All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Looks like it will be the Blue Jays. Which means early games probably. Sigh.

Looks like it will be the Blue Jays. Which means early games probably. Sigh.
Yeah. That sucks. I know someone in the office who barely pays attention all year will feel the need to discuss it. Might feel a sick day coming on.

Interesting

I can't imagine putting him on the play-off roster. Putting him back on the 40 man is inevitable though and pretty clear Keuchel wasn't making the post-season roster. Quite a fall for Celistino.

Of course the 7 PM game goes to the only matchup with both teams on the eastern time zone, because Philadelphia.

At least 3:38 is better than 2 PM

The Twins have actually hit Gausman fairly well in previous meetings.

that game is the key - if the Twins can beat Gausman in the 1st game, that gets the "streak" monkey off their backs, and I like the matchup of Sonny vs Berrios for game #2.

not to mention that all the games this year against Toronto were played in May and June. The Twins are a different team now with the rookies playing a bigger role in the lineup, and a very different bullpen.

------
as far as today's game, you can tell how much the Twins cared about it when they put Luplow in to pitch.

but - for future historians - it was a game to note. barring some bizarre turn of events, it will likely be the last Twins game to be shown on Bally Sports North. given the issues with Diamond Sports (owner of the Bally RSN's), I don't see any way the Twins are back on BSN next year - assuming BSN even exists by then.

It really sucks to watch a team closely all year and then not be able to watch them in the playoffs.
I don't understand why they don't just put all games in prime time. They're on multiple networks anyway. It's better for fans of the teams and casual baseball fans are more likely to turn in to both games and flip back and forth than watch at 2 PM.

but - for future historians - it was a game to note. barring some bizarre turn of events, it will likely be the last Twins game to be shown on Bally Sports North. given the issues with Diamond Sports (owner of the Bally RSN's), I don't see any way the Twins are back on BSN next year - assuming BSN even exists by then.
RIP WCCOII/Midwest Sports Channel/Fox Sports North/Bally Sports North.

I don't understand why they don't just put all games in prime time. They're on multiple networks anyway. It's better for fans of the teams and casual baseball fans are more likely to turn in to both games and flip back and forth than watch at 2 PM.
I’d be curious to see what the ratings are for the afternoon playoff games.

Start the first game at 5:00, then one every hour or so after that. I would think ratings would be higher then but maybe not.

Start the first game at 5:00, then one every hour or so after that. I would think ratings would be higher then but maybe not.
All I can find is that the WC round last year average just under 3 million and between 2 and 3.5.

I have neither the time nor inclination to analyze the playoff scheduling, but I’m sure MLB has and they’ve determined this is the way to maximize ratings and ad revenue. Seems reasonable to have postseason games not compete against each other as much as possible.

Best of 3 with all home games?? Stupid, why even play it.

That doesn’t count as a series win, any more than winning a play-in game.

Best of 3 with all home games?? Stupid, why even play it.

That doesn’t count as a series win, any more than winning a play-in game.
I completely disagree with the "all home games" stance. I think it's great. Rewards for the team with the better regular season accomplishment (winning the division) and eliminates the the need for a travel day.

It also increases the odds of finishing the World Series before Thanksgiving.

I realize I am in the minority, but I much prefer afternoon post season games. Earlier the better for me as well with mass transit from where I live on a weekday with commuter buses (I'm going to Game 1).

All I’m really saying is that if Twins win two home games instead of one home game (play in game) … so what?

That’s not winning a playoff series.

If they win the next (first real) series, then fine, they broke the curse.

To be honest, since all people know the Twins have zero chance at the World Series, I am rooting for them to lose their first playoff series in order to complete the “‘Sota Sweep”.

Meaning: each of the four major professional Minnesota teams over the 2022-2023 sports year will have made the post-season only to then lose their first series/game.

Minnesota sports. Misery loves company :)

All I’m really saying is that if Twins win two home games instead of one home game (play in game) … so what?

That’s not winning a playoff series.

If they win the next (first real) series, then fine, they broke the curse.
I don't give a rip one way or another with debating whether or not beating the Blues Jays would constitute "winning a playoff series".

First things first, the curse is 18 straight Post Season losses since 2004 which also includes a 1 and Done Wild Card loss to the Yankees in 2017. Not "winning a series" is an afterthought for me personally.

They haven't advanced in the PostSeason since 2002. That includes Best of 1s, 3s and 5s. If the Twins win a game either Tuesday or Wednesday, I will worry about the secondary awful achievement.

Sorry Iowa, you deserved better than this. You'll be able to catch all of our world series games though.

giphy.gif

I realize I am in the minority, but I much prefer afternoon post season games. Earlier the better for me as well with mass transit from where I live on a weekday with commuter buses (I'm going to Game 1).
I might try to stay away from online and watch the recorded version without knowing the results. I hate doing it that way but we’ll see.

I might try to stay away from online and watch the recorded version without knowing the results. I hate doing it that way but we’ll see.
Make sure to turn off the phone notifications or have it off completely. I got burned on the Ryder Cup yesterday, found out they officially lost when I was about 30 minutes behind.

Rookie mistake.

Top Bottom