All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I wonder how much the concessionaires are losing with how fast these games are going? Delaware North is paying the twins a lot of money and with games only taking 2 hours they are losing a lot of potential sales time. Not to mention with beer sales ending at the 7th you might only have 90 minutes or so to enjoy beer from the first pitch.

They need to keep beer sales going to the end of the game and keep the special bar areas open after the games.

That said this is the greatest baseball season in the history of baseball with how fast they are moving.
Peole will adjust. Stay late for a beer or come early. Is the 7th inning thing a state law?
Reusse mentioned on twitter that MLB revised their guidelines to the end of the 8th inning. I wasn't able to find an official announcement though in a brief google search.

I would also argue, if attendance increases because of the rule changes that would offset shortened game time.

I am missing the point of this comment.

Decades ago you were also limited to a hot dog, popcorn, and nuclear waste nacho cheese. That was before everything was about making as much money as humanly possible and providing a “premium” experience. There also was not a company paying the twins millions if not tens of millions of dollars a year to provide their concession items for them. If the concession people are not making as much money then the twins won’t get as much money when it’s time to renew the contract.
I don't think the concession vendor bids $X million upfront. I believe the Twins simply get a cut of the $$. So if people buy less the Twins get less. But I think most people will adjust and still spend what they were going to. In any event, the rule changes were absolutely necessary for the long-term future of the game.

I don't think the concession vendor bids $X million upfront. I believe the Twins simply get a cut of the $$. So if people buy less the Twins get less. But I think most people will adjust and still spend what they were going to. In any event, the rule changes were absolutely necessary for the long-term future of the game.
Couldn't both be true? An upfront guarantee bid plus a share of gross/net sales? That was my assumption.

I wonder how much the concessionaires are losing with how fast these games are going? Delaware North is paying the twins a lot of money and with games only taking 2 hours they are losing a lot of potential sales time. Not to mention with beer sales ending at the 7th you might only have 90 minutes or so to enjoy beer from the first pitch.
Pro tip - preparty you rookie!
They need to keep beer sales going to the end of the game and keep the special bar areas open after the games.

That said this is the greatest baseball season in the history of baseball with how fast they are moving.

Take advantage of ordering from your seat. Miss less of the game. Pretty sure you can't do that for beer though...

A lot of people probably still don't realize this but you can actually bring food into Target Field. There's restrictions on it I think but still can save money that way.

Take advantage of ordering from your seat. Miss less of the game. Pretty sure you can't do that for beer though...
It’s about the game only taking a little over 2 hours now vs previous games where it took 3 hours. Not standing in line, which you can still see the game thanks to the amazing stadium design.

simple solution - drink faster.

seriously, I was reading an article that said some of the bar/restaurant spaces at Target Field are allowed to say open for a period of time after the game ends, so there is that option for people who approach the games more as a social event.

on the game times, I saw a chart showing average length of MLB games over the years. If you go back to the 1980's, average game times were a little over 2hrs, 30 minutes. then, as the years went by, game times started getting longer until recently when you had games running for 3hrs,10 minutes on average.

in essence, what the new rules have done is take baseball back to the way it used to be. the only thing lost is about a half-hour of dead time - and I say good riddance.

Twins have 9 hits in the 4th-8th innings and only scored the one run because of a wild pitch. That’s very hard to do.

Good win and likely wouldn’t happened last season!

Bring on more optimism
I don’t know what was going on with Maldonado behind the plate (losing the ball in the background, getting crossed up on pitches, whatever) but that sure made a difference in the game.

I don’t know what was going on with Maldonado behind the plate (losing the ball in the background, getting crossed up on pitches, whatever) but that sure made a difference in the game.
I ordered it via Roku and just like last season, there is a technical glitch, so I can’t watch the games live - annoying 🚨

Top Bottom