All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Its honestly embarrasing how predictable something like this is.

Gordon in center, Solano at second, Maeda on the mound is just an insult to the paying fans when youre clearly not trying to win.

Enough Maeda in the rotation. Hes not the old Maeda. Hes not good enough or have the durability to give us proper innings. We have Ober. A good young pitcher. Stop being fucking stupid and use your better player.

That Yanks lineup is currently horrendous. But they are starting their best possible guys. So yeah, we are actively making the decision to lessen our chances to win a game.

Buxton again DH's should not even need rest. Either way rest guys seperately if they are in your top 4-5 hitters. Or do it against the Royals who really suck.

Yanks even with their putrid offense are still a +12 run differential team
Correa is the guy that looks like could use a day off.

Correa is the guy that looks like could use a day off.

Thats true he does. His approach at the plate is brutal.

Hopefully even with this beat down a homer gets Miranda going for the year. He needed one.

Yeah if you're going to put out this kind of a lineup you might as well just forfeit and give everyone a day off. How does Maeda even pitch knowing its a guaranteed loss?

I dunno, maybe because he’s a professional and cares about the team

If pitching injured, giving basically no depth in innings and allowing runs is caring about the team. Im glad our other starters dont care.

Obviously he was cleared by the medical staff, Abner OPS+

Ii never said the other pitchers didn’t care - did I kiddo?

Back to ignoring you before you start swearing at me.

Good luck with your algebra final🤠!

Last edited:

Obviously he was cleared by the medical staff, Abner OPS+

Correct he was cleared to pitch. But hes coming off TJ and also cant run. Hence why he has missed a full start already. Went a week between another. And goes 5 innings. All while having a ERA that is.......not good.

He shouldnt be in the rotation right now when we are far from strapped with options.

In games where Buxton has not been in the starting lineup, the Twins are 0-3 (0-4 barring a massive, massive comeback today).

It sucks to see Maeda look like this. Bullpen makes more sense right now until he gets things figured out (if he ever does). Or IL.

Been with the team since 2000.

I’m thinking the brain trust thought he deserved another chance, especially after missing all last year, so now they know and can move forward accordingly.

I’d rather have a team err on the side of loyalty, rather than have a quick hook, as I like the culture it fosters on a team, in a company and obviously family.

Glad that part of Alex is still in my DNA, despite my current environs where that is not valued as much, in my experience.

Been with the team since 2000.

I’m thinking the brain trust thought he deserved another chance, especially after missing all last year, so now they know and can move forward accordingly.

I’d rather have a team err on the side of loyalty, rather than have a quick hook, as I like the culture it fosters on a team, in a company and obviously family.

Glad that part of Alex is still in my DNA, despite my current environs where that is not valued as much, in my experience.
Yeah, from the outside it still seems to me it would make better sense to start him off in the bullpen to see how things go there first. But either way he just doesn't' look good so far.

Needs to be Ober time immediately. Lets actually try to actively win games.

Miranda hitting in garbage time to stat pad his awful start. But hopefully it is the start of something big.

Yeah, from the outside it still seems to me it would make better sense to start him off in the bullpen to see how things go there first. But either way he just doesn't' look good so far.

I think you’re correct sir, I was just trying to look at it from the decision makers perspective.

Sometimes it works, as in keeping Miranda in the middle of lineup (showing you still have confidence in his stick) and sometimes it doesn’t, as in Maeda’s start today; as Yogi said, “90% of the game is half mental.”

I also try and remember, no gets them all right, least of all ME🤠

lot of questions on Maeda. was never a fire-baller, but velocity on fast ball is down another notch.
at times, still seems to have good movement on breaking balls, but that's about all that's working.

and now, with the ankle/leg injury from the line drive, it might be time to put him on the shelf for a couple of weeks and see where he's at then.

bigger picture - one of the worst things you can do as a baseball fan IMHO is to over-react to single games. 162 game season. the best team in the game is going to lose 55 to 60 games, and the worst team is going to win 55 to 60 games.

baseball is not football. getting bent out of shape over one game is going to drive you nuts.

Next 10 gms are vs KC, White Sox and Cleveland. ideally, Twins need to go at least 6-4; 7-3 would be better.

Looks like Headrick is going to be a sacrificial lamb, having him go 5 IP in relief. I would expect him to be sent down to St Paul unless they are going to use him as a spot starter for Maeda's turn.

Could also just skip Maeda's turn with an Off Day scheduled on Monday.

If Maeda goes on the IL, it can't be Ober for the next start anyways as he has to be down there for 10 days. They could just skip that spot in the rotation like Ope3 said and then call him up once the following start comes around.

He finally got his first at-bat tonight, a strikeout. The Twins brought him up two years ago I believe but for some ridiculous reason didn’t find a way to get him an at bat. Good for him, really cool moment.

Last edited:

It sucks to see Maeda look like this. Bullpen makes more sense right now until he gets things figured out (if he ever does). Or IL.
I assume they don't want him in the bullpen because he can't warm up/get ready very quickly. But they really can't leave him in the rotation. He's throwing complete slop now. Even though he's crafty and the defense screwed him yesterday, he still looks pretty cooked. Put him on the IL and use the max rehab stint. Than stick him in the bullpen in the long relief role.

Looks like Headrick is going to be a sacrificial lamb, having him go 5 IP in relief. I would expect him to be sent down to St Paul unless they are going to use him as a spot starter for Maeda's turn.

Could also just skip Maeda's turn with an Off Day scheduled on Monday.
Nailed it.

MLBPA should try to fight this type of move in the future or get some sort of concession. Seems really unfair. Plus the Saints get a guy they can't use for 4 or 5 days, minimum.

Nailed it.

MLBPA should try to fight this type of move in the future or get some sort of concession. Seems really unfair. Plus the Saints get a guy they can't use for 4 or 5 days, minimum.
Certainly a huge advantage for the Twins having their triple a club 15 miles away. I’m not sure how they limit teams from doing though.

Kepler down to 8 in the batting order. Correa could drop below the Mendoza line tonight. Kiriloff has to be close one would think.

Certainly a huge advantage for the Twins having their triple a club 15 miles away. I’m not sure how they limit teams from doing though.
Most of the time the proximity to St Paul really doesn't make a difference, for instance the 50% of the schedule the Twins are on the road. Also right now the Saints are in Rochester, NY so it's a plane ride anyway instead of the Green Line express (though I think Headrick could take up to 72 hours to report).

As far as mitigating such a roster move some things that could be done:

- Still give Headrick extra MLB Service time for the rest/recovery
- Create an extra roster spot(s). I have heard it proposed that pitchers (starting or relievers) could in essence be deactivated after high usage days. Right now the roster is 26, but really for most teams (other than the Angels/Ohtani) on any given day when the Starting Pitchers are factored in, only 22 have a chance of playing.

Top Bottom