perked up! I'm now thinking runs.

Yeah, he had the MVP year at the perfect time from a financial standpoint for him. Sad how injury robbed both him and Morneau. Not sure who grounded out to second more in their careers, Kepler or Mauer. Actually Kepler has improved on that this season.

Twins need to part ways with Moron (yes, I meant that), he does this all the time.

Top Bottom