All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

1 run, 5 hits, 2 walks, and 16 K’s. My god this offense is just so bad. You can’t tell me that having 60% of the outs not having the ball being put in play is a good thing.

Everytime twins win a few I get my hopes up and think we're gonna pull away. Silly me.

My NY team, the Mets are 30-30 with the highest payroll in MLB and Mad Max and Mr. Upton anchoring their rotation and Alonso leading MLB with 21 dongs; fortunately there are 102 games for both them and the Twins to sort it out.

1 run, 5 hits, 2 walks, and 16 K’s. My god this offense is just so bad. You can’t tell me that having 60% of the outs not having the ball being put in play is a good thing.
I said the offense would be he down fall of this team shortly into the season. GopherinNYC took offense and told me it's early, blah, blah, blah. Thanks for the tip NYC!

My gawd, soccer of this offense? It's worse than I thought.

Can’t have nice things.

Also what the hell is the 1st baseman doing. He fielded the ball and just stood there. Did he not think anyone was running down the baseline?
That’s what happens when you have a middle infielder playing 1B. He did everything wrong there except catching the ball. I wish Lewis would have just ran right into him.

He’s trying to catch the ball on a higher hop which theoretically makes sense but is very dangerous as we saw. And should be against the rules.

I said the offense would be he down fall of this team shortly into the season. GopherinNYC took offense and told me it's early, blah, blah, blah. Thanks for the tip NYC!

Interesting, you didn’t respond to that message, is it real or just another figment of your imagination, kiddo?

The season is 37% over, ~1/3 over, Rover. Maybe the other 2/3 will improve? Maybe not?

Currently, we’re tied for 14 in runs scored with 267 @ 4.45 runs per game as we’ve played 60 games. We’re also now 23rd in BA; last time this was broached by a poster, we were second from the bottom.
So not great, but not as horrific as some on here portend. We actually outhit Cleveland today, 5-3. Your batting practice logic gets taken deep to the cheaps once again by moi.

I’m a glass half 🥃 dude and some aren’t, so good for them and good for you too (?)

Last edited:

That’s what happens when you have a middle infielder playing 1B. He did everything wrong there except catching the ball. I wish Lewis would have just ran right into him.

He’s trying to catch the ball on a higher hop which theoretically makes sense but is very dangerous as we saw. And should be against the rules.

According to Do-Hyoung Park, Twins MLB writer, said he is good and shouldn’t miss any time.

Last edited:

Soccer of an offense. Well done 👍

Not used to Rocco being so frontal. Said wouldn't have mattered who was the opposing starting pitcher today.

I am confused why the didn’t put Buxton and Correa on the IL. They have not played all weekend and the twins are going on a road trip where they play exclusively on turf. Just leave them home and take two people from Saint Paul with you. Now if they can’t play you have to get people to Tampa or Toronto from St. Paul. You make it retroactive to Saturday and they can come back on the 12th just in time for the next homestand.

Interesting, you didn’t respond to that message, is it real or just another figment of your imagination, kiddo?

The season is 37% over, ~1/3 over, Rover. Maybe the other 2/3 will improve? Maybe not?

Currently, we’re tied for 14 in runs scored with 267 @ 4.45 runs per game as we’ve played 60 games. We’re also now 23rd in BA; last time this was broached by a poster, we were second from the bottom.
So not great, but not as horrific as some on here portend. We actually outhit Cleveland today, 5-3. Your batting practice logic gets taken deep to the cheaps once again by moi.

I’m a glass half 🥃 dude and some aren’t, so good for them and good for you too (?)
This offense sucks

You turned 5 hits today into a positive.

Love ya, NYC!

Hunter, Mauer, Morneau, Kubel, Cuddyer, Jones didn't give us a lot of postseason success but 6 division titles. All reached their potential and very good players.

The wave of Buxton, Sano, Polanco, Kepler, Rosario, Berrios was likewise highly anticipated but has unfortunately been a major disappointment.

Next wave is Lewis, Kiriloff, Julien, Wallner, Lee, Rodriguez, Larnach, Miranda, Ober, Varland. (Steer and CES should be 😡).
At this point would think this group looks more promising than second group but less than the first group.

Last edited:

Reusse pointed this out on Twitter, but the 16 Ks without either Gallo nor Buxton in the line-up it truly astonishing.

Garlick vs. LHP: .188, vs. RHP .286, but he's up instead of Wallner because they're scheduled to face 3 LHP over 6 games. OK, then.

Garlick vs. LHP: .188, vs. RHP .286, but he's up instead of Wallner because they're scheduled to face 3 LHP over 6 games. OK, then.
That's over 23 total at-bats on the season. Extremely small sample size.

Over his career:
vs. RHP: .207 with .612 OPS
vs. LHP: .246 with .820 OPS

Twins have had more of Buxton, but it’s a worse version of Buxton. This whole DH thing did not work as it didn’t not prevent him from being injured.

baseball is a streaky sport. teams have good and bad streaks. individual players have good and bad streaks. in the end, it usually evens out so that teams finish where they're expected to be, and players finish with stats that are at least close to their historic averages.

having said that, yes, in some cases, players just fall off the cliff and their career comes to a sudden end.

but barring anything of that nature, I still think that many of the Twins hitters who are struggling should do better in the second half of the season.

I could be wrong.

baseball is a streaky sport. teams have good and bad streaks. individual players have good and bad streaks. in the end, it usually evens out so that teams finish where they're expected to be, and players finish with stats that are at least close to their historic averages.

having said that, yes, in some cases, players just fall off the cliff and their career comes to a sudden end.

but barring anything of that nature, I still think that many of the Twins hitters who are struggling should do better in the second half of the season.

I could be wrong.
I agree with you except Kepler. It's a gots to go situation now. It does not appear as though the elimination of the shift is having much of an impact for him.

I agree with you except Kepler. It's a gots to go situation now. It does not appear as though the elimination of the shift is having much of an impact for him.

you will note I included the line about some people falling off the cliff.............at least he can yell for help in multiple languages.

I see article about Davis Ortiz in startrib today. Am I the only who thinks steroids may have been the thing that caused him to become a great player in Boston? I know the narrative is the Twins wanted him to be an all fields hitter and Boston told him to pull, but it really is that easy?
Of course he was suspended at one point in his career but proclaimed innocence.

I just don't see how you can go from a scrub to an all-time great that quickly without some extraordinary assistance.

I see article about Davis Ortiz in startrib today. Am I the only who thinks steroids may have been the thing that caused him to become a great player in Boston? I know the narrative is the Twins wanted him to be an all fields hitter and Boston told him to pull, but it really is that easy?
Of course he was suspended at one point in his career but proclaimed innocence.

I just don't see how you can go from a scrub to an all-time great that quickly without some extraordinary assistance.
Ortiz was not suspended. He showed up on the list from 2003 of those that had tested positive in what was supposed to be an anonymous process, and there was no penalty.

here's some irony.

Wes Johnson is reportedly leaving his job as the LSU pitching coach to become the new Head Baseball Coach at Georgia.

after leaving the Twins in mid-season, he lasted just about one year with LSU.

Top Bottom