All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Apparently Kepler and Gallo are both unavailable with injuries but no roster moves. Nothing new under Dr Nick Papa Rest.

I hate when they do this. Put one / both on the IL and get Polanco or Julien or Wallner up.

Apparently Kepler and Gallo are both unavailable with injuries but no roster moves. Nothing new under Dr Nick Papa Rest.

I hate when they do this. Put one / both on the IL and get Polanco or Julien or Wallner up.
They were 2 busy celebrating the 3-2 win ( gave you recovered yet?) and that we won’t be sub 500 after the weekend 😉

They were 2 busy celebrating the 3-2 win ( gave you recovered yet?) and that we won’t be sub 500 after the weekend 😉
I realize that's in jest, but obviously Gallo was ailing before the celebration, as he was pinch hit for by Gordon, when they were down 1 with runners on base.

It definitely wasn't a strategic move.

I realize that's in jest, but obviously Gallo was ailing before the celebration, as he was pinch hit for by Gordon, when they were down 1 with runners on base.

The bigger issue is Kepler. It's not even a downgrade from him to Wallner or Julien. If he can't play by day 2 after the injury he should go on the IL. Same for any position player not named Buxton or Correa.

I didn’t see the game and I was poking fun at another poster who said we’d get swept and be under 500 after the weekend with the Stros

I didn’t see the game and I was poking fun at another poster who said we’d get swept and be under 500 after the weekend with the Stros
I shouldn't have let the Twins 1-15 record last year against the Astros, Yankees and Dodgers cause pessimism. 😎

- Outside of one bullpen hiccup, pitching has been unbelievable.
- Kudos to Falvey for bringing in Taylor, Farmer, Solano.
- Need Buxton in the lineup, even if it means he plays no defense this season.

one advantage of having the AAA team 10 miles away is that the Twins can make very quick moves if both teams are at home.

In today's Strib, Rocco said they initially thought Kepler would be a 1 or 2-day deal, so they were not going to put him on the IL. But Kepler apparently came to the ballpark Friday and his knee was not getting any better, so Rocco said they had to decide whether to put him on the IL.

On Gallo, Rocco said that Gallo had been dealing with some soreness for a couple of days, and something he did in Friday's game apparently aggravated the situation.

I'm guessing that the news on Gallo forced their hand and they had to put Kepler on the IL to get a healthy body on the roster. the backup plan was using Gordon in the OF.

Really have enjoyed Provus on the telecast. Morneau of course top notch as well.
Big improvement over when I used to mute games due to Blyleven.

Really have enjoyed Provus on the telecast. Morneau of course top notch as well.
Big improvement over when I used to mute games due to Blyleven.
I absolutely love having Perkins on the field too with the cut-ins once in awhile. Provus will be the natural replacement for Bremer when he retires. Which I would expect to happen fairly soon.

Really good at-bats today. Larnach just keeps hitting. Farmer is hot. I'm surprised how much more Vazquez has played than Jeffers (good surprise). Buxton looks very comfortable at the plate so far.

- Outside of one bullpen hiccup, pitching has been unbelievable.
- Kudos to Falvey for bringing in Taylor, Farmer, Solano.
- Need Buxton in the lineup, even if it means he plays no defense this season.
17 Ks today by Twins pitching

💯 on Buck as his stick gives us a dimension we don’t have at present - a hitter who can get hot and carry us. Taylor isn’t a significant drop off in defense, as evidenced by his 2021 Gold 🧤 and the fears of the bottom of the order being a black hole 🕳️ have thus far been unfounded, as Farmer and Vasquez have produced.

Last edited:

Yes, I knew you were giving him the needle, which was why I had a qualifier.

Just in case anyone else was wondering about those hideous patches the Astros are wearing, I looked up this on the googles:

17 Ks today by Twins pitching

💯 on Buck as his stick gives us a dimension we don’t have at present - a hitter who can get hit and carry us. Taylor isn’t a significant drop off in defense, as evidenced by his 2021 Gold 🧤 and the fears of the bottom of the order being a black hole 🕳️ have thus far been unfounded, as Farmer and Vasquez have produced.
With how good the pitching has been lately, Buxton not playing in the field is less significant. I want him to play the field more when Polanco and Kirilloff return, but right now it isn’t a big deal.

I absolutely love having Perkins on the field too with the cut-ins once in awhile. Provus will be the natural replacement for Bremer when he retires. Which I would expect to happen fairly soon.

100%. Perkins really good on field and also with star of the game interview.

Really good at-bats today. Larnach just keeps hitting. Farmer is hot. I'm surprised how much more Vazquez has played than Jeffers (good surprise). Buxton looks very comfortable at the plate so far.

Rocco raving after the game today regarding how much Vasquez is helping the pitching staff.

Rocco raving after the game today regarding how much Vasquez is helping the pitching staff.
I’m glad he stuck with it - read an article some place that when he signed Rocco said, Vasquez wasn’t coming here to split time - he’s the primary backstop.

Jeffers had ample opportunity to win that role and has shown his bat isn’t up to it - I think he’s fine as a backup, as he can hit a bit and he’s not catching with a skillet ala Sanchez.

Not Twins related but still amazing.

Looked up the boxscore. Chattanooga trailed 5-0 going into the last inning. The other team proceeded to use 3 pitchers in effort to close out the game, but ended up surrendering 7 runs with no hits.
Truly amazing. Wonder what the opposing manager was thinking as that inning progressed

Looked up the boxscore. Chattanooga trailed 5-0 going into the last inning. The other team proceeded to use 3 pitchers in effort to close out the game, but ended up surrendering 7 runs with no hits.
Truly amazing. Wonder what the opposing manager was thinking as that inning progressed
So this is what it’s like to play against a Rocco Baldelli managed team

We did it with Kohl Stewart. We need to do the same with Gordon.

I dont give a fuck if you used a top 5 pick on a guy. If he cant play, he cant play

Top Bottom