All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Verlander is listed as the probable pitcher tomorrow for Astros. Seattle is only one game back and has the tiebreaker with Houston so if it's still close I think he throws Saturday and then wouldn't be available again until a possible Game 3. So as it is now it would be looking like Javier, Valdez, Verlander if they make it in.

For Seattle, Gilbert would be in line to start Game 1. It's still TBD for Saturday and Sunday but I'm guessing it will be Castillo and Kirby. Which means Castillo could go in Game 3 and Kirby wouldn't be available as a starter in the first round. So probably Gilbert, Woo, and Castillo for them.

LaVelle had a story in the Strib about Buxton. a few highights: (see portion in bold while I duck to get out of the line of fire)

Buxton is going to hit, run and take fly balls in center at Target Field while the Twins are in Colorado this weekend. This will be his attempt to prove he can contribute to the playoff cause.

But if Buxton proves that the knee has improved enough to allow him to handle defensive duties, Baldelli is open to using him in the first round of the playoffs. Baldelli must cut his roster to 26 players for the wild-card round.

Buxton confirmed the initial plan to have him open the season as the DH was expected to be temporary. Maintenance on the knee was more extensive than anticipated, as the knee swelled up more than once during the season. He has played with discomfort for much of the season, even in a DH-only role.

One encouraging sign for the future is that Twins trainer Nick Paparesta noted recently the surgically repaired part of Buxton's knee continues to improve. And there's no indication the injury could be a problem next year or beyond.

Carlos Rodon (NYY) tonight:
8 ER, 0 IP
Kinda rough on the era.

Steer (23) and Encarnacion (13) both homer tonight. 0.819 and 0.820 ops's.
With all our young lefty bats, those guys would've fit into our lineup just right. Pun not intended.

Last edited:

It wasn't pretty but Twins won the game. Joe Ryan serving up HR's - I'm starting to think that Maeda gets the game #3 start.

looking at the playoff race, it dawned on me that Houston could still pass Texas and win the West. That would have the Twins hosting Texas in the Wild Card round. if the two teams tie, Houston wins the tie-breaker based on head-to-head results during the season.

We’ve talked about SD here before. It’s amazing how that team couldn’t get into the playoffs.

looking at the playoff race, it dawned on me that Houston could still pass Texas and win the West. That would have the Twins hosting Texas in the Wild Card round.
Not necessarily. If Houston passes Texas, and Toronto loses it’s last two games to the Rays, it would be a three-team tie between Toronto, Seattle and Texas, in which case Texas would be the #5 seed, Seattle the #6 seed (playing us in the first round), and Toronto would be out. Seattle can still win the West, but to do so, they actually need to NOT pass Houston - they need the division to end up a three-way tie, not a two-way tie with Texas because they lose that tiebreaker. It’s still possible we could be playing any one of four different teams in the first round. Gotta love this crazy chaos.

LaVelle had a story in the Strib about Buxton. a few highights: (see portion in bold while I duck to get out of the line of fire)

Buxton is going to hit, run and take fly balls in center at Target Field while the Twins are in Colorado this weekend. This will be his attempt to prove he can contribute to the playoff cause.

But if Buxton proves that the knee has improved enough to allow him to handle defensive duties, Baldelli is open to using him in the first round of the playoffs. Baldelli must cut his roster to 26 players for the wild-card round.

Buxton confirmed the initial plan to have him open the season as the DH was expected to be temporary. Maintenance on the knee was more extensive than anticipated, as the knee swelled up more than once during the season. He has played with discomfort for much of the season, even in a DH-only role.

One encouraging sign for the future is that Twins trainer Nick Paparesta noted recently the surgically repaired part of Buxton's knee continues to improve. And there's no indication the injury could be a problem next year or beyond.
Just say no. Focus on Opening Day 2024.

It wasn't pretty but Twins won the game. Joe Ryan serving up HR's - I'm starting to think that Maeda gets the game #3 start.

looking at the playoff race, it dawned on me that Houston could still pass Texas and win the West. That would have the Twins hosting Texas in the Wild Card round. if the two teams tie, Houston wins the tie-breaker based on head-to-head results during the season.
I think Ryan still starts but has a very short leash with Maeda backing him up. Makes more sense than the reverse.

Blue Jays lose in extras. It’s still possible Canada’s team doesn’t make the postseason.

So it’s Houston unless they win and Toronto loses. I’m guessing Houston rests their best players because getting a higher seed gets them Tampa in the 1st round. I’m guessing they’d rather play MN.

Edit: Houston can still win the division with a win and Texas loss. Will be interesting to see how they handle the game tomorrow.

Last edited:

Best time of year, everyone’s a contender.

What’s everyone’s guess on their record? I’ll go with 88-74. If they stay pretty healthy, it could be even better.
C’mon boys, win one more tomorrow and make me look like a genius.

from ESPN:

The American League West is still up for grabs with one game to go; a Rangers win on Sunday against the Mariners or an Astros loss to the Diamondbacks would clinch the division for Texas. The Astros hold the tiebreaker over the Rangers, however, so a Houston win and Texas loss on Sunday would clinch the division for the Astros.

here's where I need help. If Houston wins Sunday while Texas and Toronto lose, Houston and Texas would have 90 wins and Toronto 89. so in that scenario, Houston wins the West, and - I think - Texas is the #5 seed and Toronto #6. amirite?

so with one day left in the season, the Twins could still potentially play Houston or Toronto. I don't think there's any scenario in which the Twins play Texas.

--------
as far as Saturday's game - even with the Coors field factor, I think Kuechel has pitched himself out of any consideration for the playoff roster.

FWIW - on Twitter (I refuse to call it "X") - I'm seeing a lot of Toronto fans who want the Jays to tank their last game on Sunday - because the fans think the Twins would be an easier opponent than the Rays.

on a technical level, that may be true. Tampa Bay has the 4th best record in MLB this season.

just wondering if the Twins would consider that bulletin-board material?

(time to go to bed......just waiting to see who wins the Canelo Alvarez fight)

Both the Twins and Marlins made the playoffs.

The “winner” of the trade won’t be known for years.

Salas did not have a good year at High-A, but was 2 years younger than the average player. Chourio is only 18 had an OK year in the FCL despite being 1.4 years younger than the average player.

Both the Twins and Marlins made the playoffs.

The “winner” of the trade won’t be known for years.

Salas did not have a good year at High-A, but was 2 years younger than the average player. Chourio is only 18 had an OK year in the FCL despite being 1.4 years younger than the average player.

At this point, I am happy with the trade.

FWIW - on Twitter (I refuse to call it "X") - I'm seeing a lot of Toronto fans who want the Jays to tank their last game on Sunday - because the fans think the Twins would be an easier opponent than the Rays.

on a technical level, that may be true. Tampa Bay has the 4th best record in MLB this season.

just wondering if the Twins would consider that bulletin-board material?

(time to go to bed......just waiting to see who wins the Canelo Alvarez fight)
I would feel the same way if I were them. Too many unknowns with Correa and Lewis as well.

Top Bottom