All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

So when is the best time to bring in a relief pitcher that’s struggling? In a close game?

Nope in a blowout when your starter is rolling with a good pitch count and when its not before all hands on deck 4 game divisional series.

There was literally zero reason to pull Varland. They were eating out of the palm of his hand

Hey Rocco being a world class moron kinda helped us.

Lewis inexplicably batting 6th allowed him to hit that homer!!

Hilarious that Correa and Buxton both get replaced by journeymen and immediately they contribute haha

Nope in a blowout when your starter is rolling with a good pitch count and when its not before all hands on deck 4 game divisional series.

There was literally zero reason to pull Varland. They were eating out of the palm of his hand
Ok that I agree with. I thought you were criticizing who was brought in. I agree could have left Varland in for another inning. But if they’re going to go to the bullpen, Lopez makes sense there.

Ok that I agree with. I thought you were criticizing who was brought in. I agree could have left Varland in for another inning. But if they’re going to go to the bullpen, Lopez makes sense there.

Oh no not at all. Completely fine with using Lopez tbh I thought it was gonna be Pagan cause we wanted him to get work.

But we shouldnt have pulled Varland. At some point you just gotta let the guys ride.

Bases loaded no outs with a chance to win the game, what can go wrong?

Answer nothing. Twins win

Big fucking win.

Castro been a unsung asset. Huge knock by Polanco in his return game.

Pagan needs big props for his work. Jax with a win!

IL one of Buxton or Correa, bring up Wallner. Rest the one you dont IL for a bit. Those two simply aint right physically or mentally. We got other guys willing to grind out good ABs.

At 86 pitches through 7, I side with Rocco and Staff giving Varland the hook. Limited/no development in 2020 due to Minor League season being cancelled. 2021 roughly 130 innings pitched. 2022 roughly 150 combined Minors/Majors. He's already over 50 (combined) only 1/3rd through the season which will likely max out, 160-170 tops.

Extending him into the 8th to protect the bullpen doesn't make sense in an 8-0 game, IMO.

Last edited:

Hands down we lose tonight and Friday without RLewis. How does a guy not play for a year and come out of the gate swinging it like that.

Hands down we lose tonight and Friday without RLewis. How does a guy not play for a year and come out of the gate swinging it like that.

Hes a fucking gamer. Loves the moment.

Would be nice if Rocco/dumb and dumber in the FO stop being incompetent at their jobs and make AK and Royce our every day 3/4 hitters.

They are the present. They are the future. Right now they are flat out objectively astronomically better hitters then the two guys we keep hitting in those spots.

Royce batting 6th in this lineup is gross negligence.

You're welcome everyone. I completely changed the momentum this game in the 7th by turning the TV off and putting the earbuds on for a walk and listening to the Twins Radio Network.

Even extended it a few blocks in the bottom of the 9th once runners got on base.

Per Provus here is the Twins MASH 4077 injury report:

Buxton. Left due to rib soreness after getting plunked in side by a pitch.

Kepler. Left due to a migraine.

Correa. Left due to reaggrivating plantar fascitis

Last edited:

Bases loaded no outs with a chance to win the game, what can go wrong?

Answer nothing. Twins win
Interesting note per Twins Radio, that winning run driven in was only their 9th SAC Fly of the season. Tied with Oakland for dead last in that statistical achievement.

Run differential by team in division

Twins: +47
Guardians: -33
Sox:-55
Tigers:-56
Royals: -70

We are head and shoulders the best team in this division. Holding us back has been the insane amount of close losses, and very few close wins(all but 1 of our 1 run wins are walk offs). Blowing games late.

I harp on it enough but its true. A run differential gap like that with the small division lead we have points to really bad management. The philosphy/strategy in game is holding us back and creating too many losses that should be wins.

Run differential by team in division

Twins: +47
Guardians: -33
Sox:-55
Tigers:-56
Royals: -70

We are head and shoulders the best team in this division. Holding us back has been the insane amount of close losses, and very few close wins(all but 1 of our 1 run wins are walk offs). Blowing games late.

I harp on it enough but its true. A run differential gap like that with the small division lead we have points to really bad management. The philosphy/strategy in game is holding us back and creating too many losses that should be wins.

Yes, disappointing our lead isn't greater. Should be.

LOL the logic day to day of this team is fucking mesmerizing. So, Correa and Buxton both out but neither IL so sadly no Wallner. Anyways, lineup...

Donovan Solano has a very good .365 OBP. But a very poor .369 slugging %

Rocco logic....Bat solano 4th. Behind Lewis and AK. Rather than go Solano at 2 and AK/Lewis 3 and 4.

You could literally pick up a junkie off the streets of minneapolis at 2 am with more brains than this guy.

LOL the logic day to day of this team is fucking mesmerizing. So, Correa and Buxton both out but neither IL so sadly no Wallner. Anyways, lineup...

Rocco logic....Bat solano 4th. Behind Lewis and AK. Rather than go Solano at 2 and AK/Lewis 3 and 4.

You could literally pick up a junkie off the streets of minneapolis at 2 am with more brains than this guy.
Your best hitter should hit #2 in the lineup. Right now there's a fair argument that Lewis is that guy.

Your best hitter should hit #2 in the lineup. Right now there's a fair argument that Lewis is that guy.

1. thats wrong.

2. That contradicts our logic in most games.

guys who get on base(solano and especially AK) should bat in front of a guy who can also hit but do it with more pop.

The goal on offense is to try and score more runs. Thats how you score. Get on base, get em in.

Now Buxton?? It appears batting him 1st or 2nd is a good move. Because he has power but is literally rookie ball talent with guys in scoring position. So batting him 4th doesnt really work much.

1. thats wrong.

2. That contradicts our logic in most games.

guys who get on base(solano and especially AK) should bat in front of a guy who can also hit but do it with more pop.

The goal on offense is to try and score more runs. Thats how you score. Get on base, get em in.

Now Buxton?? It appears batting him 1st or 2nd is a good move. Because he has power but is literally rookie ball talent with guys in scoring position. So batting him 4th doesnt really work much.
It’s not wrong. You want your best hitters to get the most at bats. There is data that backs this up.

Look around the league. This isn’t a Twins thing only. Almost every team has their top power guys in the top 3 spots.

Top Bottom