All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Honestly your logic was right.

No bad weather. Just a little colder.

The Twins way is to say fuck the fans and those who already made plans and took off work. "Try and get a different day off even though theres no rain or snow in forecast".
I think this will likely help attendance. There is still plenty of ticket inventory.

Nicer day, Good Friday so already have it off, early start to the weekend, no Gopher hockey conflict...I just may show up. There was 0.0% chance me attending on Thursday afternoon.

Honestly your logic was right.

No bad weather. Just a little colder.

The Twins way is to say fuck the fans and those who already made plans and took off work. "Try and get a different day off even though theres no rain or snow in forecast".
You seem to hate everything Twins related.

This was a no-brainer move. It's not just a little colder. A windchill difference of 26 vs 41 at first pitch. This has been the way Opening Day has been done for years, everyone should know that if they're paying attention.

last thing the Twins want is news coverage of fans shivering through a frigid Opening Day with a less-than-full stadium.

with a lower season ticket base, the Twins are heavily dependent on walk-up buying and spur-of-the-moment sales.

if the weather is crappy, that kills your walk-up sales. If it's a nice day, you're more likely to say, what the heck, let's go to the ball game.

last thing the Twins want is news coverage of fans shivering through a frigid Opening Day with a less-than-full stadium.

with a lower season ticket base, the Twins are heavily dependent on walk-up buying and spur-of-the-moment sales.

if the weather is crappy, that kills your walk-up sales. If it's a nice day, you're more likely to say, what the heck, let's go to the ball game.
Just the fact there is a potential for "walk-up sales" indicates the situation the Twins are in. In the past the Home Opener is usually sold out weeks/months in advance.

You seem to hate everything Twins related.

This was a no-brainer move. It's not just a little colder. A windchill difference of 26 vs 41 at first pitch. This has been the way Opening Day has been done for years, everyone should know that if they're paying attention.

Hate everything Twins related??

I think I have said how awesome our pitching is like 10 times.

You seem to terribly selective read.

You're right, my bad. Just saw your last two posts. Point taken.

I do hate all things Baldelli and Falvine roster management though yes.

Except Ill give Falvine credit for seeing the writing on the wall with Berrios and legit improving the rotation, even if its not aces. It beats DFA rejects of the past. Been waiting years for a 5 deep rotation

With Kepler iffy tonight, would it be sensible to put Buxton in the outfield?

Nah. Let's give him the day off after DH'ing for 4 games. and throw Willie Castro in the OF and Solano at DH.

I loathe what this game has become and it's only going to get worse from here.
Far be it from me to defend Rocco, but they've already said Buxton's not playing CF anytime soon and he was probably always getting tonight or tomorrow off. It makes sense to "punt" a bit with Maeda vs Alcantarra and go all in tomorrow.

Just the fact there is a potential for "walk-up sales" indicates the situation the Twins are in. In the past the Home Opener is usually sold out weeks/months in advance.
Yeah, selling out the opener should be a given. Even Kansas City pulled that off.

We Minnesotans are beautifully consistent.

We will always find doom and gloom in a 4-0 start.

And, yes, yes, yes... the team started hot last year and then fell flat. But can't we just enjoy ourselves a teeny, tiny bit and enjoy the present win streak? It may end up meaning little in the end, but for right now it is actually pretty nice.
Not as long as we JJ is still on the roster, with no viable long-term replacement in hand.

Gordon and Correa really good baseball IQ

2 outs on 3 pitches facing the guy who throws the most innings in baseball.

Work a damn count

Correa AB #2....1st pitch weak pop up.

Alcantara at 47 pitches through 4. Maeda gonna get no help.

Sandy is averaging 10 pitches an inning. Not looking promising to get him out of the game.

Holy shit now a 4 pitch 5th.

We are gonna let Alcantara sleep walk to a CG shut out. Who suggested this game plan? You literally have got to work the count against this guy.

This is the saddest thing ive ever seen. Poor Kenta

Correa now at 0-3. First two outs on 3 pitches. The next out a 3 pitch K, swinging at all 3 pitches. Veteran leadership.

Rocco is warming up Pagan now?!?! Why did we even show up to the park.

And Meada is hurt after 5 good innings

Bring on Emilo “yeah but he has good stuff” Pagan.

Really promising outing for Maeda. I was actually surprised he went out in the 6th. His stuff looked really good.

Not a big surprise with the bats. There’s a reason he was the Cy Young winner. 3 plus pitches that he can really locate well. It’s a double edged sword. You take pitches and you’re down 0-2. He almost makes the batters swing early.

Really promising outing for Maeda. I was actually surprised he went out in the 6th. His stuff looked really good.
I’m looking forward to see how our rotation holds up as the competition escalates - send in those 🤡

Not a big surprise with the bats. There’s a reason he was the Cy Young winner. 3 plus pitches that he can really locate well. It’s a double edged sword. You take pitches and you’re down 0-2. He almost makes the batters swing early.

Apparently the word on Maeda is that he was just tired. Rocco says he should be fine to make his next start.
He looked like he was really struggling with the pace of play at the end, like it was a challenge to get himself ready throw the next pitch within the parameters of the pitch clock.

No shame in losing to the reigning consensus Cy Young winner. As you can imagine, consensus isn’t frequently attached to that award.
With even more Interleague play, I wonder why they still feel the need to have awards (Cy Young, MVP, Gold Glove, Batting title, etc) for both the American AND National Leagues. Perhaps the MLBPA insists upon it for incentive bonuses.

When the Cy Young was introduced, it was an overall award (1956 - 1966) then in 1967 they split them up for each respective League.

Maybe if they blow up the AL & NL alignments it will change.

With even more Interleague play, I wonder why they still feel the need to have awards (Cy Young, MVP, Gold Glove, Batting title, etc) for both the American AND National Leagues. Perhaps the MLBPA insists upon it for incentive bonuses.

When the Cy Young was introduced, it was an overall award (1956 - 1966) then in 1967 they split them up for each respective League.

Maybe if they blow up the AL & NL alignments it will change.
Probably because MLB went from 16 to 20 teams during that timeframe.

I'm personally fine with it because you still play the majority of your games against your league.

Top Bottom