All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Getting 2 more singles a game isn’t going to help this offense that much. Twins 2B this year have nearly identical SLG to Arraez even with his high AVG.

Long term a guy like Lopez is more valuable for this team IMO, especially when the Twins are loaded in the infield.
I hope Lopez turns out to be great, because Arraez will win multiple batting titles.

Nah. Rafael Palmeiro legitimately was the best fielding first basemen the year he won a Gold Glove while playing 28 games at first base.

Palmerio's '99 gold glove was a joke, but he legitimately earned them the two years prior. Gwynn also legitimately earned all 5 of his, they weren't just given to him because he was a good hitter.

I'd rather develop or spend free agent $$ on starting pitching than trade the best hitter in a bad lineup for one.

Everyone's trying to develop starting pitching, it isn't that easy. After griping about the Twins going out and signing mediocre, aging starting pitchers, they go out and get a good, young pitcher, and now you're wishing they were doing the opposite.

Lopez is still a developing, young pitcher with good stuff. He's the same age as Joe Ryan and Bailey Ober.

Arraez is still the best hitter and in a worse lineup than the Twins. Buxton, Correa, Gallo, and Larnach all have more RBI's than Arraez, despite the constant complaints about how terrible they are.

Everyone's trying to develop starting pitching, it isn't that easy. After griping about the Twins going out and signing mediocre, aging starting pitchers, they go out and get a good, young pitcher, and now you're wishing they were doing the opposite.

Lopez is still a developing, young pitcher with good stuff. He's the same age as Joe Ryan and Bailey Ober.
My issue is not with Lopez, it's with the cost they paid to get him. Falvey got the job based largely on his pitching expertise and Ober is the only big league starter he's drafted 7 years in. So he has to trade the AL batting champion to get them instead.

My issue is not with Lopez, it's with the cost they paid to get him. Falvey got the job based largely on his pitching expertise and Ober is the only big league starter he's drafted 7 years in. So he has to trade the AL batting champion to get them instead.

The AL batting champion who has no position on the team long term. Sounds like a smart move to build a good, young core of starting pitching.

Lopez isn't that good though. If that's what Arreaz brings at peak value, don't trade him. Sure they signed Lopez to an extension. But they're paying market rate. You also traded more years of cheap team control for less.
If Lopez isn't that good, then neither is Arraez. They're both good players. But starting pitching is the greater need going forward than a 2B.

The batting titles are fun and I really enjoy watching Arraez hit but people are over-valuing his production.

The AL batting champion who has no position on the team long term. Sounds like a smart move to build a good, young core of starting pitching.
He's league average at 2B and fine at 1B. I like Polanco, but he's probably gone after this season. Arreaz could be the long-term 2B. Lopez is at best the 3rd best starter on the team. Possibly 4th.

bottom line for a large percentage of Twins 'fans' on the internet and Twitter:

whatever the Twins do is wrong.

Hey - the Twins are not playing well. they are certainly open to criticism.

but some people just seem to go out of their way to complain about everything.

before the season, a lot of pundits were predicting the Twins would be a .500 team. and right now, the Twins are a .500 team. so, in that sense, they are meeting expectations.

He's league average at 2B and fine at 1B. I like Polanco, but he's probably gone after this season. Arreaz could be the long-term 2B. Lopez is at best the 3rd best starter on the team. Possibly 4th.

Julien has a higher OBP with significantly more power than Arraez did in the minors, plus he's better defensively. They also have Lewis, Kirilloff, Miranda, and Lee to figure out long term in the IF with Correa, and even if Buxton is going to start playing more in CF, he's still going to DH plenty.

Once again you're trying to degrade Lopez because he's had a couple of tougher starts lately. It's a long season and everyone goes through ups and downs. Over the last month he's still been better than Gerrit Cole, and about the same as Ohtani. I'm sure you wouldn't trade Arraez for them either...

Julien has a higher OBP with significantly more power than Arraez did in the minors, plus he's better defensively. They also have Lewis, Kirilloff, Miranda, and Lee to figure out long term in the IF with Correa, and even if Buxton is going to start playing more in CF, he's still going to DH plenty.

Once again you're trying to degrade Lopez because he's had a couple of tougher starts lately. It's a long season and everyone goes through ups and downs. Over the last month he's still been better than Gerrit Cole, and about the same as Ohtani. I'm sure you wouldn't trade Arraez for them either...
I'm not "degrading" Lopez. He's a decent pitcher who has a career ERA just under 4.00. It's find as a #3 starter. It wasn't worth giving up our best hitter for. That is all.

It was all going so well and then not. You just can not ask this bullpen to get you 9 outs every game and not give up runs.

This is the front offices doing and their philosophy that they never need to add to the bullpen. They simply believe that relievers can just be plucked out from anywhere and do it. The front office have proven they can not do this, but their philosophy won’t change. I would like to know how much worse other areas of the team would be if they invested $7million into the bullpen vs. say a position player. Don’t forget Pagan is the highest paid bullpen arm and he is only used in non high stress situations.

And now the hitters will look completely clueless.
That was the cherry on top of that inning. You give up the grand slam and the hitters come back with 3 of the worst at bats of the year. That’s saying something cause this team takes some really bad at bats.

Please stay healthy, Royce.

Just please!

Top Bottom