All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Interesting tidbit from Reusse’s column regarding what happens if Royce isn’t ready for the playoffs, who gets added as an extra infielder?

The Twins added Trevor Larnach to replace Correa and Jordan Luplow to replace Lewis — both outfielders. Assuming Lewis can't play starting Oct. 3, they need an infielder … and they do have the option of adding either Austin Martin or Brooks Lee, who spent all season in the minors.

Martin would be favorite in that circumstance, since he is required to be protected on the 40-player roster this winter because of professional service time, while Lee would not have that requirement this winter (unless promoted).

They are only 3 games back of the 2 seed, with 8 games left against garbage opponents, while Texas, Seattle and Houston all have to beat up on each other.

Yesterday’s loss pretty much eliminated the minuscule chance of the second seed. #3 it is!

Per Shama:

Twins president Dave St. Peter is excited about his club’s expected hosting of an opening American League Wild Card series starting October 3 at Target Field. Minnesota should have a couple of clear advantages in the best two of three games series.

The starting pitching tandem of Pablo Lopez and Sonny Gray, with their experience and talent, is an asset past Twins playoff teams have often been without. “We have enough depth with the starting staff, and enough talent at the top of the rotation, that I think teams are concerned about matching up against the Twins,” St. Peter told Sports Headliners. “And that hasn’t always been the case in the postseason where we maybe haven’t had the starting pitching depth.”

Who would the game three starter be in the playoffs? Nobody of authority is saying right now but it’s clear the Twins can choose between two solid starters in Kenta Maeda and Joe Ryan.

The other first round advantage for the AL Central Division champion Twins is they will be playing all games at home. “We would much rather play at home and have players in their own beds in an environment that they’re very comfortable,” St. Peter said. “But the reality is we’re going to have to pitch well. We’re going to have to play good defense. We’re going to have to get some timely hitting if we’re going to win. We recognize other teams are in the postseason for a reason. But would we rather play at home? Yes, there’s no question about that.”

The trade that brought Lopez to the club in the offseason in exchange for 2022 AL batting champion Luis Arraez was controversial for many Twins fans. Arraez, now on his way to a NL batting title, has come through for the Marlins but so too has Lopez who has given the club a second quality veteran starter to pair with Gray in the regular season and playoffs.

“Pablo Lopez has been everything we thought he would be and more,” St. Peter said. “We feel like it’s a win-win trade probably for both teams because Louie really impacted the Marlins in a lot of special ways.”

Win Twins!!

The twins have rewritten the record books today. Struck out for the 1,597 time in a season. I know they worked hard for this accomplishment and wanted to congratulate them.

Texas completes a sweep of the Mariners and create a little separation in the West. Astros just got swept at home by KC (go figure). Houston and Seattle start a critical 3-game set tomorrow - could go a long way towards settling who we play.

Twins win to close out Angels series. Jeffers a big day with a HR and a triple. Ryan gave up 3 runs in 6 innings with 10 K's. allowed 7 hits including 3 doubles (but no HR's). bullpen 3 scoreless innings in relief. (Varland, Floro, Funderburk)

this was odd - Paddack was going to pitch the top of the 7th - then there was a rain delay. after the rain delay, instead of having Paddack warm up again, they brought in Varland. But because Paddack had been announced as the pitcher before the rain delay, he still shows up in the box score.

------- -------
and this: Luis Arraez is out for Miami with an ankle injury. How did it happen? the lights in the stadium were dimmed for the "closer entrance." Arraez tripped going down the steps into the dugout because he couldn't see with the lights dimmed. you can't make this stuff up........

Twins win to close out Angels series. Jeffers a big day with a HR and a triple. Ryan gave up 3 runs in 6 innings with 10 K's. allowed 7 hits including 3 doubles (but no HR's). bullpen 3 scoreless innings in relief. (Varland, Floro, Funderburk)

this was odd - Paddack was going to pitch the top of the 7th - then there was a rain delay. after the rain delay, instead of having Paddack warm up again, they brought in Varland. But because Paddack had been announced as the pitcher before the rain delay, he still shows up in the box score.

------- -------
and this: Luis Arraez is out for Miami with an ankle injury. How did it happen? the lights in the stadium were dimmed for the "closer entrance." Arraez tripped going down the steps into the dugout because he couldn't see with the lights dimmed. you can't make this stuff up........
Arraez had been banged up already so this probably made it worse.

The twins have rewritten the record books today. Struck out for the 1,597 time in a season. I know they worked hard for this accomplishment and wanted to congratulate them.
There actually were several Ks that took literally no effort at all.

------- -------
The Minnesota Sports Gods forgot Arraez is no longer a Twin. They regret the error. They will hobble Max Kepler this week to make up for it.

The more balanced schedule hurts them in terms of a Wild Card (or 1st Round bye), but the other AL Central Teams are impacted just as much in terms of competing for the Division.

I'm going 81-81.
So I admit I undersold the Twins fortunes. If you told me these things I would have said 81 Ws was incredibly optimistic:

1. Buxton - 0 innings in CF.
2. Mahle TJ surgery in May.
3. Miranda - Total flame out in sophomore campaign.
4. Jorge Lopez - Total flame out as set up man.
5. Losing records against both the Guards and Tigers.

They proved me wrong by:

1. Solid rotation by the other 5 remaining starters.
2. Kepler going from a DFA candidate to now a debate to pick up his option.
3. Kids stepped up, especially Lewis when it looked like at the All Star break my prediction was a prophecy.
4. Jeffers.
5. Role players did their jobs.

So I admit I undersold the Twins fortunes. If you told me these things I would have said 81 Ws was incredibly optimistic:

1. Buxton - 0 innings in CF.
2. Mahle TJ surgery in May.
3. Miranda - Total flame out in sophomore campaign.
4. Jorge Lopez - Total flame out as set up man.
5. Losing records against both the Guards and Tigers.

They proved me wrong by:

1. Solid rotation by the other 5 remaining starters.
2. Kepler going from a DFA candidate to now a debate to pick up his option.
3. Kids stepped up, especially Lewis when it looked like at the All Star break my prediction was a prophecy.
4. Jeffers.
5. Role players did their jobs.

I would add that even though they have struggled against TB going 1-5, they are 17-15 combined against the rest of the potential AL playoff teams.

I would add that even though they have struggled against TB going 1-5, they are 17-15 combined against the rest of the potential AL playoff teams.
Of the possible opponents, I'd have TB and HOU as our two (2) least favorable.

I've been critical of the team all year. Fire Falvey. Fire Rocco. Fire the hitting coach. Fire the hotdog vendors. Waive Joey. Only one (1) of those has proven to be remotely accurate.

I'm proud of these guys. My expectations for the playoffs are as low as they were in 1987 but we know crazy things can happen!

Top Bottom