All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Trayce Thompson is batting .125 and Lopez didn’t even make him put the ball in play. That needs to be addressed by the pitching coach and manager.
Well that last pitch was a strike to Kirilloff. But agree you can’t walk him there.

This might be worse.

How is that play not even reviewable?

I get the angst with Cuzzi, but after Buxton drove in Correa with 1 out in the 9th (who got an extremely favorable questionable call on a check swing Ball 4 by the way), the Twins went 1-11 with a Runner in Scoring Position EVERY AT BAT.

The 1 hit was a dribble bunt who the pitcher misplayed by initially looking to get the lead runner at 3rd. Also included 6 Ks and a pop out bunt. Just get a SAC Fly in the 10th, and they likely win.

Excuses are for losers. Great resolve to comeback multiple times, but they failed ultimately in the clutch to break it open.

The 3rd pitch to Kirilloff was not a strike in the 10th. The catcher set up outside and has to reach 3 feet to catch the ball.
Huh??

Kirilloff took two pitches for strikes and both were egregiously balls.
Sorry, didn’t explain it well. The same pitch that was called a ball to walk in the game winning run was the exact same location of the strike 1 call on Kirilloff. Both are balls of course. I was just saying if the ump was consistent Lopez doesn’t walk in the winning run.

I get the angst with Cuzzi, but after Buxton drove in Correa with 1 out in the 9th (who got an extremely favorable questionable call on a check swing Ball 4 by the way), the Twins went 1-11 with a Runner in Scoring Position EVERY AT BAT.

The 1 hit was a dribble bunt who the pitcher misplayed by initially looking to get the lead runner at 3rd. Also included 6 Ks and a pop out bunt. Just get a SAC Fly in the 10th, and they likely win.

Excuses are for losers. Great resolve to comeback multiple times, but they failed ultimately in the clutch to break it open.

If only we played again today

Sorry, didn’t explain it well. The same pitch that was called a ball to walk in the game winning run was the exact same location of the strike 1 call on Kirilloff. Both are balls of course. I was just saying if the ump was consistent Lopez doesn’t walk in the winning run.

Oh yeah I get what you are saying now.

Thats the issue with online. Too many ways to read things gramatically haha

I get that and both can be true. But you can’t deny there were multiple really bad calls and that can be tough to overcome when playing a team like the Dodgers on the road.

I get that and both can be true. But you can’t deny there were multiple really bad calls and that can be tough to overcome when playing a team like the Dodgers on the road.
Agreed, both can be true. Also if Correa gets rung up on the check swing, essentially it's over for the Twins in the 9th.

The Twins can not control Cuzzi's ineptness. They have much more of a factor in going 1-11, whiffing half the time.

Agreed, both can be true. Also if Correa gets rung up on the check swing, essentially it's over for the Twins in the 9th.

The Twins can not control Cuzzi's ineptness. They have much more of a factor in going 1-11, whiffing half the time.

Exactly- had a great sales manager who used to preach, “Don’t major in the minors.”

The difference is the appearance with a right handed hitter vs a left handed hitter. The righty has to move his hands to avoid the pitch. The lefty doesn’t have to react at all. That is why one is a ball and the other is a strike. Plus he’s just a terrible ball and strike caller.

The 3rd pitch to Kirilloff was going to be called a strike no matter what because Alex didn’t like strike 1. The pitch could have been in the dugout and it would have been a strike.

The hanger Duran throw at 0-2 was stupidity at its finest to allow the tying run to score.

I was slumbering, not lumbering.

Me point is, neither us or the Twins can control questionable umpiring and some umps have an off day (like we all do), or some like Cuzzi aren’t good at their vocation - I learned this lesson when an-ex CPA made an unforced error on my taxes one year, not in my favor and as a grind quipped, “not everyone graduates at the tulip of their class.” You sir, can also not control what a pitcher throws - at least I hope 🤞 not. My guess is Duran wants to win the game more than anyone on here as well 😃.

Opie mentioned we were 1-11 with RISP in extra innings, that would personally cause me more consternation.

The positives, always end on those notes, is we battled back against a division leader and this team IMO, has a deeper belief in themselves and their team than in years past and has one of the best rotations in the league - that’s a lot to build on and watch this summer.

Now go get the next two!

I hate the "it's not reviewable" BS in all sports. If you're limiting the # of challenges anyway, let everything be reviewable. The ump isn't any less blind just because the ball is in front of him instead of behind him.

I was slumbering, not lumbering.

Me point is, neither us or the Twins can control questionable umpiring and some umps have an off day (like we all do), or some like Cuzzi aren’t good at their vocation - I learned this lesson when an-ex CPA made an unforced error on my taxes one year, not in my favor and as a grind quipped, “not everyone graduates at the tulip of their class.” You sir, can also not control what a pitcher throws - at least I hope 🤞 not. My guess is Duran wants to win the game more than anyone on here as well 😃.

Opie mentioned we were 1-11 with RISP in extra innings, that would personally cause me more consternation.

The positives, always end on those notes, is we battled back against a division leader and this team IMO, has a deeper belief in themselves and their team than in years past and has one of the best rotations in the league - that’s a lot to build on and watch this summer.

Now go get the next two!
I agree completely. It’s easy to blame the umpire and much harder to look at yourselves in the face for the errors you made as a player.

Royce Lewis to St. Paul. Looks like the twins are giving him every chance to join the big club June 1.
Wonder if decision has been made for Royce to never play outfield again or if that's still an option

Royce Lewis to St. Paul. Looks like the twins are giving him every chance to join the big club June 1.
Kid must a fast healer. Best ACL recovery in MN since AP so far.

Wonder if decision has been made for Royce to never play outfield again or if that's still an option

Can you just imagine if he produces like he did last year?!

Wowza and we got Farmer to fill in, who is a legit/good bench player.

This is the deepest Twins team since when?

It's not really necessary for him to play OF right now with Taylor, Gallo, Kepler, Larnach and Kirilloff. 3B and back-up SS is a greater need.

Can you just imagine if he produces like he did last year?!

Wowza and we got Farmer to fill in, who us a legit player.

This is the deepest Twins team since when?

From a batting lineup perspective would be really nice to be able to put him in the outfield against lefty pitchers. But his outfield days may be over it seems.

It's not really necessary for him to play OF right now with Taylor, Gallo, Kepler, Larnach and Kirilloff. 3B and back-up SS is a greater need.
Agreed. Though if Larnach keeps hitting and they refuse to play Buxton in the field, either Kepler or Gallo will have to play CF.

From a batting lineup perspective would be really nice to be able to put him in the outfield against lefty pitchers. But his outfield days may be over it seems.

Would be nice to have a Right hand stick, no doubt.

Maybe Larnach has taken the next step and can hit learn to hit lefties too?

It’s cool to worry about higher end problems.

See here is the issue for that.

The Correa "check swing" was after the foul ball called double. Only we reason we were down.

The bats definitely shrivled in the clutch big time. Solanos 3 pitch K(I believe it was 3) before the AK hose job was embarrassing. And usually blaming the umps is bad.

But this was a special circumstance where one blatantly foul ball didnt just give the hitter new life. It straight up gave them a double and a run.

Where two calls straight up took the bat out of our hitters hands in a 8-7 bases loaded 1 out situation.

At least in the Correa AB he still had to complete the walk and Buxton still had to hit a 170 mph frozen rope grounder that went all the way to the wall for us to benefit.

Top Bottom