All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Gotta give it to the crowd. They really brought it today.

And Royce just gets it. Gave credit to the fans every chance he got.
I just saw game highlights and a clip from Rocco's Press Conference on MLB Network. He really went out of his way to say how much of a benefit the crowd was and showed his appreciation.

As someone who was there, You're Welcome Rocco!

Lewis is the most clutch Twin since Puckett.

Shout out to Rocco for not over-thinking anything and pitching Pagan.

I love Polanco but he can't play 3B in the play-offs. Put Castro there and then decide between Polanco and Julien at 2B.

Looking forward to coomdogs response. He was a mlb all star. Yes, every team needed to send a player.
I’m a Cubs fan too thanks to Harry and WGN in the 70’s. Coomer does a great job on the Cubs radio broadcasts

It was. But Julien really needs to cut down on taking those pitches next year (assuming no challenge system). He's usually right, but that gets you nothing under the current rules.
100%

Lil Frenchy (he’s Québécois after all) was right that it was a ball, but you just can’t take a pitch that close with 2 strikes with the inconsistency of umps as a whole, and it was late enough in the game to know that the ump was missing a lot.

Same kind of thing when Wallner took a K. The first call (called strike) was so bad, he had to swing at pitches out of the zone. That K was 100% on the ump.

100%

Lil Frenchy (he’s Québécois after all) was right that it was a ball, but you just can’t take a pitch that close with 2 strikes with the inconsistency of umps as a whole, and it was late enough in the game to know that the ump was missing a lot.

Same kind of thing when Wallner took a K. The first call (called strike) was so bad, he had to swing at pitches out of the zone. That K was 100% on the ump.
Julien's been "right" on a dozen K's looking this year. But it doesn't matter.

Kind of glossed over in the coverage was the great play by Solano to end the game. If that ball gets through the infield, Toronto would have had runners on the corners. Instead, he makes the play, we win, and the curse of the 18-game streak is over.
Well said, I was sitting down the RF line near the limestone. The ball was hit hard. Also, Durhan did his job and covered first.

Good scouting too, presumably.

Last edited:

Gotta give it to the crowd. They really brought it today.

And Royce just gets it. Gave credit to the fans every chance he got.
Rays drew less than 20K yesterday, smallest postseason crowd since 1919, save for the Covid playoffs of 2020. Gotta believe that played a part in Tampa’s uninspired play. That area doesn’t deserve to have such a well-run baseball organization. Hard to believe hockey is bigger there than baseball.

This angle, this play!

Win Twins!!
Everyone's praising Correa on this play, but why is he just watching the play from second as it's happening vs moving over to cover third? Whenever the thirdbase player charges toward the plate the shortstop should move over to cover. He should have been moving towards third when the ball was hit, not waiting until it was almost too late.

Everyone's praising Correa on this play, but why is he just watching the play from second as it's happening vs moving over to cover third? Whenever the thirdbase player charges toward the plate the shortstop should move over to cover. He should have been moving towards third when the ball was hit, not waiting until it was almost too late.
He was baiting him

He was essentially playing right up the middle and Julien shifted way to the right, so I think Correa was staying towards 2nd for a potential force out there. If he was playing in the traditional hole, then yes should have been moving to the right.

Last edited:

He was essentially playing right up the middle and Julien shifted way to the right, so I think Correa was staying towards 2nd for a potential force out there. If he was playing in the traditional hole, then yes should have been moving to the right.
I get the initial positioning, but I'm talking about what happens once the ball is hit. On the play, Julien shifts to his right to cover second like he should, but Correa just stands there watching the play unfold, so when the muff happens we have two players covering second and no one moving to cover third base. Correa then has to sprint to get to where he should have already been. With the hit, Correa should have been immediately moving toward third, just like Julien immediately moved toward second.

I get the initial positioning, but I'm talking about what happens once the ball is hit. On the play, Julien shifts to his right to cover second like he should, but Correa just stands there watching the play unfold, so when the muff happens we have two players covering second and no one moving to cover third base. Correa then has to sprint to get to where he should have already been. With the hit, Correa should have been immediately moving toward third, just like Julien immediately moved toward second.
If there was a play at 2nd Julien wouldn't have got there in time, so that is why I think Correa was staying in the vicinity. However, with 2 outs logically the play would be to 1B anyway, so I can see your logic from that standpoint.

Also odd was the Polanco had to sort of get out of the way of the throw, like he was going to cut it off for some reason.

In my experience, it happened much quicker than on replay - meaning it’s live, not memorex.

When thinking ahead of possible outcomes of a ball batted in play, backing up Polanco/covering third on a dribbler wouldn’t be on the radar for most players.

The fact the he recognized it, at all, and bad foot/leg and all got to it in time to make a perfect off balance throw to nab a speedy runner makes it an exceptional play.

ARod’s enthusiasm for it provides an expert third party attestation as well. I think he’s mediocre in the booth btw and not a fan.

Last edited:

In my experience, it happened much quicker than on replay - meaning it’s live, not memorex.

When thinking ahead of possible outcomes of a ball batted in play, backing up Polanco/covering third on a dribbler wouldn’t be on the radar for most players.
Guess it's all part of the beauty of baseball, analyzing what can/should be done in different situations. Covering third was ingrained into me by all my coaches when I played short. If there's a runner on first and the third basemen has to charge the plate (e.g., a bunt), then I needed to slide over to cover third - not all the way to the bag, but slide in that direction so I could easily get to the bag before the base runner could reach it. Every now and then you see where a shortstop completely fails to do this, and a runner gets to second and with no one covering third they just take that base as well.

Then there's always this third-base running strategy that's hard to stop...

Guess it's all part of the beauty of baseball, analyzing what can/should be done in different situations. Covering third was ingrained into me by all my coaches when I played short. If there's a runner on first and the third basemen has to charge the plate (e.g., a bunt), then I needed to slide over to cover third - not all the way to the bag, but slide in that direction so I could easily get to the bag before the base runner could reach it. Every now and then you see where a shortstop completely fails to do this, and a runner gets to second and with no one covering third they just take that base as well.

That's heads up I guess, knowing the umpire situation. Worth the risk.

Guess it's all part of the beauty of baseball, analyzing what can/should be done in different situations.
Yup - that’s one reason why this is the beautiful game.
Covering third was ingrained into me by all my coaches when I played short.
I think Opie’s point about being that far up the middle factors into it as well and of course, he might if just forgot or got caught up watching the play too.

If there's a runner on first and the third basemen has to charge the plate (e.g., a bunt), then I needed to slide over to cover third - not all the way to the bag, but slide in that direction so I could easily get to the bag before the base runner could reach it. Every now and then you see where a shortstop completely fails to do this, and a runner gets to second and with no one covering third they just take that base as well.

Good coaching and an apt pupil!

LMAO. That’s a play one of my tee ballers would try😂, except for Brandt who inexplicably always covered second base with dirt. I ran the youth rec league for a couple summers in college.

I wish I had the onions and speed to have done that once in my time playing days.

Top Bottom