All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Kepler IL, Larnach back up.
Buxton sitting today. Wonder if it's a day off to try and break the slump.

Jax has more losses than our starters combined. 5 to 3. I have no confidence in Jax or Alcala. Not much in Lopez either. Our bullpen has been a disappointment.

All five AL Central teams lost last night. Lucky we are in an awful division.

with Jax and Alcala - it could just be that their pitches are not good enough.

but, I have a theory - which could be wrong - that a big part of the problem is their approach - or rather the Twins' approach.

Jax and Alcala each have fast balls that are MLB caliber - mid to upper-90's. but the Twins have them - far too often in my book - emphasizing the slider or other breaking balls in place of the fast balls.

yes, a bad fast ball can be hit. but a bad breaking ball can be hit a LONG way, as we have seen.

it seems as if the Twins love the breaking ball. that did not change when Wes Johnson left. my suspicion is that this is coming down from the front office.

Jax has more losses than our starters combined. 5 to 3. I have no confidence in Jax or Alcala. Not much in Lopez either. Our bullpen has been a disappointment.

All five AL Central teams lost last night. Lucky we are in an awful division.

Bro,

Lopez is 1-0, 6 Saves with - 1.59 ERA and 0.88 WHIP.

Maybe adjust this expectations?

Without him, I doubt we’re in first place.

I think Jax will be fine. He’s struggled but has also had some really bad luck also. He has a FIP of 2.58. Hard hit percentage is good, but walk numbers are too high.

IMG_2608.jpeg

Fun watching Joe Cool vault to his first ASG; likely would have had it last year if he wasn’t sidelined by COVID.

Agreed. Has the chance to be a really good hitter if can stay healthy.

His approach and plate disciplin/coverage are extremely Mauerlike. You just know most times hes gonna give a great AB whether the result is there or not.

Also, when the wrist feels good it seems hes got a lot more raw power than Mauer too.

Not even sure what to say about our starting rotation anymore. Through the yrs we haven't been exactly known for our starting pitching ala the Indians. I spose this is kind of how White Sox fans would feel if their team suddenly started to play good defense or how Rays fans would feel if they started underachieving. Unexpected.

Last edited:

And of course today they play a laugher. Would love to see Cole Sands get the ball and tell him to just go eat the last two innings.

Ryan is a crazy fun pitcher to watch. Works fast(even if there we no clock), throws strikes and doesnt allow a lot of base runners.

Its amazing how many swings and misses his fast ball gets with such average velo and not crazy movement. Just such precise location and delivery

Offensive baseball is awesome! Just awesome!

Keep it up!

If playoffs started today. Uh-oh ....

Bye #1 Tampa
Bye #2. Texas
#5 Toronto at #4 Baltimore
#6. New York at #3 Minnesota

Truth be told, at present rate Yanks might not make the playoffs at all.
Also, wonder if our bullpen and hitting can pick up enuf that we could make a run at the second bye. One can dream.

Ryan is a crazy fun pitcher to watch. Works fast(even if there we no clock), throws strikes and doesnt allow a lot of base runners.

Its amazing how many swings and misses his fast ball gets with such average velo and not crazy movement. Just such precise location and delivery
I think Ryan working quickly, last year even before the MLB Pitch Clock, was because he was used to it from his time in the minors, where it has been tested/implemented. He carried the work habit up to the Show. Effectively.

Of AL pitchers who qualify with enuf innings pitched. Lance Lynn has the worst ERA, Michael Kopech has the fourth worst ERA, and Dylan Cease has the fifth worst ERA.
On the other hand, of AL pitchers who qualify with enuf innings pitched, Sonny Gray has the best ERA and Joe Ryan has the sixth best ERA. (Bailey Ober would have the 4th best ERA if he qualified with more innings pitched.).

Last edited:

Top Bottom