All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

We have two starters who are better than Verlander. Bring him on.

Verlander is Verlander so I get it with him. But he is getting old. Who else in that rotation scares you? Valdez has not been very good the 2nd half of the season and he just gave up 6 ER against the Royals his last start.
Good counter point, just thinking when it's Best of 3, Verlander by himself can get them halfway there. By no means would I be writing the Twins off, if that's how it plays out. I just would prefer to take a chance against a non-certain 1st Ballot HoFer.

as of 11:00pm Tuesday -

Angels up 9-1 over Texas
Seattle up 5-0 over Astros
Toronto lost to Yankees 2-0
Tampa Bay beats Red Sox 9-7
Orioles beat Nationals 1-0

if games in progress hold, Seattle will be a half-game behind Houston for #6 seed. Toronto holding onto 1 game lead for #5 seed.

tiny chance for Twins to pass Texas for #2 seed. Twins would have to run the table while Texas goes 1-4 in last 5 games.

A's may be the worst MLB team, but they counter that by having the best unis.

So with 157 games complete, the Twins are leading everybody in strikeouts.

Both pitching and hitting. According to ESPN.

Has that ever happened? Pitching 1,492, Batting 1,608.

The Twins can still get the #2 seed if:

we win our last four games;

Seattle sweeps their four games with Texas;

and Houston loses at least two of three at AZ.

barring a miracle comeback, looks like the Stros will beat Seattle (up 8-3 in the 9th).

so it looks as if the Stros will have a 1.5 game lead over Seattle for the #6 seed.

Seattle wraps up with 4 vs. Texas while the Stros get 3 w/ Arizona.

Texas beat the Angels 5-0. TX needs to win 1 of 4 vs Seattle to lock up the #2 seed.

Twins have 2nd best AL record since all star break (Orioles). I get that we haven't had the toughest schedule, but still should be able to go into the playoffs with confidence.

Any other seam heads out there try this? Warning it's quite addicting. I finally got a perfect board yesterday after a few weeks of failed efforts.

Twins Alert on the Grid today.

I went with this afternoon's starting pitcher, the 1979 AL starting SS & the franchise's record holder for a hitting streak.

Twins Alert on the Grid today.

I went with this afternoon's starting pitcher, the 1979 AL starting SS & the franchise's record holder for a hitting streak.
I went with the other pitcher traded for last year that was a big bust, one of the two pitchers acquired for Gary Ward (which was a dark day in my youth, loved Ward when I was a kid), and the middle infielder with a stellar mustache who was in the trade package that brought Bruno to the Twins.

If you venture over to the NBA and NFL, Minnesota is represented on both grids there too.

I went with the other pitcher traded for last year that was a big bust, one of the two pitchers acquired for Gary Ward (which was a dark day in my youth, loved Ward when I was a kid), and the middle infielder with a stellar mustache who was in the trade package that brought Bruno to the Twins.
Those had to be impressive in the rarity column. For Twins-Angels I could rip off a dozen names from '77-'85 (including Bruno himself).

Wardo was a fan favorite of mine too, but looking back that trade with the Rangers was in the Twins favor.

when you get down to the top 6 teams in the league, no matter who the Twins face, it's going to be a good team.

having said that, I will admit that I would rather see the Twins play Seattle. Houston - IMHO - has a more solid lineup top to bottom. and Houston has Verlander and Valdez to lead the starting pitchers.

I'm not saying the Twins cannot beat Houston - but I just like their chances better against Seattle.

If you venture over to the NBA and NFL, Minnesota is represented on both grids there too.
I went with today's #3 hitter, a left-handed pitcher sharing a name with an old music star, and the middle reliever who was traded for Alexi Casilla in the mid 2000's.

Reported on the Twins Radio Network, per Rocco, Carlos Correa will not be traveling with the squad to Denver for the final series against the Rockies. No setbacks, he will continue play in simulated games at Target Field.

Reported on the Twins Radio Network, per Rocco, Carlos Correa will not be traveling with the squad to Denver for the final series against the Rockies. No setbacks, he will continue play in simulated games at Target Field.
Makes sense for Correa.

If they are even remotely considering putting Buxton on the play-off roster, he needs to be activated and go to Colorado and play. You can't put him out there in a play-off game having not played an MLB game in 2 months. That would be insanity. And if you're only using him as a pinch-runner, Stevenson is a better option at this point.

Rookies' Raking (From our friend @MLB - Do Hyoung-Park)

As the Twins near the playoffs, they know they couldn’t have made it this far without the contributions of their standout rookies on offense -- Julien, Lewis and Wallner -- and now, Varland is making his push to be a force out of the bullpen in the postseason, too.

Here are a few highlights to show how much impact they’ve made:

• Twins rookies have hit six grand slams this season, the most by any team’s rookies in AL/NL history, per club PR. Lewis has four, of course, the most in a season by a player in club history. Wallner has two, including his 463-footer from Tuesday night that was the longest grand slam by a Twins player recorded by Statcast.

• As pointed out by our Mike Petriello, Julien, Lewis and Wallner give the Twins three rookies with at least 200 plate appearances and at least a 120 OPS+ (a league-adjusted measure of overall offensive production), the most by any team in baseball.

• Again, pointed out by Twins PR, the last time any team had three rookies with at least a 120 OPS+ came 93 years ago, by the 1930 Cardinals.

Last edited:

Makes sense for Correa.

If they are even remotely considering putting Buxton on the play-off roster, he needs to be activated and go to Colorado and play. You can't put him out there in a play-off game having not played an MLB game in 2 months. That would be insanity. And if you're only using him as a pinch-runner, Stevenson is a better option at this point.
Later Gladden added that Gordon, Buxton & Lewis all are staying in MSP with Correa.

Top Bottom