All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

First season series win vs Yanks since 2001.

Nervous about Maeda tomorrow. Hopefully we dont do a classic Wednesday day game lineup. We got some revenge due for German. Play to win and lets get a big sweep.

Nervous about Maeda tomorrow. Hopefully we dont do a classic Wednesday day game lineup. We got some revenge due for German. Play to win and lets get a big sweep.

I still think piggybacking Ober with Maeda would be a good thing. The 2001 thing is amazing. Wonder if there's ever been a longer streak of futility than that.

Listening to the Yankees broadcast. Question of the night:. With tonite's win, Ryan will join which twins pitcher as the only twins pitchers to win their first five starts in a season?
Hint: This pitcher is well known for pitching in New York.
Just looked it up and u r right. Had forgotten that. Jerry Koosman is right. Won 20 games for the twins in '79 and 16 games in '80 for the twins.
Shoot I just saw this and knew the answer, I was screaming at my phone while scrolling through the guesses. My dad was a Mets fan before the family moved here in the early 70s.

A few occasions I was able to easily convince him that we needed to go to the Met when it was Koosman's turn in the rotation.

Fun fact: Jerry Koosman was pitching for the Mets when they got the final out in the 1969 World Series against the Orioles. Jesse Orosco got the final out versus the Red Sox in 1986.

They were traded for each other.

At least the Mets helped out the 1991 Twins who acquired Kevin Tapani and Rick Aguilera in the Viola deal.

Last edited:

Listening to the Yankees broadcast. Question of the night:. With tonite's win, Ryan will join which twins pitcher as the only twins pitchers to win their first five starts in a season?
Hint: This pitcher is well known for pitching in New York.
I wanted to guess Jim Hughes, who I recalled had a great start to the season in 1975, but he didn’t fit the NY hint. I did look up his 1975 stats anyway and it turned out he lost his only April start. However, he went 6-0 in May with five complete games and an ERA of 0.87. A true one-month wonder.

Kirilloff with another opposite-field HR for St. Paul. If he keeps hitting like this, he's going to force the issue. Twins still have a lot of guys struggling in the lineup. Hard to keep a guy in the minors who is raking like that.

on Jerry Koosman - as a guy who watched most of the 1969 World Series, the Mets had a heck of a pitching staff. Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman and Gary Gentry were the top 3 starters. behind them, Don Cardwell and Jim McAndrew rotated as the 4th starter. and then there was a 22-year old kid named Nolan Ryan - appeared in 25 games with 10 starts. 92K and 53BB in 89 Innings. Tug McGraw (father of country star Tim McGraw) logged 100 innings out of the bullpen, going 9-3 with 12 saves. The flip side was that the Mets were not a good hitting team. Cleon Jones and Tommy Agee were solid hitters, but the rest of the lineup was a bunch of punch-and-judy types.

I wanted to guess Jim Hughes, who I recalled had a great start to the season in 1975, but he didn’t fit the NY hint. I did look up his 1975 stats anyway and it turned out he lost his only April start. However, he went 6-0 in May with five complete games and an ERA of 0.87. A true one-month wonder.

Interesting, another blast from the past. 70s were rough on the twins but kinda fun remembering some of those names

Kirilloff with another opposite-field HR for St. Paul. If he keeps hitting like this, he's going to force the issue. Twins still have a lot of guys struggling in the lineup. Hard to keep a guy in the minors who is raking like that.

on Jerry Koosman - as a guy who watched most of the 1969 World Series, the Mets had a heck of a pitching staff. Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman and Gary Gentry were the top 3 starters. behind them, Don Cardwell and Jim McAndrew rotated as the 4th starter. and then there was a 22-year old kid named Nolan Ryan - appeared in 25 games with 10 starts. 92K and 53BB in 89 Innings. Tug McGraw (father of country star Tim McGraw) logged 100 innings out of the bullpen, going 9-3 with 12 saves. The flip side was that the Mets were not a good hitting team. Cleon Jones and Tommy Agee were solid hitters, but the rest of the lineup was a bunch of punch-and-judy types.

A fun team. Am sure I still have a lot of the baseball cards of those guys.

As u know, Mets beat the Braves in a 3 game series to make the fall classic against the Orioles. Orioles of course had defeated the Twins in the AL playoff. Orioles had won 109 games in the season and were a heavy favorite. Weaver and his 3 run homers were going to make quick work of the Mets.
Mets thought otherwise.

Last edited:

To get to 91 wins, White Sox have to go 84-54. Feels like their season is over and it's not even May.

Last edited:

Fielding does matter.

Yep, last night Robert and Jimenez were fighting over fly balls.
Sox fans can maybe take hope that in April they had the toughest schedule in baseball. In May they have the easiest.

Yeah I mean hes gotta be up here. Hes too good for AAA so having him sit down there is benefitting noone.

Might his wrist get fucked again? Yup. But that could happen playing in AAA as well.

He is currently able to swing a bat. So might as well have him swing the bat with the team that matters. Rather than continue to rake meaningless homers in St Paul.

IIRC. Per The Athletic, he isn’t eligible to be called up until next week, as he’s still on his rehab assignment (60 day IL), and that he’ll be eligible next week

IIRC. Per The Athletic, he isn’t eligible to be called up until next week, as he’s still on his rehab assignment (60 day IL), and that he’ll be eligible next week
AK still hasn't played back-to-back days.

I made it Target Field for my season debut last night. While temp hovered around 50, wind was pretty mild so still comfortable.

Larnech's HR to RC was a laser. Loud.

In person, love the speed up rules.

The new scoreboards look great. It takes some getting used to with the Out of Town Scoreboard being moved from the right field wall to right field foul territory. I am guessing that move to provides more space for advertising that gets visible on TV broadcasts. I also had a harder time locating the pitch count trackers, but the game moves so fast I spent less time looking for it anyway.

AK still hasn't played back-to-back days.

I made it Target Field for my season debut last night. While temp hovered around 50, wind was pretty mild so still comfortable.

Larnech's HR to RC was a laser. Loud.

In person, love the speed up rules.

The new scoreboards look great. It takes some getting used to with the Out of Town Scoreboard being moved from the right field wall to right field foul territory. I am guessing that move to provides more space for advertising that gets visible on TV broadcasts. I also had a harder time locating the pitch count trackers, but the game moves so fast I spent less time looking for it anyway.

Great night to go - congrats 🎊

Thanks for the AK comment - forbearance is our friend and not our foe.

Less fans on their phones and actually watching the game compared to previous years?

LOL why did I think this would be different??

Buxton and Polanco sitting today. Even Taylor(who has surprisingly been good)

Solano playing 2B. Gordon in.

Yanks are of course playing their guys. Twins are the only team who regularly makes it a point to be content with the first two games and start a day game behind the eight ball.

Could still win. But just insulting to cotinuely not go for the kill.

Great night to go - congrats 🎊

Thanks for the AK comment - forbearance is our friend and not our foe.

Less fans on their phones and actually watching the game compared to previous years?
Hard to get a gauge the on the phone usage, I was in the front row of LF and on an aisle, so I didn't really monitor others much. I know I was on it less, but once the sun went down was wearing gloves so maybe that played a role in it. I did not bring my fancy ones that still let you interact with the screen.

The rows behind lots of chatter providing updates on the Wolves/Wild playoff games so there was at least that.

Last edited:

Question of the day. Twins have one player who has started every game this season. Name him.

Geez- just looked at todays lineups. Who’d have ever thought in today’s environment you’d see the yanks trot out a lineup with 5 players have batting averages under .215

LOL why did I think this would be different??

Buxton and Polanco sitting today. Even Taylor(who has surprisingly been good)

Solano playing 2B. Gordon in.

Yanks are of course playing their guys. Twins are the only team who regularly makes it a point to be content with the first two games and start a day game behind the eight ball.

Could still win. But just insulting to cotinuely not go for the kill.
"Behind the eight ball" is overly dramatic.

Twins are actually the slight money line favorites.

Geez- just looked at todays lineups. Who’d have ever thought in today’s environment you’d see the yanks trot out a lineup with 5 players have batting averages under .215

The Yankees roster isn’t that great IMO.

They we’re counting on Volpe to be producing at a ROY level - I’ll believe it when I see it.

Willie Calhoun - why they insist on playing him in front of Hicks is beyond me.

I think Mr. Boone’s tenure might be over after this season - not beloved in my neck of the woods

Baseball is weird. We lose 7 of 8 and seems like the sky is falling. Now on verge of sweeping a team that has dominated us for more than two decades.

"Behind the eight ball" is overly dramatic.

Twins are actually the slight money line favorites.

That Yanks lineup is currently horrendous. But they are starting their best possible guys. So yeah, we are actively making the decision to lessen our chances to win a game.

Buxton again DH's should not even need rest. Either way rest guys seperately if they are in your top 4-5 hitters. Or do it against the Royals who really suck.

Yanks even with their putrid offense are still a +12 run differential team

Starting as expected. ONly lineup that makes German look like Cy young.

Maeda giving up hard contact.

OUr B lineup cant field.

Yeah if you're going to put out this kind of a lineup you might as well just forfeit and give everyone a day off. How does Maeda even pitch knowing its a guaranteed loss?

Top Bottom