All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

here's some irony.

Wes Johnson is reportedly leaving his job as the LSU pitching coach to become the new Head Baseball Coach at Georgia.

after leaving the Twins in mid-season, he lasted just about one year with LSU.

He’s a slippery one..gotta check your wrist for your watch when shaking his hand.

He’s a slippery one..gotta check your wrist for your watch when shaking his hand.
Not to mention he is working on destroying an arm the twins would hope to draft this year and may be ready to pitch in the majors in the fall.

Paul Skenes threw 125 pitches in a 7-2 win the other day. And it was not just a late scoring affair. It was 6-0 LSU through 6.

Not to mention he is working on destroying an arm the twins would hope to draft this year and may be ready to pitch in the majors in the fall.

Paul Skenes threw 125 pitches in a 7-2 win the other day. And it was not just a late scoring affair. It was 6-0 LSU through 6.
Jack Morris would give it a standing ovation.

Before the season if would've been told we'd be 2 games over .500 first week in June, I definitely would not have guessed we'd be in first by 3.5 games.
Not sure if I should feel negative because a good team is playing bad. Or should just feel positive because our average team is having the good fortune of being in a division with worse teams. I'm leaning toward the second. Maybe we are who we are.

Before the season if would've been told we'd be 2 games over .500 first week in June, I definitely would not have guessed we'd be in first by 3.5 games.
Not sure if I should feel negative because a good team is playing bad. Or should just feel positive because our average team is having the good fortune of being in a division with worse teams. I'm leaning toward the second. Maybe we are who we are.
If I was told before the season that we'd be 2 games above .500 in June while:

Mahle and Maeda have combined to start only 8 games
Correa has a .671 OPS
Miranda was sent down
Buxton hasn't played CF at all
Brock Stewart is our 2nd best reliever

I would have said there's no way.

I was reading an article about a D2 playoff game between (I think) Augustana (Sioux Falls) and MN State-Mankato. If I remember correctly, Augustana was short on pitching, so they let their starter go for 140 pitches.

before the MN State High School League put in their pitch-count rules, I can remember HS games where guys would throw 140 to 150 pitches in a game.

(true story - I was covering a HS team that was in its Section tournament. Star pitcher worked 1st game and team won. then, because they were in the losers' bracket, they had to turn around and play another game in 30 minutes. #2 starter started the game, but gave up a couple of runs. mid-way through the game, Star pitcher comes back and works the rest of the game. threw something like 12 innings that day. after the 2nd game, I asked the coach "how many pitches did Star pitcher throw today?" the answer - "I'm not sure. the stat girls didn't keep track of pitch count." My response to him contained a variety of colorful language. Obviously, that would never fly with today's rules.)

I was reading an article about a D2 playoff game between (I think) Augustana (Sioux Falls) and MN State-Mankato. If I remember correctly, Augustana was short on pitching, so they let their starter go for 140 pitches.

before the MN State High School League put in their pitch-count rules, I can remember HS games where guys would throw 140 to 150 pitches in a game.

(true story - I was covering a HS team that was in its Section tournament. Star pitcher worked 1st game and team won. then, because they were in the losers' bracket, they had to turn around and play another game in 30 minutes. #2 starter started the game, but gave up a couple of runs. mid-way through the game, Star pitcher comes back and works the rest of the game. threw something like 12 innings that day. after the 2nd game, I asked the coach "how many pitches did Star pitcher throw today?" the answer - "I'm not sure. the stat girls didn't keep track of pitch count." My response to him contained a variety of colorful language. Obviously, that would never fly with today's rules.)
A kid my age at a rival high school would do that all the time. He was their best pitchers as a 9th grader and was really good. But he threw so many pitches over his 4 years of varsity ball. He had better numbers as a 9th and 10th grader than he did his upperclassmen years. They had a really old school coach then and this guy would never get taken out of a game he started. He finished it no matter what.

HAHAHAHAHA. Now we put Buxton on the IL?? He got beaned on fucking Thursday.

Larnach up.

Still no Wallner?? Such a dumb fucking organization. Calling up Garlick cause hes a righty really worked wonders. Maybe look at the fucking stats once you blockheads. Garlick in AAA hitting like .200 and sub .200 vs lefties. HE SUCKS.

Wallner meanwhile is quite literally destroying baseballs at all levels. Nahhhhhhhhhhh this lineup doesnt need him.

We are barely .500 because we have zero competence steering this ship. Have a monkey run this org and we are at least 10 games over.

Wallner reached base in 8 straight MLB at bats. He was demoted to get Max Kepler in the lineup.

Then when we needed another player. We called up Kyle fucking Garlick while Wallner was putting up eye popping numbers in AAA fresh off the MLB stretch.

You really cannot make it up. Fucking get rid of the unathletic dorks running this team. They do not know sports.

Buxton goes on the DL having never played center field and being a much worse version of himself to even with what the twins did.

I think the front office uses the division as a crutch when they make their decisions. They know that basically no matter what they do they will not be out of the division race. They often hang on to “assets” for too long, they are reluctant to bring up the best players due to positional inflexibility, and they often leave players to try and heal for 3-4 days playing short handed before making roster moves. There are so many examples of what should have been done vs what they did it’s infuriating.

- Kepler still being on the team now when they didn’t want him all winter.
- pagan being their highest paid reliever despite not being a high leverage guy.
- Julien not playing anywhere but 2nd base in AAA despite Polanco being there and not leaving anytime soon.
- Wallner not being brought up in place of Kyle Garlick when Gallo got hurt.
- they continue to stifle the “prospects” they have despite them being 25 years old already.

They can only get away with this because the division sucks and it will only take 84 wins to win the division.

Can only imagine if they were paying Correa $300 million too.
Please bear in mind that the NY Post is considered a tabloid and is always looking for muck - that’s how they sell papers.

Per Jim Bowden from The Athletic, former GM, regarding his All-Star picks -

Francisco Lindor, Mets (starter) —Lindor leads all NL shortstops in home runs (10) and RBIs (40) and ranks second in doubles (15). He plays above-average defense.

The Mets are underwhelming at 30-30, so you gotta beat some piñata 🪅 and at this juncture it’s called Lindor (scuffling at.125 through the last 12 tilts).

Please bear in mind that the NY Post is considered a tabloid and is always looking for muck - that’s how they sell papers.

Per Jim Bowden from The Athletic, former GM, regarding his All-Star picks -

Francisco Lindor, Mets (starter) —Lindor leads all NL shortstops in home runs (10) and RBIs (40) and ranks second in doubles (15). He plays above-average defense.

The Mets are underwhelming at 30-30, so you gotta beat some piñata 🪅 and at this juncture it’s called Lindor (scuffling at.125 through the last 12 tilts).

Can’t handle the bright lights. 🤣

Why those plays are not reviewable is beyond me. Makes no sense.

I think the front office uses the division as a crutch when they make their decisions. They know that basically no matter what they do they will not be out of the division race. They often hang on to “assets” for too long, they are reluctant to bring up the best players due to positional inflexibility, and they often leave players to try and heal for 3-4 days playing short handed before making roster moves. There are so many examples of what should have been done vs what they did it’s infuriating.

- Kepler still being on the team now when they didn’t want him all winter.
I will post information on this tomorrow in ther thought process.
- pagan being their highest paid reliever despite not being a high leverage guy.
- Julien not playing anywhere but 2nd base in AAA despite Polanco being there and not leaving anytime soon.
per the front office (via The Athletic reporting) they only see him as a second sacker, as he is limited defensively.
Polanco needs 550 ABs for his option to vest, which isn’t going to happen at this point, he’s missed too many games.
I don’t know what happens then.

- Wallner not being brought up in place of Kyle Garlick when Gallo got hurt.
Weren’t they facing there lefty starters in the next six games?
- they continue to stifle the “prospects” they have despite them being 25 years old already.
Do you have any quantifiable data to support this, or rather is thus your supposition?
They can only get away with this because the division sucks and it will only take 84 wins to win the division.

Weren’t they facing there lefty starters in the next six games?

Garlick is a career minor leaguer. Batting .202 in AAA this year and .172 vs lefties. Stop trying to make excuses for incompetence. Our FO has no idea what the fuck they are doing.

But since you asked, it was Allen a lefty Saturda. Then righty Sunday. Righty today. Rays are undecided tomorrow and thursday but likely to throw Glasnow in 1 of them(righty). Regardless the Rays throw their pen alot. And trying to project starters 5 games out to justify kyle fucing Garlick is beyond stupid.

Then again, we are talking about the organization that NEW the Giants were starting a opener. Then immediately pulled AK(best hitter) and Julien in the second inning. So that Donovan Solano and Garlick could bat vs a 2nd inning lefty and burn 2 bench spots

This organization is fucking mental

Wow shut out through 7 again.

Who woulda thunk that a lineup with Solano as their clean up hitting DH would continue to suck??

*Note this is not a knock on Solano. When he signed here I dont think he thought hed bat clean up and play DH at the same time. Just really fucking dumb people making you guessed it....really dumb fucking decisions every game.

Top Bottom